Conference Torquay United

A purely empirical exercise, I’ve devised the ultimate fourth division. Clubs that just give the vibes of being in the EFL but nearly always in the lowest division of it. If you told me that any two of these sides were playing each other this weekend, it would so feel like a fourth-division fixture.

In no particular order:
  1. Torquay
  2. York
  3. Carlisle
  4. Bury
  5. Macclesfield
  6. Rochdale
  7. Northampton
  8. Exeter
  9. Leyton Orient
  10. Shrewsbury
  11. Wrexham
  12. Grimsby
  13. Scunthorpe
  14. Hartlepool
  15. Mansfield
  16. Crewe
  17. Walsall
  18. Cambridge
  19. Cheltenham
  20. Doncaster
  21. Newport County
  22. Stockport
  23. Hereford
  24. Darlington
Honourable mentions:
  • Hull City but only before the move to the KC Stadium. Boothferry Park was so fourth tier. Likewise Swansea at the Vetch Field who could fly through the divisions and then fall back just as quickly.
  • Barnet could well qualify for yo-yo status between the fourth tier and NL.
  • Wycombe’s recent history has seen them steer clear of the list. I ummed and ahhed whether they should be there. Colchester and Lincoln also have too many non-league vibes.
Honourable mention for Dagenham and Redbridge.

I also agree that Hull City are a League 2 club.

That’s a bloody good list.

I wonder what percentage of football supporters would put us in the Championship version, given some here think that’s our “natural” level.

I expect 0% outside an OX postcode.
I'd like to think we could become a top 41 club but would struggle to be much more than a top 42 to top 44 club.
Staying in the Championship seems to rely on there being either very poor teams and/or clubs with severe financial problems.
However a new stadium bounce would hopefully boost crowds and team performance.

Rochdale in trouble also. Torquay playing Aveley tomorrow. Population 9000. Just shows how quickly it can happen.

A purely empirical exercise, I’ve devised the ultimate fourth division. Clubs that just give the vibes of being in the EFL but nearly always in the lowest division of it. If you told me that any two of these sides were playing each other this weekend, it would so feel like a fourth-division fixture.

In no particular order:
  1. Torquay
  2. York
  3. Carlisle
  4. Bury
  5. Macclesfield
  6. Rochdale
  7. Northampton
  8. Exeter
  9. Leyton Orient
  10. Shrewsbury
  11. Wrexham
  12. Grimsby
  13. Scunthorpe
  14. Hartlepool
  15. Mansfield
  16. Crewe
  17. Walsall
  18. Cambridge
  19. Cheltenham
  20. Doncaster
  21. Newport County
  22. Stockport
  23. Hereford
  24. Darlington
Honourable mentions:
  • Hull City but only before the move to the KC Stadium. Boothferry Park was so fourth tier. Likewise Swansea at the Vetch Field who could fly through the divisions and then fall back just as quickly.
  • Wycombe’s recent history has seen them steer clear of the list. I ummed and ahhed whether they should be there. Colchester and Lincoln also have too many non-league vibes.

Hali-faax

(Delivered in a 'Grim up North' stylee)

In no particular order:
  1. Torquay
  2. York
  3. Carlisle
  4. Bury
  5. Macclesfield
  6. Rochdale
  7. Northampton
  8. Exeter
  9. Leyton Orient
  10. Shrewsbury
  11. Wrexham
  12. Grimsby
  13. Scunthorpe
  14. Hartlepool
  15. Mansfield
  16. Crewe
  17. Walsall
  18. Cambridge
  19. Cheltenham
  20. Doncaster
  21. Newport County
  22. Stockport
  23. Hereford
  24. Darlington
Honourable mentions:

Quite a lot of clubs not currently in the fourth division, 2 up and down from the conference has ruined it for you a bit, if that hadn’t of changed I reckon a good chunk of these teams would still be battling to finish 16th in the fourth division.

That’s a bloody good list.

I wonder what percentage of football supporters would put us in the Championship version, given some here think that’s our “natural” level.

I expect 0% outside an OX postcode.

Oh, we're prime third tier. Obviously we've had our ups and downs but I suspect if you drew an average league position over all FL seasons we'd end up somewhere in the third tier.

The ultimate third tier to me looks like this. The first 18 or so were easy to reel off but the last six were a lot trickier. Hull and Wigan, for example, have history in the lower leagues but with jazzy new stadiums rise up a few notches. Brentford and Bournemouth need to be pushed back down here to their 'natural' level. I had to put MK Dons in somewhere and there they are ...

I'd be cool with a league that looked like that. And I put Swindon last for the lols.
  1. Oxford
  2. Peterborough
  3. Bristol Rovers
  4. Port Vale
  5. Southend
  6. Plymouth
  7. Blackpool
  8. Rotherham
  9. Gillingham
  10. Brentford
  11. Bournemouth
  12. Millwall
  13. Chesterfield
  14. Wycombe
  15. Huddersfield
  16. MK Dons
  17. Bradford
  18. Wigan
  19. Portsmouth
  20. Barnsley
  21. Luton
  22. Hull
  23. Reading
  24. Swindon

Honourable mention for Dagenham and Redbridge.

I also agree that Hull City are a League 2 club.

Waaaay too non-league for me, Clive.

I would add Colchester to that list, probably relegate Hereford or Macclesfield to the conference, maybe a play off to settle it

Colchester, Hereford and Macclesfield would be a in a forever three way battle to avoid the drop. Up pop Lincoln and Barnet again and then they're replaced with one of the three I just mentioned.
Hali-faax

(Delivered in a 'Grim up North' stylee)

I think an absence of 24 years from the EFL makes them kind of forgettable. Looking into their history, they're prime fourth tier fodder.
Quite a lot of clubs not currently in the fourth division, 2 up and down from the conference has ruined it for you a bit, if that hadn’t of changed I reckon a good chunk of these teams would still be battling to finish 16th in the fourth division.

Yep. It's very much built on vibes. One up and one down would mean a lot of these sides being s**t for years but still in no real danger.

Oh, and a mainstay of 'fourth division' vibes is a team staying up because the winner of the 'Vauxhall Conference' didn't have their ground up to FL standards *chefs kiss 👨‍🍳😘👌*.

I'd be cool with a league that looked like that. And I put Swindon last for the lols.
  1. Oxford
  2. Peterborough
  3. Bristol Rovers
  4. Port Vale
  5. Southend
  6. Plymouth
  7. Blackpool
  8. Rotherham
  9. Gillingham
  10. Brentford
  11. Bournemouth
  12. Millwall
  13. Chesterfield
  14. Wycombe
  15. Huddersfield
  16. MK Dons
  17. Bradford
  18. Wigan
  19. Portsmouth
  20. Barnsley
  21. Luton
  22. Hull
  23. Reading
  24. Swindon
I'd probably swap Huddersfield Town for Swansea City, and MK Dons for Walsall, if you are looking for 'typically third tier'

Oh, we're prime third tier. Obviously we've had our ups and downs but I suspect if you drew an average league position over all FL seasons we'd end up somewhere in the third tier.

The ultimate third tier to me looks like this. The first 18 or so were easy to reel off but the last six were a lot trickier. Hull and Wigan, for example, have history in the lower leagues but with jazzy new stadiums rise up a few notches. Brentford and Bournemouth need to be pushed back down here to their 'natural' level. I had to put MK Dons in somewhere and there they are ...

1. Oxford
  2. Peterborough
  3. Bristol Rovers
  4. Port Vale
  5. Southend
  6. Plymouth
  7. Blackpool
  8. Rotherham
  9. Gillingham
  10. Brentford
  11. Bournemouth
  12. Millwall
  13. Chesterfield
  14. Wycombe
  15. Huddersfield
  16. MK Dons
  17. Bradford
  18. Wigan
  19. Portsmouth
  20. Barnsley
  21. Luton
  22. Hull
  23. Reading
  24. Swindon
Sir, please may I enter the following name for your consideration:

Scunthorpe United

Division 2, or 3?

In no particular order:
  1. Torquay
  2. York
  3. Carlisle
  4. Bury
  5. Macclesfield
  6. Rochdale
  7. Northampton
  8. Exeter
  9. Leyton Orient
  10. Shrewsbury
  11. Wrexham
  12. Grimsby
  13. Scunthorpe
  14. Hartlepool
  15. Mansfield
  16. Crewe
  17. Walsall
  18. Cambridge
  19. Cheltenham
  20. Doncaster
  21. Newport County
  22. Stockport
  23. Hereford
  24. Darlington
Honourable mentions:
Agree fully but harsh on Lincoln, only 5 seasons in non-league since 1920. They're a bigger club than Wycombe.

Who was in the fourth division in the first Football Manager game on the spectrum? That’s the ultimate 4th division for me.

Who was in the fourth division in the first Football Manager game on the spectrum? That’s the ultimate 4th division for me.
Ah, Kevin Toms - programming legend. Good Call. Here's a screenshot...

1708708938147.png

(I had to pick Man City to start the game, so replace them with Reading).

You can play the Spectrum version of Football Manager online here: https://torinak.com/qaop/play/manager

Back
Top Bottom