Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Is it fair to say Winnall is still guesswork or has anyone got any ITK knowledge?

And then some, if we can provide them with the right amount of service! Would have to be a system that we gradually implement, though. I think our formation is spot on for the way we play and that would be a big change.

Ps I forgot about McGuane so maybe put him in instead of hall
In my opinion, we also need a lot more pace out wide if we are to play 442.
Why couldn’t we play a 4-3-1-2 we could get the pace out wide from Clare down the right could have a mid 3 of Gorrin Brannagan Kelly or Sykes with either Henry or hall in the 10 role behind Taylor and winnall

1599633171814.png
Squint at this image and KR looks like he has some sort of 'Megahand' - I reckon this bit of genetic tinkering has been done to ensure any agreements made on a handshake are doubly binding..... What a guy... how many managers have tinkered with their own DNA for the benefit of the club?
(cant think of any... maybe Denis Smith trying to enhance his hearing to listen out for a deal... or maybe Maurice Evans having eyebrow enhancement surgery to ensure his vision was protected when scouting out a player #oufcandsciencesaluteyou)

(...I need more sleep)

Why couldn’t we play a 4-3-1-2 we could get the pace out wide from Clare down the right could have a mid 3 of Gorrin Brannagan Kelly or Sykes with either Henry or hall in the 10 role behind Taylor and winnall
In principal, 4-3-1-2 sounds good but I wouldnt be confident in replying on Clare or Hall as our wide men. I think the below is one way that it could work but it might leave us exposed on the counter attack. It does present a bit of a selection headache but it also leaves us with a lot of very good options, off of the bench:
LINEUP111599634732469.png
You could bring Agyei on for Osei, Mcguane on for Henry and then you could push Sykes out wide. You also have the options of Joel Cooper for added pace or Gorrin/Kelly to sit in deep, to sure things up or stretch the play. We have a LOT of quality in our midfield. Dare I say, almost too much? Haha.

What a time to be alive!

Sam Winnall would have been an excellent signing pre February 2018. Looking at league goals:
13/14: 23 in 45 for Scunthorpe in League Two.
14/15: 9 in 32 for Barnsley in League One.
15/16: 21 in 43 for Barnsley in League One.
16/17: 11 in 22 for Barnsley in League One, 3 in 14 for Sheff Weds in Championship.
17/18: 1 in 2 for Sheff Weds in Championship, 6 in 17 for Derby in Championship.

The fact he is prepared to drop back to League One (possibly) shows how his has career has been in the last 2.5 years. In hindsight, moving to Sheff Weds from Barnsley might have been a mistake.

Had a serious anterior cruciate knee injury which cut short his Derby County loan spell, required surgery and kept him out for around 10 months.
Since returning he has made 25 appearances in the following 2 seasons with calf and hamstring injuries keeping him out of the squad at times:
18/19: 8 appearances - 1 start, 7 sub. Minutes on pitch - 208, Goals - 0.
19/20: 17 appearances - 9 starts, 8 sub. Minutes on pitch - 757, Goals - 2.

Completed 90 minutes twice in those 25 appearances.

BUT
No doubt that if he can get a mini pre-season in (I assume he hasn't been in at any club since being released by Sheffield Wednesday) and maintain fitness, the quality in his locker should shine through in League One. A decent option off the bench whilst getting fit and then a very useful alternative to Taylor.
Just one of those signings where you're very wary of recent injury record. Lets hope a proper medical is done and not ignored (George Thorne)

Last edited:
Sam Winnall would have been an excellent signing pre February 2018.
The fact he is prepared to drop to League One (possibly) shows how his has career has been in the last 2.5 years.

Had a serious anterior cruciate knee injury which cut short his Derby County loan spell, required surgery and kept him out for around 10 months.
Since returning he has made 25 appearances in the following 2 seasons with calf and hamstring injuries keeping him out of the squad at times:

BUT
No doubt that if he can get a mini pre-season in (I assume he hasn't been in at any club since being released by Sheffield Wednesday) and maintain fitness, the quality in his locker should shine through in League One. A decent option off the bench whilst getting fit and then a very useful alternative to Taylor.
Just one of those signings where you're wary of recent injury record.
Robinson likes to a take a gamble on quality players with a bit of an injury history. Not sure how often it works out but I guess there is no other way to try and get players of that quality in. If he had continued injury free in good form we would have had no chance of signing him.

If it's any help, I signed Sam Winnall on Football Manager following on from my 2019/2020 promotion to the Championship. He scored 11 goals in 35 appearances, primarily as a super sub. This intelligence I'm sure was used by the club to make the signing.

In principal, 4-3-1-2 sounds good but I wouldnt be confident in replying on Clare or Hall as our wide men. I think the below is one way that it could work but it might leave us exposed on the counter attack. It does present a bit of a selection headache but it also leaves us with a lot of very good options, off of the bench:
View attachment 4541
You could bring Agyei on for Osei, Mcguane on for Henry and then you could push Sykes out wide. You also have the options of Joel Cooper for added pace or Gorrin/Kelly to sit in deep, to sure things up or stretch the play. We have a LOT of quality in our midfield. Dare I say, almost too much? Haha.

What a time to be alive!
Is that a 4-3-1-2 or a wide diamond with Henry and Osei out wide either way what is good a few years ago it would have been square pegs in round holes now it’s more square pegs in square holes lol

Sam Winnall would have been an excellent signing pre February 2018. Looking at league goals:
13/14: 23 in 45 for Scunthorpe in League Two.
14/15: 9 in 32 for Barnsley in League One.
15/16: 21 in 43 for Barnsley in League One.
16/17: 11 in 22 for Barnsley in League One, 3 in 14 for Sheff Weds in Championship.
17/18: 1 in 2 for Sheff Weds in Championship, 6 in 17 for Derby in Championship.

The fact he is prepared to drop back to League One (possibly) shows how his has career has been in the last 2.5 years. In hindsight, moving to Sheff Weds from Barnsley might have been a mistake.

Completed 90 minutes twice in those 25 appearances.

BUT
Just one of those signings where you're very wary of recent injury record. Lets hope a proper medical is done and not ignored (George Thorne)
At which point he would have cost a hefty fee and commanded serious wages, likely three times what we are offering now! He's a bit of a punt but down to recovery from injury rather than having to develop a knack of scoring goals at this level which he's shown he can do.

Back
Top Bottom