National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

it appears 'our' first post Brexit trade deal with China is.... Coronavirus :oops: :sneaky:;)

Unsurprisingly announced with a whimper and buried as quickly as possible: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51453189

Wonder who they will try to blame for this :unsure:
“Government will need to move fast if it intends to provide the necessary infrastructure to carry out full border controls on imported goods from January 2021, " said Andrew Opie, the British Retail Consortium's director of food and sustainability.

"Without the necessary infrastructure up and running from day one, consumers in the UK will see significant disruption, particularly in the availability of fresh fruit and vegetables."

Industries from car manufacturers to food distributors which rely on the frictionless free flow of goods with the continent say they face extra costs, delays and red tape from what are known as non-tariff barriers.

Products of animal origin, will require export certificates from a registered vet.

If no trade deal is reached with the EU, taxes such as tariffs will also need to be charged and collected.

Mr Gove also told the conference there would be light touch administration of trade across the Irish Sea.

But last week it emerged that Stena Line, the biggest operator of ferries in the Irish Sea, is preparing for trade checks between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Great news! No Avocado`s !! ? ?

Think of the Carbon saving from not shipping in food from half way around the planet.............. can`t have it both ways.

And, from the same article.................. "Preparation can help alleviate some of that hit, but not all. "

Great news! No Avocado`s !! ? ?

Think of the Carbon saving from not shipping in food from half way around the planet.............. can`t have it both ways.

And, from the same article.................. "Preparation can help alleviate some of that hit, but not all. "
What on Earth are you talking about? ?

Yes, best case scenario is that we spend time and money trying to make sure that when we’re punched in the face, it only gives us two black eyes rather than a broken nose. This is good news. So much for spending all of our time and money on schools and hospitals.

I made peace with all this a while ago - I am fully for just getting this done now and seeing what mess we’re left with at the end. You can argue with the decision that’s been made but not that the decision has been made. I think people have voted repeatedly to drink bleach but I won’t argue for a second that while that’s incredibly stupid, that is indeed what people want to do. But I really hope that if things look half like what this is suggesting it could, we’re going to find people willing to hold their hands up and go “Yep, that wasn’t what I thought and what I was told, this wasn’t the land of milk and honey what so ever.” You can’t have it both ways, after all. You get your way, you take responsibility for the outcome.

I think people seem to forget tariffs work both ways reading the BBC you would think only the EU can apply them
i worked in a medium sized company and exported and imported from about 40 countries including China and never had a problem with paperwork.
Most came in in containers at ports off on lorry very often in minutes.

Last edited:
What on Earth are you talking about? ?

If we (the consumer) consume a greater % of UK produced, seasonal foods there are lower freight miles so lower carbon emissions.......... and no avocado`s. ?

We import , roughly, 50% of what we "buy to eat".............balance that out with 6.6 million tonnes of food waste (stuff we "bought to eat") .......... if there was a shortage of food we (the consumer) would value it more, and there would be less waste.

On one side of the equation people may see it as "bad" but on the other "good".

If we (the consumer) consume a greater % of UK produced, seasonal foods there are lower freight miles so lower carbon emissions.......... and no avocado`s. ?

We import , roughly, 50% of what we "buy to eat".............balance that out with 6.6 million tonnes of food waste (stuff we "bought to eat") .......... if there was a shortage of food we (the consumer) would value it more, and there would be less waste.

On one side of the equation people may see it as "bad" but on the other "good".
You are really going down the route of saying there are positives to food shortages?

JLR import many components from China so what's the problem , if we ever had a problem it was normanly with the French and o yes they are in the EU.

You are really going down the route of saying there are positives to food shortages?

Yes, absolutely because over a long period of time we have lost contact with the "value" of food and its production.
Lots of people purely look at "price" rather than the wider view.
Do they care if their £2.99 sandwich "on the go" is made of UK, high welfare, low mileage chicken or imported (cheap) frozen chicken from Thailand?

We have several generations that have wanted for nothing and not cared where it comes from...... is turning that "consumerist cult" around a bad thing?

I won`t lose any sleep if there aren`t any avocado`s to be bought!

Yes, absolutely because over a long period of time we have lost contact with the "value" of food and its production.
Lots of people purely look at "price" rather than the wider view.
Do they care if their £2.99 sandwich "on the go" is made of UK, high welfare, low mileage chicken or imported (cheap) frozen chicken from Thailand?

We have several generations that have wanted for nothing and not cared where it comes from...... is turning that "consumerist cult" around a bad thing?

I won`t lose any sleep if there aren`t any avocado`s to be bought!
Food shortages and making better food choices aren't the same thing. And if food prices go up due to shortages, who do you think is going to take the biggest hit from that?

• React
Reactions: Ian
Back
Top Bottom