Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

I really hope he does sign for us, but I don't think he will whether we go up or not. He has to look for a last big pay cheques and that will not materialise at Oxford. With the West Ham lad gone, Browne going back to Middlesbrough, a couple of our top players such as possibly Dickie off, it could well be back to the building up the squad again, as we seem to do each year due to the number of loans we have to rely on.

The loans "we have to rely on" have included Matty Taylor, Ben Woodburn, Marcus Browne, Chris Cadden, Nathan Holland and Liam Kelly! Hardly scraping the barrel!!

Nearly two hours from Heyford to Pompey. Throw in morning rush hour and he might as well sign for Lincoln in the time it would take to get to training.

If he ends up on the south coast it’ll be because there’s a heck of a lot of cash on the table rather than anything to do with convenience.
Have a quiet chat with him, will you? I feel sure you can persuade him that staying with OUFC will be in his best interests. ;)?

And the same result build them up, build our hopes up and then sell and dash our hopes.

Isn't that our model though? The reason why we're losing players is because we're more often than not selling them for a profit. For every 'indispensable' player we've sold, we've almost always found a replacement.

I really hope he does sign for us, but I don't think he will whether we go up or not. He has to look for a last big pay cheques and that will not materialise at Oxford. With the West Ham lad gone, Browne going back to Middlesbrough, a couple of our top players such as possibly Dickie off, it could well be back to the building up the squad again, as we seem to do each year due to the number of loans we have to rely on.
Clubs will be spending less, we’ll pick up some cheap players from Scotland or Ireland and will still be competitive

Eh? We're in the L1 play offs after selling players in previous years and this year.

we are in the play offs and yes because we sold players year after year, and if we’re not promoted? How many more years do we have to sell players to get another Chance to get into the play offs?

Isn't that our model though? The reason why we're losing players is because we're more often than not selling them for a profit. For every 'indispensable' player we've sold, we've almost always found a replacement.
They do find replacements but we start all over again this is the first time in 22 years we have been in with a shot of being in the championship

we are in the play offs and yes because we sold players year after year, and if we’re not promoted? How many more years do we have to sell players to get another Chance to get into the play offs?

Why do you think this is our only shot to get to the play-offs?

Using the strategy employed since MApp came in we have finished:

2015: 13th L2
2016: 2nd L2
2017: 8th L1
2018: 16th L1
2019: 12th L1
2020: 4th L1

With the exception of Pep's season, we have improved on the previous seasons position. Where does the pessimism come from?

Bazzer - what sustainable business model would you suggest to replace the current strategy? Even with player sales, we lose £2-3m per year.

They do find replacements but we start all over again this is the first time in 22 years we have been in with a shot of being in the championship
For a small club who don't own their ground we do very well to compete with bigger teams like Ipswich, Portsmouth, and Sunderland. The model obviously works though it can be frustrating and obviously we've had problems in finding and retaining strikers.

And the same result build them up, build our hopes up and then sell and dash our hopes.

Are we always destined to be that structure though, as it doesn't allow for continuity, always having to rebuild. The only way it would seem to work would be to bring in loan players that we are more likely to be able to sign permanently at the end of the season. It does make for exciting football having strong championship players on loan, but the likes of Browne, Kelly, Taylor, Woodburne and the West Ham lad, don't seem to be in our sights financially to sign permanently, leaving the usual post season hole to fill once again.

Bazzer - what sustainable business model would you suggest to replace the current strategy? Even with player sales, we lose £2-3m per year.
Being in the championship for one as it would bring in better income and investment.
Or are you saying We are no more then a L1/2 club and can’t have ambition? I do appreciate we have to sell to stay as healthy as possible I also know we run at a loss and will never be a profitable club, we will always run at a loss, but if we were
To make the championship our loss may not be as bad although the costs of being on the championship will be greater, but should be able to attract better investment.

Last edited:
For a small club who don't own their ground we do very well to compete with bigger teams like Ipswich, Portsmouth, and Sunderland. The model obviously works though it can be frustrating and obviously we've had problems in finding and retaining strikers.

I agree but and it is a bit all this replaying the 2010 play off final and the promotion game against Wycombe would be for what? Lift the spirits of the fans? Off course it would but and again it is a bit why can’t we go for the championship? looking at the L1 teams we would be classed as mid table team and not promotion contenders.

Now if we were to be promoted this season we have achieved something special, against all odds probably not more down to the sheer magnitude of our manager and those responsible for identifying quality that join us. yes we may cash in on one or two to keep us going but we also need to keep players who have got us where we are in case 1, were promoted and could sell one or two, 2, were not promoted but be in a very good position to try the following season but try and keep what we have to hopefully complete that task.

Are we always destined to be that structure though, as it doesn't allow for continuity, always having to rebuild. The only way it would seem to work would be to bring in loan players that we are more likely to be able to sign permanently at the end of the season. It does make for exciting football having strong championship players on loan, but the likes of Browne, Kelly, Taylor, Woodburne and the West Ham lad, don't seem to be in our sights financially to sign permanently, leaving the usual post season hole to fill once again.
Nathan Holland West Ham lad ?

I agree but and it is a bit all this replaying the 2010 play off final and the promotion game against Wycombe would be for what? Lift the spirits of the fans? Off course it would but and again it is a bit why can’t we go for the championship? looking at the L1 teams we would be classed as mid table team and not promotion contenders.

Sorry, I must be confused. I thought we were in the play-offs, but I must be mistaking us for another Oxford United.

Sorry, I must be confused. I thought we were in the play-offs, but I must be mistaking us for another Oxford United.
Duh for gods sake, I know we are but if we don’t win the play offs, when will we be in them again? It took 6 seasons to get out of L2 and this is our fourth season in L1, we came close in our first season by finishing 8th.
We could if we don’t go up this season may be fortunate next season but then again we may not. Maybe the champions is to much for our small
Club and it’s designed only for Ipswich, Sunderland or Pompey with an occasional outsider in L1 getting an opportunity to play in the championship.

Maybe the champions is to much for our small Club and it’s designed only for Ipswich, Sunderland or Pompey with an occasional outsider in L1 getting an opportunity to play in the championship.

I'd say our club is closer in stature to Coventry, Luton and Wigan than it is to Sunderland, Ipswich and Pompey...

....make of that what you will!

Back
Top Bottom