Time to bring back some old songs?

But we sometimes jump from one chant to another to another when just allowing one or two to get embedded would help.

I remember games where we sung "Jim Smith's Yellow Army" for 20+ minutes. It started small, but grew and grew to the point where thousands were joining in. There is a tendency to over think some of these things, and the simple chants are often the most successful.

Ah ok I understand what you mean, I do agree. On reflection of my last post, maybe a bit of baiting of the north and south stand from the east stand wouldnt be such a bad thing before starting "Robinson's Yellow Army", it's probably still the chant that most join in and carry on for the longest period of time.

Again it goes back to galvanising those around to join in, from my spot in the east stand it does look as if more are joining in gradually but still lacking from the north and south.

Would be interested to know how others who sit in those stands feel the noise is from their area of the ground.

Ah ok I understand what you mean, I do agree. On reflection of my last post, maybe a bit of baiting of the north and south stand from the east stand wouldnt be such a bad thing before starting "Robinson's Yellow Army", it's probably still the chant that most join in and carry on for the longest period of time.

Again it goes back to galvanising those around to join in, from my spot in the east stand it does look as if more are joining in gradually but still lacking from the north and south.

Would be interested to know how others who sit in those stands feel the noise is from their area of the ground.

I sit in the south stand as my daughter likes being near the dug out, and there were very few clear songs heard on Tuesday. Sadly the acoustics at the ground really work against us and I'm not sure that we'll ever get anything too complicated going around the stadium. That's why something like "Robinson's Yellow Army" has more chance of working if started in the East stand before spreading across the North and South stands.

Hopefully we'll have plenty more to sing about in order to find what works.

I sit in the south stand as my daughter likes being near the dug out, and there were very few clear songs heard on Tuesday. Sadly the acoustics at the ground really work against us and I'm not sure that we'll ever get anything too complicated going around the stadium. That's why something like "Robinson's Yellow Army" has more chance of working if started in the East stand before spreading across the North and South stands.

Hopefully we'll have plenty more to sing about in order to find what works.

Its a shame when I think we manage to make a lot of noise on the road in a ground where the roof isn't too high and the noise doesn't escape out the corners or over a great big gaping hole where a 4th stand should be.

What frustrates me is that a singing section COULD work in our ground. Handled all wrong last time, at the wrong time of the season with arrogant club staff and with p*ss poor communication. If it was done properly, with actual notice given to ST holders, not turning up to a game and finding the ultras sat in your seat, and a social media push, why not stick a singing section in the left or right hand blocks of the east stand over a close season? Give all groups of fans enough warning, gives a permanent area for people to buy their STs into or away from, creates a focal area from where to make noise.

I think we're probably past that now though and cant see the ultras returning or another organised dedicated group of fans like that returning anytime soon.

Phil Selway was tweeting about the Man City game as he is a life-long Oxford fan.

A Radiohead song could be used but it would almost certainly involve changing the lyrics to something related to the club. Something like High and Dry would work I imagine, although it’s unlikely to take off I imagine.
I think we could make something out of 'you and whose army', but speed it up a bit ?

I think we could make something out of 'you and whose army', but speed it up a bit ?
Way to esoteric, you need something mainstream that everyone knows. I would say the most populist song by a local band would be Alright by Supergrass

This thread again.
Here’s an idea, start the f*****g songs yourself instead of moaning.
Then you’ll see how annoying it is when everyone sits there watching 10 of you try to create an atmosphere.

Who is moaning?
Just started a discussion as that's what forums are for, although that may be a little too much for you it seems..

I also think after Yellow Submarine which is always sound enthusiastically we should continue with the chorus 'we all live in a yellow submrine' for longer, this tends to fizzle out after two repetitions. Imagine if this went on for ten minutes or so, you could even split it right side/left side style

We beat Peterborough United

We beat Millwall too

And West Ham.......

We beat AFC Train set

And Ciiittteeehhhh we`ll beat you.....

Thank you..... I was humming it on the way to work this morning, it works.

That got a outing on Tuesday :)
Build a bonfire is the most embarrassing song ever sung at football IMO, this was sung forty five years ago at my primary school with the words 'prefects' and 'teachers' instead of the names of the clubs, it was cringey even then

A vast majority of songs we created are simple. The complicated ones ended up being the ones that went down best half the time.
I applaud the enthusiasm of creating your own songs, but the fanbase is an ageing fanbase and would probably know some of the old songs and be able to join in, a lot of the old songs are short and can rarely be repeated over and over again, sorry to be old here but singing back in the day was lots of short songs sung in succession rather than an anthem type song.
For everyone to join in there must be songs that people can attach to including the occasional fan, come on you yellows engages with most fans and is sung in all the stands when the place is rocking with the bigger crowds as such.

It's tricky situation, the standard 6000 crowd will struggle to make an atmosphere that can be heard and lift the players, the bigger crowds a lot of these fans won't want to join in or just don't know the songs unless they are really simple.

If the crowds grow consistently, then over time more fans learn the songs and will hopefully join in.

Build a wall put Plug or Chuck on it to lead the singing that always seemed to work. (sorry just reminiscing)

Back
Top Bottom