Time to bring back some old songs?

good call @Ox4Eva

personally Id like there to be an 'official' song that is unique to OUFC (Man City stole Blue Moon, Bindippers - youll never walk alone, Brum- keep right on to the end of the road , Gass - (goodnight) Irene etc etc) ....

There, corrected it for you...

Bit of an oddity, but “Blue Moon” actually “belongs” to Crewe Alexandra and was half-inched by the less less-successful half of Manchester at some point down the track.

IMHO When You’re Smiling shits on Sweet Caroline from a height and couldn’t take too much of a concerted effort to kick-off...could it?

Or, if we absolutely MUST butcher a song, how much of a lyrical genius would it take to make Perkele’s Yellow and Blue suit our purposes?

Do we need a song by a band from Oxford? Granted it would be preferable but I can't see any of the songs off OK Computer, for example, filling the Kassam with noise. Stoke have adopted Delilah despite Tom Jones having no real connection to the club. Couldn't we do the same?

Totally agree, I've said this before, a lot of the newer songs are far too complicated and its difficult for the uninitiated to join in.. Feels a lot more like x-craptor than fan chants most of the time.

I know it's not politically correct, but my favourite used to be the Gary Glitter, C'mon C'mon... chant in the 90's.

This song has been in my head at one point or another every week since my first game in 2003 - I think we stopped singing it in about 04/05?? Agree though, its my favourite too.

This thread again.
Here’s an idea, start the f*****g songs yourself instead of moaning.
Then you’ll see how annoying it is when everyone sits there watching 10 of you try to create an atmosphere.
That's the spirit!

The point was that sometimes keeping things simple and engaging with the many works far better than having 10 people trying to do it all themselves.

Do we need a song by a band from Oxford? Granted it would be preferable but I can't see any of the songs off OK Computer, for example, filling the Kassam with noise. Stoke have adopted Delilah despite Tom Jones having no real connection to the club. Couldn't we do the same?

Phil Selway was tweeting about the Man City game as he is a life-long Oxford fan.

A Radiohead song could be used but it would almost certainly involve changing the lyrics to something related to the club. Something like High and Dry would work I imagine, although it’s unlikely to take off I imagine.

That's the spirit!

The point was that sometimes keeping things simple and engaging with the many works far better than having 10 people trying to do it all themselves.

A vast majority of songs we created are simple. The complicated ones ended up being the ones that went down best half the time.

[1]Oh Oxfordshire is wonderful, we know the rest...

[2]Cup games: she wore a yellow ribbon

[3]My old man said be a Swindon fan....

[4]What was that bonfire song again that mentions both the swine and Reading, forgotten it?

[5]Chim chiminy...

Was just sitting trying to remember a few, surely some could make an appearance to liven things up?

1, 3, 4, 5 were all sung on Tuesday and have been a fair bit this season home and away, especially 1, 4 & 5.

Personally I'd be quite happy with the Alex Rodriguez and both Tarique Fosu songs for 90 mins. I think our range of chants is pretty good compared to most other clubs in general but how many people posting on here that sit outside of the East Stand actually join in? Would love to hear the crickets and creaking doors if "South stand give us a song" was sung.

We have a solid mix of old and new chants atm, it's down to everyone in the crowd to join in or start them yourself.

Having said that, I havent heard "If I had the wings if a sparrow..." for a while ;)

That's the spirit!

Apart from the Alex Rodriguez song I cant really see how many others couldn't be seen simple. Even new fans could pick up Yellow Submarine fairly easily which is probably the most wordy of all our chants.

Apart from the Alex Rodriguez song I cant really see how many others couldn't be seen simple. Even new fans could pick up Yellow Submarine fairly easily which is probably the most wordy of all our chants.

But we sometimes jump from one chant to another to another when just allowing one or two to get embedded would help.

I remember games where we sung "Jim Smith's Yellow Army" for 20+ minutes. It started small, but grew and grew to the point where thousands were joining in. There is a tendency to over think some of these things, and the simple chants are often the most successful.

Back
Top Bottom