Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a bit much to say that there is aggression in any view. There is frustration on one hand from those desperate to see new players in, and frustration from those who can maybe see that things will happen in time.

As one of the more positive posters, I've taken a step back because I feel that this is the time of year where every word on here gets pulled apart or over analysed.

But I'll give a little context to our dealings if it helps. We know that a central defender is one of the key positions to find. The club is targeting this position with as much of their budget as possible and are linked with a player who played and scored in Europe last night. However, they have also brought in Jon Guthrie who has done ok in preseason games and would be a decent squad player if needed. If it was just about getting signatures, we could have signed Guthrie already. But surely it's worth keeping all options open at this stage? The lad from Kilmarnock is match fit and wouldn't need much to adjust to the way we play. So we can afford to wait a few days if that's what it takes.

Ched Evans is also an established professional who will be completing his own preseason in terms of fitness. The deal would be complex, his wages will be high and he still attracts mixed views as seen on here. A half season loan with a view to sign in January is not impossible, but would maybe require agreement on possible fees wage sharing etc. So again this can take a few days longer to come together than other deals, but we would be getting someone capable of being Bazzers 20 goal a season man. We could have picked up the kid from Oxford City, or Henry bloody Landers, but why grab the first players that come available when there is so much better?

Of course, everything is speculation until we get the photoshoot in front of the training ground, but every team in the country still has business to do and things will happen in due course. Everything else is just forum guff from all involved (me included!).
Thank you.
Thoughtful and balanced. And reflecting the real world of sometimes complex and sensitive negotiations. Plus a smattering of positivity.

I have been reading all the comments on here for several weeks and find the differing views very interesting. Some on here seem to think that we are a bigger club than I think we actually are and that players should be jumping through hoops to come here. To me, footballers are no different to any other employee. They will all be looking to do what is best for them and their families which means looking at the overall package on offer (just as I would when looking for a new job) including wages, length of contract, prospects for advancement, living costs, travelling distances, schools etc. The list is endless. To quote an example from earlier regarding Joel Grant going to Lincoln instead of us. Maybe we are a bigger club on paper with larger crowds, stadium etc but obviously there was something about Lincoln that suited him and his family better than Oxford. We will get the players in we need and those that do come will come because they want to, like Fosu as he had other options but still signed.
Completely agree. Signing players is complicated.

Karl Robinson hopeful of a signing by the weekend. On other developments: “It’s been quite an interesting 48 hours, phone calls I didn’t quite expect to occur. We’ve acted on them quickly & we’ll see. But there’s a lot of work to be done & a lot of convincing to be done as well”

Hmmmm not too sure what to make of this.
“hopeful signing by the weekend”, yawn! The way things are going I would not be at all surprised if nothing happens by the weekend. But fingers, legs, arms and even nuts crossed.

“Phone calls I didn’t quite expect to occur. We’ve acted on them quickly & we’ll see. But there’s a lot of work to be done & a lot of convincing to be done as well”

I’m worried by this.
Is that clubs coming in for players RK didn’t expect?
Or players touted to us
Or Tiger saying here’s a massive pot of cash

Ouch ?

It’s amazing how people congratulate a player (Nelson et al) for moving to a higher division on a free transfer after running their contract down and yet still expect us to compete with other clubs for the best players.

No transfer fees, no ground income, lower attendances = total reliance on the board to bankroll the club. They already do just to cover our huge seven figure shortfall each season before we even get started.

You do wonder if it is all going to fall apart again, and names mentioned, Evans, that got into the public domain, the Scottish alleged bid we've made, alongside the 2 triallists, all fall by the wayside.

This follows in the wake of us losing out on Wilson, Kashi, Garbutt, Jorge Grant, Sinclair etc.
It seems to come in waves, alongside the annual comment of "going to get business done early."

How can one club have so much bad luck, either that or there's a spin master employed. KR says he wants 5 more. With three weeks before kick off, lets hope these signings appear soon, to give us at least an assemblence of a chance of a good start to the season.

If what we hear is true, why would we want 2 players for 6 months? You either want to play for Oxford or don't.

Everything about this summer has seemed so bitty, Groundhog day again.
I agree, it’s getting tiresome for all involved and from either side of the debate.

Time to sign off for a bit and not obstruct the positive bus!

But why should you. A forum is meant to hear everyone opinions. If the usual suspects don't like it then they are the ones who should leave.

Only a few weeks ago we were being linked with Fosu, Gorrin Rodriguez and Cadden. There were those who said that signing 2 out of 3 would be great, all 3 would be a big statement of intent.

Now, if we are to believe @ECYellow (and they're about as credible as it gets) then we've got 2 1/2 out of the 3, plus real interest in Ched Evans and a £1/2m centre back! And yet we've still got those saying that nothing has changed from last year, Tiger is potless and we've got fundamental issues with our recruitment!!!!

Christ knows how good things will be when we start getting this transfer lark right!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom