National News The Brexit Thread πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί

The Tories and Trump have done an extraordinary job in convincing a lot of ordinary people that their enemies, and those responsible for their current troubles, are other ordinary people rather than elitist plutocrats such as themselves and the shadowy corporations and hedge funds that back them.
Reminds me of this cartoon...

rich-man-to-worker-careful-mate-that-foreigner-wants-your-cookie.jpg

The difference is there is now nowhere to hide for politicians. No blaming it on the EU. And if deceit, lying and corruption make themsleves known, the electorate can remove the people at the very top. We've added a layer of transparency to proceedings.

My fervent wish and the possible saving grace of (what I believe to be the fallacy) Brexit is the above.

I hope with all my heart that you are right.

Obviously we can still blame the EU when negotiations are ongoing....

The Tories and Trump have done an extraordinary job in convincing a lot of ordinary people that their enemies, and those responsible for their current troubles, are other ordinary people rather than elitist plutocrats such as themselves and the shadowy corporations and hedge funds that back them.
Yes, good point. Although would ask what you classify as "shadowy corporations"? Also, you have to look at who invests into the Hedge Funds rather than themselves. Most diversify and will allocate a portion of assets to real and fast money accounts.

Business and Governments are quite intertwined. The last consideration being looked at is decentralisation of workers to permanently work from home and not needing to located in cities. For the finance industry upto 85% of workers have said they would like to permanently work for home. If they do that, why do bankers for example need to be in the City of London? Can you imagine if the majority of workers in London decentralised to other parts of the UK? Hence, why do you think BJ was trying to promote people to return to work?

Labour was in power in the late 90s and throughout the 00s. Why were tax loopholes and creative accounting not outlawed then? Why does Labour = tax equality and Tory = theiving bastards?? That's such a reductionist, low resolution of the world. Give most voters the choice and they would vote for tighter and fairer tax regulations.

You also seem to overlook that UK tax regulation is not on the top of voter priority lists.
Tax loopholes aren’t created on purpose. They are basically bugs born out of a complex tax system.
Sometimes it’s worth leaving these loopholes in if that particular part of the tax policy is more profitable to the Treasury than the money it’s losing though the loophole.

They are created on purpose. Tax laws are made by whoever govts employ to make them and they then go on to be accountants/consultants at big firms because they know exactly what the loopholes are.

No deal Brexit is what I always wanted. I hope that happens! I also hope Boris stays as prime minister for as long as possible. I think we are heading to a good place, and all the project fear that has been shoved down our throats since Leave won will be proved wrong.

No deal Brexit is what I always wanted. I hope that happens! I also hope Boris stays as prime minister for as long as possible. I think we are heading to a good place, and all the project fear that has been shoved down our throats since Leave won will be proved wrong.
Give some details - how will no deal be good for the majority in real terms (rather than abstractions), and what has Johnson does that is good ?

Give some details - how will no deal be good for the majority in real terms (rather than abstractions), and what has Johnson does that is good ?

No deal will be good, because then we are not trapped. We can deal with whoever we want, and thrive away from the EU. We put so much money into there pockets and got little from them. We no longer have to be told what to do by unelected people. We can create our own laws, control our immigration and fishing waters. Yet the EU still want some of that, and sell fish to us for more money. There is a couple of reasons. I could go on, but I have a busy Sunday today.

Boris has done a good job! He’s been dealt a bad hand. It’s not his fault this Coronavirus has happened. Maybe he could of done things differently but he’s only been going on what his advisers have said to him in relation to this so called pandemic. In regards to his Brexit approach I think he’s done everything right. If he wants to change things then good for him. He’s making them come here to talk, and not going over there at the click of there fingers like Maybot did. We want what we want. If the deal isn’t good for us, then we wave goodbye, and leave with no deal! Then we can trade with whoever we want. Like Japan, China, USA. Would that be so bad? I think the waters are nice and clear ahead, and we are better off away from the merky waters we are currently in.

No deal will be good, because then we are not trapped
This is a statement I hear a lot, but with no practical examples. Is there anything to it, or just a populist catchphrase? (not really directed specifically at you Leysboy, general question)

Can you give a few examples of things we can stop doing and what the benefits will be.

I can only assume they mean like the non-elected Dom Cummings giving out contracts to his mates. And the Govt trying to extend the emergency powers under Coronavirus for another 6 months, that even the Chair of the Tory 1922 Committee Graham Brady objects to/challenging and wants to ensure proper scrutiny from Parliament.

Is this a wind-up ?

No deal will be good, because then we are not trapped. We can deal with whoever we want, and thrive away from the EU. We put so much money into there pockets and got little from them. We no longer have to be told what to do by unelected people. We can create our own laws, control our immigration and fishing waters. Yet the EU still want some of that, and sell fish to us for more money. There is a couple of reasons. I could go on, but I have a busy Sunday today.

Boris has done a good job! He’s been dealt a bad hand. It’s not his fault this Coronavirus has happened. Maybe he could of done things differently but he’s only been going on what his advisers have said to him in relation to this so called pandemic. In regards to his Brexit approach I think he’s done everything right. If he wants to change things then good for him. He’s making them come here to talk, and not going over there at the click of there fingers like Maybot did. We want what we want. If the deal isn’t good for us, then we wave goodbye, and leave with no deal! Then we can trade with whoever we want. Like Japan, China, USA. Would that be so bad? I think the waters are nice and clear ahead, and we are better off away from the merky waters we are currently in.

Do you never consider that you might have fallen for a tory* lie?

Namely that some of these EU rules, such as those concerning immigration and laws, are patently bullshit. Or why 12,000 jobs in fishing are more important than x,000,000 in science and research?

*obviously only tory lies since 2010, they were labour lies before that

This is a statement I hear a lot, but with no practical examples. Is there anything to it, or just a populist catchphrase? (not really directed specifically at you Leysboy, general question)
Indeed. Many people have been desperate not to categorise 'Leavers' as in any way xenophobic, yet some are still claiming pesky foreigners are 'trapping' us. Errant nonsense.

Repeat after me; Boris is great, no deal Brexit is great, post Brexit the UK will be a great place, project fear is the product of unpatriotic snowflakes. It really is so boring, and based on nothing of any substance.

Indeed. Many people have been desperate not to categorise 'Leavers' as in any way xenophobic, yet some are still claiming pesky foreigners are 'trapping' us. Errant nonsense.

Repeat after me; Boris is great, no deal Brexit is great, post Brexit the UK will be a great place, project fear is the product of unpatriotic snowflakes. It really is so boring, and based on nothing of any substance.
the vote was in 2016 if you rememebr most of the tory party whre pro eu same for labour so i dont get the tory brexit love story .

Perhaps brexit was a long term Tory policy, 10 years of austerity ( yes it did happen, it was a policy.) blame immigration, job done.

Back
Top Bottom