Ex-Staff Karl Robinson

Not sure that’s fair.
Why? The last I checked we were still a league 1 club. When the previous manager was sacked he was on a similarly bad run but actually had a higher league position when he left and that despite having a fraction of the budget Robinson had. There have been successful recruitment and sales at profit under Robinson, but this has just been a continuation of what has been going on for years before him to keep the club afloat and afford the rent. A few nice cup victories and attractive football has also been done before in the 1980s, 1990s and more recently under Appleton. We have stayed still for 5 years with nothing extra to show for it and nothing beyond which the fans really expect as a supporter of Oxford United.

Probably the right decision for him to go now but I don't understand some of the vitriol directed towards him. In his time, at Oxford, we have seen some of the best, if not the best, football played at the Kasstad. He's brought through some great talents which, inevitably, we have had to sell on. Good luck to him in the future and I hope that it turns out well for us but sacking the manager didn't prevent the fall into the conference.

As sad as it is to see someone lose their job this had to done I just hope it’s not to late. I have been dancing around my kitchen with my son and daughter in celebration.

If he would drop down to league 1 Chris Wilder for me a no nonsense guy who will give this lot a kick up the a**e and keep us up my second choice would be Leam Richardson.
CW will not want to come back

Not wishing to revel in any person's demise, but surely the right decision. There really was no point continuing with this charade in the hope that compensation could be avoided or through any sense of 'loyalty'.

Unlikely to be a 'new manager bounce' for some time yet, and given the lack of confidence around the club at the moment we are still in a perilous situation.
I think Robinson was a massive part of that lack of confidence. I think we’ll see the bounce emerging sooner than you think.

An overriding feeling of utter relief for myself.

What an utterly shambolic last few weeks it has been, it's been an absolute car crash and the board have got to learn from this.

(1) We've had a lame duck manager in place through the transfer window.
(2) We've subsequently bought in players in January who have to date not made a positive difference.
(3) We've lost an ideal interim manager from our ranks as the board continued to stick with the wrong man.
(4) They've made the announcement without having an interim person lined up, that gives the impression that their loss of faith in Robinson is a relatively recent thing.

I know us football fans can be hard to please at times, but we've had every right to be even more vocal than we have been during this utter car crash few weeks.

As for Robinson, it will be really interesting to see what happens to his career. For me he'll be a mid league 1 / league 2 manager at best, nothing wrong with that but not what we need if we truly have any ambition.

It would be churlish not to acknowledge we have had some great periods of free flowing football, but what we need is someone that can get their teams over the line. Robinson has consistently proved throughout his career he cannot do that, 1 promotion to the championship and 1 immediate relegation tells you all you need to know.

I think we need someone who has a recent promotion on their CV, or an up and coming bright spark who is truly on the money with the latest management methods / understands data based decision making. Robinson always gave me the impression he talked about things like this because it was the 'done thing' but didn't truly buy into them - hence his reliance on rescue calls to ex players ahead of targeted scouted players.

Wilder and Appleton went on to bigger things, it will be really interesting to see where he ends up. If I was him I'd be tempted to have a break and do some media stuff, he's got his friends in national media and I'm sure they'll be pumping out the usual narrative about him.

I never particularly warmed to KR. I thought all the 'passionate' and '24/7' stuff was very false, and I found the endless post match twaddle extremely irritating. But the football, for a couple of years, was very good to watch. Alarm bells started ringing for me after the Blackpool defeat. He said (correctly) that we needed greater physical presence in the team, and then did nothing about it. I've never thought he seems particularly bright, and he obviously didn't know what to do with a bigger budget. No apparent process or logical thinking, leading to a quite ridiculous summer transfer window. He'll knock around L2/NL from now on. Let's hope the Board have been sounding out candidates for the last few weeks. Very disappointing that we let Mousinho leave. Let's hope that doesn't come back to haunt us.

After yesterdays result twinned with Cameron Brannagans comments afterwards change had to be made. Now that has been done I want a new permanent manager in ASAP and certainly no later than Wednesday as time and league table at present are not in our favour. I do not want anyone in the building already doing the job for more than a couple of days. We keep hearing about wanting to be a top thirty club NOW is the time to show this. I personally wouldn’t mind Michael Appleton although he has a poor record when not at our club. Neil Critchley is another although he went in to QPR and inherited another managers players and picked up 5 points out of 36. Anyway regardless things need to be done quickly and I would like to register my thanks to our now ex manager as even though things have ended badly we also had some very good times.

Back
Top Bottom