Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget ‘decent’, that would be a fantastic start. The striker is the big worry though, we struggled to identify a proper out and out goal scorer under Appleton and it hasn’t yet happened under Robinson.

Knowing we had a genuine finisher (or two) in the ranks would be a big weight lifted off the manager and players.
As has been mentioned before, I wouldn't be surprised to see Whyte playing up top. Would still like to see at least one other striker mind!

The MLS has got better, but it does lack of the bite of European football. Wilson, like any pro, would fancy another tilt at European football when is the prime of his career. As Roofe shows, one good year in League 2 allows you to earn more in 12 months.

Out of the woodwork . We are a div 3 club, three sided ground and not massive crowds . Wait and see who we do sign but why take such pleasure if a player and their agent choose to sign for another club. We are already losing plenty every year and without decent investment would not be in with even a hope of signings like the ones we are trying to get.

Out of the woodwork??
Where have I said I take pleasure if a player chose to sign for another club?? Total rubbish. I maybe impatient, purely because I want whats best for the club, have done for around 35 years. Please respond to any post, but please don't make things up.

we struggled to identify a proper out and out goal scorer under Appleton

bec866c5393d445166c0e27d2d03285e.jpg

Forget ‘decent’, that would be a fantastic start. The striker is the big worry though, we struggled to identify a proper out and out goal scorer under Appleton and it hasn’t yet happened under Robinson.

Knowing we had a genuine finisher (or two) in the ranks would be a big weight lifted off the manager and players.
Careful you’re going to sound like me regarding strikers

As has been mentioned before, I wouldn't be surprised to see Whyte playing up top. Would still like to see at least one other striker mind!

We can’t go into the season gambling that a wide player might make it as our number 9. That would be sheer madness and then you have the problem of replacing a wide player who can be devastating. Why not just buy the striker in the first place and in doing so kill the two other birds with one stone ?

Out of the woodwork??
Where have I said I take pleasure if a player chose to sign for another club?? Total rubbish. I maybe impatient, purely because I want whats best for the club, have done for around 35 years. Please respond to any post, but please don't make things up.
You seem to appear and just post negatively. I do not see impatience only taking an opportunity to say how bad things are etc yes we all want wants best for the club but its not through lack of effort by the club to secure the best players we can

We can’t go into the season gambling that a wide player might make it as our number 9. That would be sheer madness and then you have the problem of replacing a wide player who can be devastating. Why not just buy the striker in the first place and in doing so kill the two other birds with one stone ?

Whyte has played that role before so wouldn't be a massive gamble. Of course that would still leave a gap in the squad, but wingers are generally easier to find.

I still wouldn't be adverse to bringing in an out and out striker but we may already have what we're looking for!

You’re not getting it.

Roofe was not an out and out goal poaching number 9, the sort of striker that gets tap ins in the 6 yard box. He was a wide, floating type forward who could play anywhere across the front or in behind. When we brought him I bet Appleton would have been doing cartwheels if you’d told him Roofe would get a dozen a season because he’d have expected a significant contribution elsewhere in terms of assisting. He exceeded expectation with his goal output. If you’d have told Jim Smith that John Aldridge would get 12 a season when we signed him he’d have gone nuts because his contribution from much past 12 yards out wasn’t that great - or expected to be that great.

Roofe’s goal ratio was impressive for us but so was Frank Lampard’s at Chelsea and there’s no way he could be described as a number 9. My point is that we are right now more in need of an Aldridge than we are a Roofe because we don’t have many goals in us from central areas.

You’re not getting it.

Roofe was not an out and out goal poaching number 9, the sort of striker that gets tap ins in the 6 yard box. He was a wide, floating type forward who could play anywhere across the front or in behind. When we brought him I bet Appleton would have been doing cartwheels if you’d told him Roofe would get a dozen a season because he’d have expected a significant contribution elsewhere in terms of assisting. He exceeded expectation with his goal output. If you’d have told Jim Smith that John Aldridge would get 12 a season when we signed him he’d have gone nuts because his contribution from much past 12 yards out wasn’t that great - or expected to be that great.

Roofe’s goal ratio was impressive for us but so was Frank Lampard’s at Chelsea and there’s no way he could be described as a number 9. My point is that we are right now more in need of an Aldridge than we are a Roofe because we don’t have many goals in us from central areas.

If you are using that example then we actually need Billy Hamilton, as the new striker needs to lead the line and be the targetman.

You’re not getting it.

Was merely (playfully) pointing out Apples had in fact found an out and goal scorer in Roofe - twice!

Not sure a traditional number 9, like we had in the mid-80s, fits into KR’s modern system, but hey, I’d certainly love to have the option of a fox in the box.

Not sure we’ve had one since Tom Craddock (who scored goals but also exemplified what you lose in build-up play by using players who have limited all-round play in offensive areas).

Pitman for example would be a wonderful acquisition which I’d imagine is along the lines of what you’re after.

If you are using that example then we actually need Billy Hamilton, as the new striker needs to lead the line and be the targetman.

Not at all. Aldridge scored goals everywhere he went and had a variety of strike partners - big and small. He just needed the ball putting anywhere between the width of the posts and out to the penalty spot and he was lethal. Lineker was another classic example.

Hamilton was superb but wasn’t on the same planet as Aldridge in terms of sheer finishing. Look how many times in the last few home games, Whyte especially, got to the by line and cut it back to 10 yards out. Aldridge would have had a field day. I liked Sinclair but neither her nor Mackie or any other recent striker we’ve had had the movement or instinct to take advantage of such productive wing play and that’s a criminal waste when you’ve got a talent like Whyte wreaking havoc.

Sinclair's threat improved greatly last season when he was instructed to stay central and wait for the ball to be sent across/through to him. Even in more modern styles of football, there is something to be said for having a bloke close enough to the goal to get on the end of his team mates 'assists'. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom