National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

Specifically what trouble? How has it effected your life for the worse?
You don't think Brexit has caused trouble? Five years of dissension and bad feeling apart, and the loss of rights and freedoms for anyone with any interest in pursuing life beyond our little patch, there's all the civil service and admin work and cost.

As someone observed above, politics isn't only about what affects you personally. That's not politics, that's just thinking of yourself alone.

You don't think Brexit has caused trouble? Five years of dissension and bad feeling apart, and the loss of rights and freedoms for anyone with any interest in pursuing life beyond our little patch, there's all the civil service and admin work and cost.

As someone observed above, politics isn't only about what affects you personally. That's not politics, that's just thinking of yourself alone.
No I don’t. I think the handling of it and the media’s reaction did. Pure fifth column stuff.

We had a government hell bent on keeping us in, a media stoking hatred, and in the middle as always working class people footing the psychological misery deliberately inflicted by an irresponsible, uncaring political and media elite no matter how they voted.

It’s always been a case of us verses them, no matter the stance on Brexit/politics. I just wish people wouldn’t lose sight of it.

No I don’t. I think the handling of it and the media’s reaction did. Pure fifth column stuff.

We had a government hell bent on keeping us in, a media stoking hatred, and in the middle as always working class people footing the psychological misery deliberately inflicted by an irresponsible, uncaring political and media elite no matter how they voted.

It’s always been a case of us verses them, no matter the stance on Brexit/politics. I just wish people wouldn’t lose sight of it.
It wasn’t the gun that shot me, it was the handling of the gun.

I see the government ministers are in an urgent meeting now to discuss what can be done.
Deployment of the army to drive the tankers and food vehicles would be a help I’m sure

You think it's a 'working class' thing (whatever that means)? OK! All I know is a) Farage, Rees-Mogg, and Johnson are nothing to do with the working class, and have no interest in or care for them, and b) I want to be on the side they're not on.

I see the government ministers are in an urgent meeting now to discuss what can be done.
Deployment of the army to drive the tankers and food vehicles would be a help I’m sure

They could actually do something useful like reassign HGV drivers as skilled workers for immigration purposes. This would help longer term fill some of the gap while HGV training/jobs can be promoted and carried out for the existing UK population that the Govt keeps saying publically. This, of course, would require pragmatism that goes against this Govt's Brexit dogma.

They could actually do something useful like reassign HGV drivers as skilled workers for immigration purposes. This would help longer term fill some of the gap while HGV training/jobs can be promoted and carried out for the existing UK population that the Govt keeps saying publically. This, of course, would require pragmatism that goes against this Govt's Brexit dogma.
Actually, I don't think Johnson has much dogma at all - he's purely interested in pandering to enough of his core people to get elected again.

I don’t think we trust ourselves though. We could have had better control of our borders in the EU but we were too lazy to do that properly, so how can we trust ourselves to actually let skilled people in in a controlled way properly now? Maybe hike NI another 10% to pay for some immigration officers?

I can see the government making the HGV test less stringent. That would of course improve recruitment of drivers but have a serious impact on road safety.
the DVSA have already decided to stop trailer tests so that will surely be next.
The HGV driver crisis, bad though it is here isn’t much better in the EU.
The way this country is heading is not good. A potential housing crash and stock market crash, preceded by rapidly rising inflation as a result of rising energy and food prices.
Once interest rates start to rise, mortgage commitments and unemployment will rise.
Seemingly not much to look forward to

I can see the government making the HGV test less stringent. That would of course improve recruitment of drivers but have a serious impact on road safety.
the DVSA have already decided to stop trailer tests so that will surely be next.
The HGV driver crisis, bad though it is here isn’t much better in the EU.
The way this country is heading is not good. A potential housing crash and stock market crash, preceded by rapidly rising inflation as a result of rising energy and food prices.
Once interest rates start to rise, mortgage commitments and unemployment will rise.
Seemingly not much to look forward to
Thanks PD, that's set the weekend up nicely.

You think it's a 'working class' thing (whatever that means)? OK! All I know is a) Farage, Rees-Mogg, and Johnson are nothing to do with the working class, and have no interest in or care for them, and b) I want to be on the side they're not on.
You’ve missed my point.

The handling of Brexit and the media’s reaction to it hurt the working classes. Obviously, the actual decision to leave the EU was of great benefit to us.

You’ve missed my point.

The handling of Brexit and the media’s reaction to it hurt the working classes. Obviously, the actual decision to leave the EU was of great benefit to us.
You're obviously a true believer. I'm not an obsessive EU fan but I'm still waiting for someone to give me a meaningful list of objective benefits we'll get from leaving. Anyway no point going into that again now.

I for one am delighted all those bluddy forinors have stopped taking our jobs and am looking forward to getting fit and healthy from all the walking and grass im going to have to eat.

How long will it take to walk to Sheffield for next Saturdays game?

Umm, I'm not sure anyone is asking the tax payer to bail 'you' out, although perhaps some of the Tory friends and donors might like to redirect the profits from PPE and testing contracts (all won without any level of scrutiny or tender). What companies and the Road Haulage Association seem to want is i) lorry driving be classified as a skilled profession & ii) we temporarily allow foreign workers in to bolster numbers, albeit it it will have to be offer better terms and conditions.

Oh, and isn't offering free training a tax cost as well?

It would seem sensible to address both short and long term issues here - a temporary shortage solution with firm plans in place to train more drivers, now classified as skilled, and ensure there are better conditions, better pay and reverse the stupid tax change that doesn't allow some drivers to work as contractors.

Last thing , why are you shouting?

Umm, I'm not sure anyone is asking the tax payer to bail 'you' out, although perhaps some of the Tory friends and donors might like to redirect the profits from PPE and testing contracts (all won without any level of scrutiny or tender). What companies and the Road Haulage Association seem to want is i) lorry driving be classified as a skilled profession & ii) we temporarily allow foreign workers in to bolster numbers, albeit it it will have to be offer better terms and conditions.

Oh, and isn't offering free training a tax cost as well?

It would seem sensible to address both short and long term issues here - a temporary shortage solution with firm plans in place to train more drivers, now classified as skilled, and ensure there are better conditions, better pay and reverse the stupid tax change that doesn't allow some drivers to work as contractors.

Last thing , why are you shouting?
I ain’t shouting just pointing out the obvious

I for one am delighted all those bluddy forinors have stopped taking our jobs and am looking forward to getting fit and healthy from all the walking and grass im going to have to eat.

How long will it take to walk to Sheffield for next Saturdays game?
if you left yesterday you might miss kick off

Back
Top Bottom