Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

We have the same amount of defenders as we did last year so I don't agree. Yes, we need pace. One signing such as Browne or Holland would resolve that issue.

We're hardly "very short" are we?

We may have the same numbers defensively but we have less experience. Also, I think we can be improved there.

I probably wouldn't include the word very but I think we're short.

Jerome Sinclair has joined CSKA Sofia. Odd.

That is odd. He's 24 so should be hitting his peak now, and he has to spend a year in an irrelevant league away from the eyes of his parent club and also the top scouts??

Perhaps Watford have completely lost interest and are just winding down his contract, which I believe expires at the end of this season.

That is odd. He's 24 so should be hitting his peak now, and he has to spend a year in an irrelevant league away from the eyes of his parent club and also the top scouts??

Perhaps Watford have completely lost interest and are just winding down his contract, which I believe expires at the end of this season.

Some of the blame must also sit with the player. He had the opportunity to join us last season but he turned us down for vvv-venlo where he plodded along for half a season without any goals. It seems like he's happy picking up his wages from Watford but has lost interest in making a career himself. The fact that 80% of his career goals came in a 4 month spell with us should have made him want to prove himself further at this level. I suspect that he'll drift out of the game at the end of the season and will have no one to blame but himself.

Another Luke Garbutt. Scored a massive £1m+ per year, five year deal at a young age, and then spent the whole time kicking about on loan or playing for the reserves. Just goes to show how ridiculous the money can be at that level, when they can toss these kinds of deals around to young lads after a few decent games.

He was decent for us, nothing remotely against him, but my word. Only 24 and his career stats and history versus the money he’s been paid already looks... bizarre.

They did thump Basel last week to qualify for the Europa League proper.
Which means, if he can get into their team, he'll have a chance to play at the Stadio Olympico later this month.
That's something we couldn't have offered him! Trips to Spotland and Gresty Road are close......but not quite as glamorous.......

• React
Reactions: MJB
There is every chance that any potential new signing, or signings, may or may not be defenders or midfielders. But it wouldn’t be right to name names, unless one or two get out through the press or someone else with form names them first, and then I’ll be happy to confirm that I’ve heard the same. Unless we just don’t sign anybody, which could also be the case. Or not. Depends. I couldn’t possibly confirm or deny until it’s already happened.

Curiously this is Graham Carey's current club, and Carey appears to have settled reasonably well and made 30+ starts in the Bulgarian league, with a few goals to boot.

I did wonder if the link was quite-the-worst-professional-footballer-I-have-ever-witnessed-at-a-club-I-have-regularly-followed, John Inglis....who nonetheless ended his career in Bulgaria and appears to have become quite the agent to the Bulgarian stars...? But then Inglis played at Levski and not CSKA, and so he may not have any involvement in Sinclair's case.

Odd one indeed!

Is Hanson fit? Because I’d imagine he has to go before anyone else comes in. A difficult job in the current market. Ie who wants him and who can afford him ?
I think posters have to take more notice of the economics of the pandemic for lower league football clubs before gaily suggesting we bring in say Marcus Browne.

We really don’t have a pot to pee in. No one in our. League does. Pompey are eg losing £750k a month.

Is Hanson fit? Because I’d imagine he has to go before anyone else comes in. A difficult job in the current market. Ie who wants him and who can afford him ?
I think posters have to take more notice of the economics of the pandemic for lower league football clubs before gaily suggesting we bring in say Marcus Browne.

We really don’t have a pot to pee in. No one in our. League does. Pompey are eg losing £750k a month.
Thats a good point.
The stopping of any crowds coming in, the increase in Covid cases has led to suggestions that, without help from the PL or government, clubs will struggle to survive into the new year.
It is quite possible that the season won't finish.
So clubs priority is survival

Pompey that are *apparently paying players 5k a week?

clubs need to get this straight...you can’t be begging for premier league intervention, then be paying players big wages and complaining about losses.

If the prem intervene, they will most likely want something in return. That something will most likely be B teams.

Surely the money is there as normal from season ticket sales, they didn't drop too much did they?

We never make any significent money from food and drink so that is out of the equation

The income is then on the day fans which will always vary depending on form and opposition

Ifollow will cover your backside to some extent if marketed properly and if the home club get the first 500 from Away fans subscribers and that works the other way too with our traveling support so bar the odd 3-4 that covers that surely?

Pompey that are *apparently paying players 5k a week?

clubs need to get this straight...you can’t be begging for premier league intervention, then be paying players big wages and complaining about losses.

If the prem intervene, they will most likely want something in return. That something will most likely be B teams.
They are paying some of their players more than that.

Surely the money is there as normal from season ticket sales, they didn't drop too much did they?

We never make any significent money from food and drink so that is out of the equation

The income is then on the day fans which will always vary depending on form and opposition

Ifollow will cover your backside to some extent if marketed properly and if the home club get the first 500 from Away fans subscribers and that works the other way too with our traveling support so bar the odd 3-4 that covers that surely?
We normally have about 4000 ST holders but our average crowd is normally c.7,500 - at an average of £15 per ticket x 3,500 bums on seats, that's £50k every home match. Add to that lost sponsorship and box sales, it starts to really add up. There will be some iFollow revenue but I don't think it will plug the gap to any great degree.

Our costs remain fairly static - rent, wages, training ground costs, travel/hotels etc.

We currently lose £2m per year and so we can expect an extra £1m loss this year.

Luckily Uncle Horst and friends are there to support us through this (unless they get bored).

FA cup prize money slashed on top of no crowds in it so no bumper cup games if you are not picked for tv, add in no big league crowds and we will be a decent amount down. Looks like nothing is coming from the premier league, with all the problems starting already with no testing/positive players and rising cases in the country added to an already hectic season I reckon even if we can make it through some other clubs won’t. Not really the season to splash out big bucks.

Returned to full training late last week.
Would be a risk for someone to sign him on loan and have to wait for a few weeks of the loan for him to be up to speed.

Curiously this is Graham Carey's current club, and Carey appears to have settled reasonably well and made 30+ starts in the Bulgarian league, with a few goals to boot.

I did wonder if the link was quite-the-worst-professional-footballer-I-have-ever-witnessed-at-a-club-I-have-regularly-followed, John Inglis....who nonetheless ended his career in Bulgaria and appears to have become quite the agent to the Bulgarian stars...? But then Inglis played at Levski and not CSKA, and so he may not have any involvement in Sinclair's case.

Odd one indeed!

Sinclair is one of two Watford players to join Sofia on loan. Turns out that Watford's current sporting director was at CSKA Sofia from February 2019 until August 2020 when he joined Watford.

I imagine it's a combination of that and the recent history of a few UK/Irish players going over to Bulgaria. Carey like you say, Sofia have also had Tony Watt and Viv Solomon-Otabor in the last couple of seasons. Jordan Graham was supposed to go out to Lokomotiv Plovdiv when still at Wolves but FIFA clearance fell through.

Returned to full training late last week.
Would be a risk for someone to sign him on loan and have to wait for a few weeks of the loan for him to be up to speed.
Depends on what wage contribution they are making and how he would affect their squad numbers. Of course, this all assumes he'd be willing to go anywhere.

We normally have about 4000 ST holders but our average crowd is normally c.7,500 - at an average of £15 per ticket x 3,500 bums on seats, that's £50k every home match. Add to that lost sponsorship and box sales, it starts to really add up. There will be some iFollow revenue but I don't think it will plug the gap to any great degree.

Our costs remain fairly static - rent, wages, training ground costs, travel/hotels etc.

We currently lose £2m per year and so we can expect an extra £1m loss this year.

Luckily Uncle Horst and friends are there to support us through this (unless they get bored).
it was fairly obvious there were to be no crowds and so plenty of time to Market the ifollow subs given this is where the crowd income could come from..You mention 7.500 average gate but of course from the 3.000 non STH A % is away support and if you get the first 500 then then works in our favour for teams that don't travel well andl ikewise for the reverse fixture when our away following would normal far outweigh those clubs travelling away fans.
of those clubs that fill our away end Pompey Sunderland Bristol Rovers , in the case of the first 2 we lose income from1.000 but actual gain this back + more in the reverse fixture when due to their bigger ground we have more away support and with the likes of Rovers Swindon etc they even themselves out.

Now of course The Away game is for many more than just the match but at the moment that's not possible anyway so does not stop the Marketing for ifollow.

Whether people decide to buy is the choice of the individual the same as it is when deciding to go to a game but that's the crux of the matter without ifollow you had nothing but with it you can still follow your team.

it's too simplistic to just hold your hands in the air and declare that the Premier League should bail clubs out when your Matchday income is still potentially there and more.

Back
Top Bottom