Time to bring back some old songs?

If people can't learn two/three lines to a song then we deserve to have a shite atmosphere.....

And there was me thinking our anthem is Yellow Submarine. As someone said, it needs to go on for a little bit longer.

You have started a thread like this 2/3 times a season almost every season for as long as I can remember, and it's usually based on the fact you can't personally hear the songs or haven't sung/learnt them yourself!

Is it a moan then?
Brought it up a couple of times and was probably singing the various songs before you were born.

I just want us to have some unique songs, wanting the best for our club is not a moan..

I suspect that for the majority of fans the only time they will get to know a chant is at the match and it is being sung by other people.

If it is a tune that people don't know or have difficulty distinguish words with, it is going to have problems translating to the masses.

For some strange reason this is the song I think we should adopt.;)

The following lyrics are the main chorus, could be sung as is, or adapted.
For example swap ‘explanations’ for Swinedon.

“Yellow river, yellow river is in my mind and in my eyes
Yellow river, yellow river is in my blood, it's the place I love
Got no time for explanations, got no time to lose
Tomorrow night you'll find me
Sleeping underneath the moon at yellow river”

And repeat ad Infinitum.

I haven't sat in the East Stand for years, so I can never make out the words to the one that goes "Yellow and blue, in the mix"

Have to say that I also think Yellow Submarine is closest to being our anthem for me.

But the fact that @Fanatica states that only 10 people are making an atmosphere shows that something isn't right. This isn't aimed at you, it happens with every generation. Starting songs is always really well intended but I do think that they can be over thought at times.

It's no surprise that "yellows, yellows" or "Robinson's Yellow Army" get more people involved. But even then they need time to be allowed to grow. That way you get people on board, even those who haven't learnt all the words.
That's always been the case though. We've had loads of songs, some successful, some quieter, some of the successful ones are complicated and difficult to learn but they've taken off. It's just a willing to learn the words and actually project them at the top of your lungs. There's plenty that try, but most are happier sitting and hoping others do it for them, the same ones are usually the first to complain about the songs too

Build a bonfire is the most embarrassing song ever sung at football IMO, this was sung forty five years ago at my primary school with the words 'prefects' and 'teachers' instead of the names of the clubs, it was cringey even then

You used to sing ‘build a bonfire, build a bonfire, put the prefects on the top, put the teachers in the middle and burn the f*****g lot’ at primary school?!

I'm not sure the issue lies with one of the few fans who try and get the songs going every game
But that is entirely the point. A few are trying to get the songs going but others don't respond. So ideas have been put forward to how it can be changed and the response is that if you don't sing you deserve a shite atmosphere.

But that is entirely the point. A few are trying to get the songs going but others don't respond. So ideas have been put forward to how it can be changed and the response is that if you don't sing you deserve a shite atmosphere.
Atmosphere is quite simple, it's choosing to sing and join in or not... If people would rather not sing we'll have a shite atmosphere, simple as that!
There's more than enough occasions where the same few are singing seriously bog standard songs every fan knows but noone joins in. The Ultras tried to change that mindset for years, with some success, but sadly the majority are just not interested for the average game.

A group of fans who sit on their hands miles from the singers, sitting in a meeting discussing how they can improve the atmosphere are probably a mile off achieving anything of the sort, which is the sad reality.

Back
Top Bottom