Time to bring back some old songs?

If we are looking for an Oxfordshire anthem, then it has to be either 'Step Into My World' by Hurricane #1 or 'OX4' by Ride (and the Ride boys are no strangers to the Kassam Stadium)

Step into my world - there's got to be a chant in that classic

I've always thought the tune of the Spurs chant for Eriksen could be easily modified for Cameron Brannigan ("Cameron Bra-na-gan, he's our scouser number 8, Cameron Bra-na-gan, the one who League 1 f*****g hate" or something).

I have also loved Dirty Old Town for years and always thought it would be a great football song, so it's a bit annoying that it's been coopted so effectively by Liverpool for VVD. However, it might work for Tariq Fosu?

I think talk of arbitrarily adopting a club 'anthem', along the lines of Sunshine on Leith or YNWA, is a bit misguided - I feel a song has to come attached with a club organically, you can't force it.

Sandie Shaw's version of Those Were The Days

heres the lyrics....

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
And think of all the great things we would do
Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we chose
Big fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la la la la la la la

Then the busy years went rushing by us
We lost our starry notions on the way
If by chance I'd see you in the tavern
We'd smile at one another and we'd say

We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days
Oh yes, those were the days
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

Just tonight I stood before the tavern
Nothing seemed the way it used to be
In the glass I saw a strange reflection
Was that lonely creature really me?
Through the door there came familiar laughter
I saw your face and heard you call my name
All my friends were older but no wiser
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days
Oh yes those were the days
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

La la la la la la
La la la la la la

La la la la la la
La la la la la la
f**k me what a banger

We used to sing that but I have completely forgotten the words of our version

Couldnt we revisit the kemar roofe song for somebody else that was very catchy

I have also loved Dirty Old Town for years and always thought it would be a great football song, so it's a bit annoying that it's been co-opted so effectively by Liverpool for VVD. However, it might work for Tariqe Fosu?

I think talk of arbitrarily adopting a club 'anthem', along the lines of Sunshine on Leith or YNWA, is a bit misguided - I feel a song has to come attached with a club organically, you can't force it.

This, but with bells on.

IMHO the greatest anthems in football, actually have very little to do with actual football.

They're all really about how magnificent it still is to be alive when it's a freezing February night in Barnsley, you're standing in the belting rain on a crumbling Victorian terrace, 3-0 down with 20 to go....and your spearhead is Steve Anthrobus.

Surely we don't want anything contrived and forced, a transient modern ditty with its lyrics embarassingly bungled just to suit?

Sweet Caroline is at least in the right ballpark, but it's been done a thousand times before and is far from unique. My favourites in present-day football? Sunshine on Leith and Goodnight Irene as previously mentioned, and the best I've ever heard live - West Brom's unusual choice, The Lord's My Shepherd. Dirty Old Town would be marvellous - but surely Salford City have first dibs on that?

Either When You're Smiling or Those Were The Days are absolute box-tickers...never heard of another team associate with them....perfect.

This, but with bells on.

IMHO the greatest anthems in football, actually have very little to do with actual football.

They're all really about how magnificent it still is to be alive when it's a freezing February night in Barnsley, you're standing in the belting rain on a crumbling Victorian terrace, 3-0 down with 20 to go....and your spearhead is Steve Anthrobus.

Surely we don't want anything contrived and forced, a transient modern ditty with its lyrics embarassingly bungled just to suit?

Sweet Caroline is at least in the right ballpark, but it's been done a thousand times before and is far from unique. My favourites in present-day football? Sunshine on Leith and Goodnight Irene as previously mentioned, and the best I've ever heard live - West Brom's unusual choice, The Lord's My Shepherd. Dirty Old Town would be marvellous - but surely Salford City have first dibs on that?

Either When You're Smiling or Those Were The Days are absolute box-tickers...never heard of another team associate with them....perfect.

Personal favourite has to be Palace singing Glad All Over, FC United of Manchester also do a very good version of Dirty Old Town.

Not a fan of slower ones, meant to motivate the team and spread positive energy. Maggie May?

One old song that should be consigned to the dustbin is 'Yellow Submarine'. Too long, too slow, you can lose the will to live half way through.

Blasphemy :oops: quite like the chant, just so anticlimactic. A lot of build up and then just fizzles out, although that also reminds me a lot of Pep Clotet so swings and roundabouts.

Edit: May be in a good mood, Clotet was dreadful and 'fizzled out' is an understatement.

We are the right side left side etc when that rumbled on and on at the manor made a great atmosphere followed by chim chimny ...ahhhhh the good old days

Some of our older readers might remember “Molly Malone”. Substitute “Dublin” for “Oxford”...
“In Oxfords fair city where the girls are so pretty...”
That done the rounds on the LRT back in the day.
and the even older (to the tune of Macnamaras band) 'His name is Ronnie Atkinson , he's the leader of the team, the finest football team the world has ever seen, their name is Oxford United we're the boys who play in gold, and when we win division 3 this is what we're told... lala, lalalala etc etc '

a few forum incarnations ago there was a suggestion there was going to be a book consisting of OUFC manor memories, including songs, on that thread there were many of the old London road end fave songs revisited from the Manor years....
dont think that book ever made it off the pages of YF - guessing its archived , somewhere?

thing is, all the sucessful club songs dont have 'tailored to suit' lyrics, theyre sung as per the original song.... why is probably a factor as to why they're both successful and inclusive?

and the even older (to the tune of Macnamaras band) 'His name is Ronnie Atkinson , he's the leader of the team, the finest football team the world has ever seen, their name is Oxford United we're the boys who play in gold, and when we win division 3 this is what we're told... lala, lalalala etc etc '

Oh his name is John Mousinho...

"thing is, all the sucessful club songs dont have 'tailored to suit' lyrics, they're sung as per the original song.... why is probably a factor as to why they're both successful and inclusive? "

This. And the fact they don't contain swearing or offensive language.

I brought my children and now bring my grandchildren and although I'm sure the older one hears the words in the playground, I don't use bad language in front of them (or anybodies child for that matter) and I definitely don't want to hear them using it at a young age, so we don't, or can't, join in with many of the songs.

I note that Peterborough fans have been asked to tone down their songs for this very reason ........

Just checking having read through quite quickly... most fans are too thick or too old to sing anything other than “yellows, the referee is a w****r or count 1-10 while the goalkeeper” had the ball?.

It’ll all sort itself out when we have our new mural on the back wall! Let’s focus on something more serious like the sizes of the leisure wear in the club shop or the covered market opening hours.

There seemed to be a new song at Portsmouth (or at least one that I had never heard before) that mentioned 7 in a row.
What was that?

There seemed to be a new song at Portsmouth (or at least one that I had never heard before) that mentioned 7 in a row.
What was that?

Swindon get battered, at Grenoble Road, Swindon get battered, 7 in a row , 7 in a row (I think that’s it!)

Back
Top Bottom