Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the implication of all these released comments from the club is that next season we WON’T be pushing for promotion. It will be a season of consolidation and development of the younger players. If you’re hoping for Championship football, guys, you’ll need to wait until 2021 at the earliest.
Yes 2021 possibly but at me of those senior and U23’s will move on and yes back to square 1 again. It does now looking like we will have the same start as last season.

if the season started tomorrow then yes we would be in for a struggle. but we’ve got 4 weeks yet so would make sense to wait and see what the squad looks like once our dealings are done. if we line up with 1 cb and just Mackie as our striker then people have every right to moan but let’s give them a chance to finish building the squad before having a meltdown again
But this isn’t doing business early, and with the knock back by Sinclair and I wouldn’t bother with Cadden anymore it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with our club which we’re not privy to and that is the reason why we are struggling to get players over the line.

i think too many people are getting fixated on KR saying we’ll get business done early.
are there that many teams that have got their squads complete and just sat waiting for the 3rd of august?
yes it would’ve been good to get key players before flying out to Portugal but i’m sure things will be looking a lot better in a months time

But this isn’t doing business early, and with the knock back by Sinclair and I wouldn’t bother with Cadden anymore it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with our club which we’re not privy to and that is the reason why we are struggling to get players over the line.
you question if there’s something wrong with our club when it comes to signing players but could it be something simple like cost of living in oxfordshire?
if a player could get similar wages but then have to pay a fairly high % of that just to rent somewhere here maybe that’s a factor in why some seem to turn us down

We're privy to most things wrong with our club, but that hasn't stopped us picking up 2 players on 3 year deals who could have easily gone elsewhere. It didn't stop us signing Sykes who had other options. It didn't stop Mous from taking another year option, or Sam Long extending for another year. It hasn't made a number of first team players demand to leave. It hasn't caused any disharmony behind the scenes at any time in the last 12 months.

Sinclair had the opportunity to sign for a club in the Dutch top flight. That might be no better than the top half of the championship, but if he'd signed for Leeds or Derby would we be blaming our club?

Looking for negatives that don't exist is as pointless as ignoring ones that do. We're a far from perfect mid table league 1 side. We won't win every battle in the transfer market, but that has nothing to do with WUP's, late payments, cold showers or repossessed lawn mowers!!!

Yes 2021 possibly but at me of those senior and U23’s will move on and yes back to square 1 again. It does now looking like we will have the same start as last season.
Odd comment. How, with 4 weeks to go can you say that it looks like we will have the same start as last season? Are you suggesting what 5 points from 11 games?
Our first game is v Sunderland who have made fewer signings than us (as have quite a few in our Division) . Are they goi g to have a bad start or is it only us?

I think the implication of all these released comments from the club is that next season we WON’T be pushing for promotion. It will be a season of consolidation and development of the younger players. If you’re hoping for Championship football, guys, you’ll need to wait until 2021 at the earliest.
Fair points. Just to be clear, yes I have aspirations for us as a club, who doesn't? And getting automatic promotion to the Championship isn't realistic, and I'm not sure the infrastructure is in place to get there or stay there.

What I don't want is for us to be relegated. Feels a bit sad writing that as an aspiration! And to be up there around 6th spot, I think, is a very reasonable request, and keeps our season going longer, and numbers of fans higher both home and away.

I know football is about opinions but I think you're wrong on pretty much every point there.
Of course it is (all about opinion) but what often separates a lower league footballer is pace- and Sam Long doesn't have any. His positional sense is OK, but he's limited.

you question if there’s something wrong with our club when it comes to signing players but could it be something simple like cost of living in oxfordshire?
if a player could get similar wages but then have to pay a fairly high % of that just to rent somewhere here maybe that’s a factor in why some seem to turn us down
So the living cost could and probably are a factor but with so called diet choices ie Cadden and Sinclair or signing it becomes a choice of 2nd or 3rd choices who I assume would not be offered the same as the 1st choices we’ve lost out on, then they will surely struggle even more with the cost of living in Oxfordshire.

If he finds out the plan is to loan him out to an English club I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he told them where to stick it.

You may well be right about Cadden telling Columbus where to go.

But there will be notion of him suddenly “finding out a plan to loan him” to an English club - don’t forget Columbus apparently don’t have an space in their “roster” for another overseas player - at this time if they acquire him, it can only be to loan him out - and if Cadden IS talking to them, he’ll be perfectly aware of that fact.

Getting back to Sam Long.
Cons: he isn't speedy
Pros: he is committed, doesn't shirk a challenge, has decent positional sense, does get forward (not a maraudering fullback - but he does get forward in support), has an affiliation to the club, is a good pro, has proved he can be part of a successful team (latter half of last year).
So surely he deserves to be first choice! What more does he need to do to win people over on here?:
Have some sort of speed transplant?
Somehow become George Baldock?
I'm not fussed about us getting a starting RB because we have one, who will be backup to Sam Long?

surely any player worth his salt would have researched and be aware of living costs wherever he is aiming to go.

i did try to get it across yesterday but stop and think for a moment of the implications of a player considering the U.S.A. in preference to UK and then loaned back to the likes of us...Digest it and try have in mind before critising our manager or owners.

I’m afraid I agree bazzer.
Maybe it has something to do with transferring money from aboard? I don’t know, but it just seems to be taking much longer to get players in the door. Just like last pre season.

Todays Oxford Mail has a strange report.
Meeting over the weekend with the recruiting team all 8 of them!
“Expecting further guidance on what will be possible during the rest of the window“
“Where we are at, where our finances sit and what we have available “.
This suggests KR doesn’t even have clarity over his budget right now! How can KR possibly be talking to players with a view to signing if he doesn’t even know if we can afford the player.
But then counter comments in the same article!
“I’ve possibly got more clarity now than ever before because the board have been really clear”
“never had so much honesty about where we’re exactly at”
Sometimes I don’t want to hear it because I want more”

Makes no sense to me just seems to counter each statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom