National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

Unless the EU compromise I can’t see a solution. One of the sticking points is the French expecting a share of fishing in our waters. We need to look after the interests of our fishermen.
They seem to think we owe them £40billion. We need to determine a figure and resolve it once for all.

We need to look after the interests of our fishermen.
At the expense of everyone else? It's a small industry, why are we risking a deal which would impact everyone over a group which provides 0.12% of GDP involving under 0.1% of the UK's workforce?

Although as I live in Oxfordshire and eat very little seafood (well, none actually) I guess I don't see the fishing industry as one of the vital ones.

At the expense of everyone else? It's a small industry, why are we risking a deal which would impact everyone over a group which provides 0.12% of GDP involving under 0.1% of the UK's workforce?

Although as I live in Oxfordshire and eat very little seafood (well, none actually) I guess I don't see the fishing industry as one of the vital ones.

Problem is both sides want their cake and to eat it, UK want sovereignty and full access and the EU wants UK tied to all its rules etc with out being a member, fishing is purely a symbolic battle ground, as we all expect there will be some sort of agreement where nobody wins but all sides claim a great victory!

In 2016, 8,000 were directly employed in fishing in the UK. A further 16,000 were employed in processing. The vast majority of those processing jobs would continue, irrespective of which country actually catches the fish. Grimsby has very little fishing but a lot of processing, and much of the processed fish is caught by Icelandic trawlers.

What percentage of the 8,000 jobs would be lost if there was a free-for-all in British waters is conjecture.

The fishing industry is smoke and mirrors, but has been pumped up to be some bloody massive do or die point.

Reality is we NEED the EU tariff free market on our doorstep to sell all the fish we catch to because we as a nation do not eat enough of it (ewe're far too fond of our non-EU caught/farmed prawns and tinned Tuna. We will not get that if we do not allow EU (and non-EU) fleets to fish our waters.

I posted this link a couple of days back...please read it as it puts thing in perspective when it comes to fishing!

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2020...been-promised-a-lot-expect-cries-of-betrayal/

The operative phrase & sticking point being "British Waters", sovereignty and all that.

Now my personal view is that commercial fishing needs far more regulation designed by fishermen not politicians.
If in any doubt watch some of Hugh FW`s programmes about the dead catch thrown back to avoid fines..........it`s still dead.
And again the "super trawlers" ripping through fish stocks and marine environments need regulation - by fishermen.

Then, maybe, we could let the EU into our waters on our terms and abiding by our "rules".

The operative phrase & sticking point being "British Waters", sovereignty and all that.

Now my personal view is that commercial fishing needs far more regulation designed by fishermen not politicians.
If in any doubt watch some of Hugh FW`s programmes about the dead catch thrown back to avoid fines..........it`s still dead.
And again the "super trawlers" ripping through fish stocks and marine environments need regulation - by fishermen.

Then, maybe, we could let the EU into our waters on our terms and abiding by our "rules".

If you are including fishermen to design regulation then conservationists need equal involvement.

If you are including fishermen to design regulation then conservationists need equal involvement.

Wouldn`t disagree with that at all.
We need to consume less and look after natural resources.

And thin the population out a bit....... but that`s another topic!

Britain would be better off sticking to its guns on the issue of the level playing field, and conceding on the issue of fishing rights, if that's what it takes to get a deal done.

Torpedoing the free trade negotiations for a bit of patriotic flag-waving about territorial waters and to help a very minor industry would be idiocy.

But if Britain can't get some freedom to diverge from EU rules and regs, to allow it to gain some competitive advantages vs. the EU, then - without being part of the free market, but being beholden to all its rules - the UK economy is toast.

Jingoism then. Nothing more. Still, play to your crowd I guess...

Did I not say the operative phrase & sticking point ?

Territorial waters themselves........well blame the UN for them rather than jingoism.

They are "ours" as in we have responsibility for them and letting in mega trawlers to hoover up every living thing is not responsible, but the waters are ours so we should make the "rules" and if others want to share then they abide by our rules.

Its simple really.

Did I not say the operative phrase & sticking point ?

Territorial waters themselves........well blame the UN for them rather than jingoism.

They are "ours" as in we have responsibility for them and letting in mega trawlers to hoover up every living thing is not responsible, but the waters are ours so we should make the "rules" and if others want to share then they abide by our rules.

Its simple really.
Mega trawlers hoovering up every living thing... Yeah. I'm sure that's what the EU are asking for, bloody foreigners ? ? ?

If we cared that much about "our" waters, why were our fleets so keen to sell off their rights to foreign interests in the first place?

The concept of territorial waters is nothing new, enshrined in international law and INCLUDES (in most parts of the world) an agreement that there will be reciprocate agreements over fishing rights as an example.

Given that we have no interest in consuming all the fish we catch and as a result our biggest tariff free market is right on our doorstep....what do you possibly think our domestic fleet have to gain from this.

It is simply cutting off our nose to spite our face.

No quibbles about reforming fishing and putting it on a more sustainable footing, but by going it alone we will significantly weaken our efforts to do so as fish don't tend to carry passports.

Mega trawlers hoovering up every living thing... Yeah. I'm sure that's what the EU are asking for, bloody foreigners ? ? ?

Just putting this out there..........

If we cared that much about "our" waters, why were our fleets so keen to sell off their rights to foreign interests in the first place?

The concept of territorial waters is nothing new, enshrined in international law and INCLUDES (in most parts of the world) an agreement that there will be reciprocate agreements over fishing rights as an example.

Given that we have no interest in consuming all the fish we catch and as a result our biggest tariff free market is right on our doorstep....what do you possibly think our domestic fleet have to gain from this.

It is simply cutting off our nose to spite our face.

No quibbles about reforming fishing and putting it o. A more sustainable footing, bit by going it alone we will significantly weaken our efforts to do so as fish don't tend to carry passports.

That is just following & justifying the globalisation/consumerist route.

Bit of hunger on the streets and folk would care more about what food we produce and what natural resources we have.

A few bare shelves and a bit of food security panic wouldn`t go amiss.....and fewer people to feed. :)

Britain would be better off sticking to its guns on the issue of the level playing field, and conceding on the issue of fishing rights, if that's what it takes to get a deal done.

Torpedoing the free trade negotiations for a bit of patriotic flag-waving about territorial waters and to help a very minor industry would be idiocy.

But if Britain can't get some freedom to diverge from EU rules and regs, to allow it to gain some competitive advantages vs. the EU, then - without being part of the free market, but being beholden to all its rules - the UK economy is toast.
'But if Britain can't get some freedom to diverge from EU rules and regs, to allow it to gain some competitive advantages vs. the EU '

There it is in one sentence. Why would the EU agree to something that gives the UK a competitive advantage over it?

It's going to be an interesting 2 months.

So it fishes under a British flag, from Hull, and pays UK taxes on it. Who arranged that?

And it doesn't address what the EU are asking with regards fishing. You are both scaremongering and getting into a jingoistic froth. Well played.

Back
Top Bottom