5th Test Thu 27-31 July 2023 - Kia Oval

Who will win this test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess not, ...even if the organisers are pitching up a few short ball bouncers at us
Probably not me either. Have just watched the first two matches (well, was pottering about but had them on) and after the excitement of the test series, they were very flat. Pretty paltry crowd in for the women's game, grew a bit for the men's version. The game is just so unsubtle - whack, whack whack.

Yes cant stand ipl 100 etc its just not really cricket rather a predictable american style slog,

I assume you’re still advocating the inclusion of Rehan, in spite of a terrible bowling summer so far?

Nah, I changed my tune on that between the 3rd and 4th Tests when I saw just how bad he's been this summer!

Still doesn't mean I think that Moeen should have played - I think we would have been better off giving his place to Foakes, and bowling Root for more overs instead (he comprehensively outbowled Moeen over the course of the five Tests)

But in India, where you have to believe that they're going to prepare dust bowls for us that offer nothing to the seamers but turn sideways from day one, you simply have to play two front-line spinners (and likely have three in the squad).

Maybe you take Rehan in the hope that you can inspire him to get back to the bowler we saw in Pakistan? But we do need to identify another spin bowler to take - and play if Rehan can't rediscover anything.

The Ashes was absolutely superb, best Test cricket I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately this year was only able to actually attend the first day of the Irish test match. ( This is known as a first world problem.)

Moeen totally justified selection, his batting was so entertaining, plus he kept his nerve with the ball on Monday afternoon.

Think it’s unfair to do a downer on the Hundred, totally different form of cricket and the tournament needs to build a bit before we conclude it’s a damp squib. This London Spirit game looks alright. ( The commentary is terrible though.)

Cricket played fhe Bazball way has an advantage over football in that it’s a team game but it’s also given the time to achieve great stately drama.

The only time watching us I can recall it being test match length in nature was that rain plagued game v Ipswich and the Pompey game when it kicked off in the tunnel at halftime.

That Mackie last minute winner game seemed to
last 7 hours as well.

Nah, I changed my tune on that between the 3rd and 4th Tests when I saw just how bad he's been this summer!

Still doesn't mean I think that Moeen should have played - I think we would have been better off giving his place to Foakes, and bowling Root for more overs instead (he comprehensively outbowled Moeen over the course of the five Tests)

But in India, where you have to believe that they're going to prepare dust bowls for us that offer nothing to the seamers but turn sideways from day one, you simply have to play two front-line spinners (and likely have three in the squad).

Maybe you take Rehan in the hope that you can inspire him to get back to the bowler we saw in Pakistan? But we do need to identify another spin bowler to take - and play if Rehan can't rediscover anything.
I was with you on the Rehan v Moeen debate, but was wrong!
I think that Moeen proved the right pick ( and without the issues with his spinning finger would have done even better).
Rehan is very young, but let's hope he fulfills his potential. He would make a huge difference to England's attack if he does- as proved with the Moeen call, the cupboard is pretty bare overall.

Went out last night and met a mate who informed me that a friend of his had a ticket for Monday at the test and couldn't go, so gave him the ticket for nothing! How's your luck?!

Just bought 2 tickets for next years T20 vs Pakistan at Edgbaston in the Eric Hollies stand.

And bought 2 tickets for Day 1 of the Test match vs West Indies in the Hollies stand.

Had to be done. £290 lighter but value for money.

Just bought 2 tickets for next years T20 vs Pakistan at Edgbaston in the Eric Hollies stand.

And bought 2 tickets for Day 1 of the Test match vs West Indies in the Hollies stand.

Had to be done. £290 lighter but value for money.
I’ve always got a soft spot for the Windies since growing up in the seventies, with memories of the great teams they had back then. For me a series against WI is almost up there with the ashes despite the very varied levels of success they’ve had in the meantime.

There seems to be some exciting young players coming through again now so should be an enjoyable series.

I’ve always got a soft spot for the Windies since growing up in the seventies, with memories of the great teams they had back then. For me a series against WI is almost up there with the ashes despite the very varied levels of success they’ve had in the meantime.

There seems to be some exciting young players coming through again now so should be an enjoyable series.

Though not exciting enough to qualify them for the World Cup though.

All the respect in the world to Afghanistan and the Netherlands for qualifying ahead of them, but it's going to seem wrong somehow to have a cricket World Cup without any representation from the Caribbean......certainly for middle-aged guys like me, anyhow, who grew up watching the Windies teams of the 80s and 90s. Can still remember watching Cortney Walsh and Malcolm Marshall bowl to the students in the Parks (must have been '91) as a schoolkid, whilst wandering round the boundary getting autographs from the likes of Viv Richards and Richie Richardson.........

All the respect in the world to Afghanistan and the Netherlands for qualifying ahead of them, but it's going to seem wrong somehow to have a cricket World Cup without any representation from the Caribbean......certainly for middle-aged guys like me, anyhow, who grew up watching the Windies teams of the 80s and 90s. Can still remember watching Cortney Walsh and Malcolm Marshall bowl to the students in the Parks (must have been '91) as a schoolkid, whilst wandering round the boundary getting autographs from the likes of Viv Richards and Richie Richardson.........
Thinking back to the hazy days of old when I used to sit down as a kid in front of the telly in time for Richie Benaud’s ‘Good Morning Everyone’ in front of a hazy, morning sun cricket ground, most of those memories involve Viv Richard’s swagger, the towering menace of Joel Garner and that hat of Richie Richardson 😁

I just remember the Aussies as being sneering and cynical but the West Indies always played with a smile even if they were trying - and almost succeeding- in removing the heads from our gallant batsman (the likes of Gooch, Boycott and Gower.. I could go on but realise I’ve become a rambling middle aged man)

I’m sat wondering at times why it’s gone so wrong for the West Indies in recent years. Did players decide to just abandon test cricket, and chase the money in the shortest format. There seems to be a lack of quality compared to what they’ve always had coming through.

I just about remember the Greenidge and Haynes opening up. Then you had your Richards and Lloyds coming in for a bat, and of course the bowling attack rarely passed up a chance to skittle you out for next to nothing, and leave players bruised and dazed in the aftermath.

Garner,Marshall,Holding,Roberts wow what an attack.

Anyway I’m looking forward to going next summer, as it should be a corker of a summers cricket. Starting in May for the T20’s vs Pakistan. Followed by the Windies.

Garner,Marshall,Holding,Roberts wow what
They had lots of very good and very fast bowlers. Ian Bishop, Sylvester Clarke then Ambrose and Walsh ( and Benjamin ). Clarke was rapid and would have walked into most sides but only played around 11 Tests.

I remember watching the England v WI games. We were normally hammered. They had great fast bowlers then a teriffic batting line up. The best England could offer were batsmen like David Steele and Brian Close- brave to the end, but battered and bruised ( before helmets)

Back
Top Bottom