National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

So gone from "I think free trade would be relatively straightforward between the UK and America" to "It's just not a priority for the US administration", whilst realising "The Americans do negotiate very hard."
Bit of a misrepresentation in truth. Whilst we were in the EU, we traded with America on WTO terms.

Outside of the EU, we are trading with America on WTO terms. Same as the EU. Nothing has changed.

Biden was always going to play hardball as we look to get the jump on the EU and try and achieve that they haven’t managed since 1992 and counting: a free trade deal. The fact is, he’s not going to be there in 4 years, Boris perhaps not either. We have established 90 independent trade deals anyway in less than 1 year; Taiwan, Vietnam and South Korea are the countries we should really be looking to target in my opinion, we need to break this lap dog attitude to whichever maniac is in charge in ‘Merica.

As for the US trade deal, nothing ventured and all that, even though it is note worthy that we’ve got them to drop the 30 year ban on British Lamb, which will be good for exports. Not that it’s received much coverage as it doesn’t fit the narrative.

There is a third factor, but once again one that falls at the door of the government. The appalling lack of facilities (washing and toilet facilities, safe parking, fairly priced health food option). It truly is a national disgrace.
The Road Haulage association have been quite clear why they think there is a driver shortage and it's any number of factors, including an ageing workforce, poor wages, poor facilities, cancellations of tests and training, changes to the tax rules for drivers under this government and yes, Brexit.

There isn’t a fuel shortage, there’s a driver shortage. There is no rationing, BP is prioritising deliveries.
If you can't get fuel to put it your car when you need it a fuel shortage for you!
I cannot believe that so many sneer and rejoice in perceived failure outside of the EU. What is going on with the HGV driver shortage is absolutely fantastic for the working man in this country. Finally, big corporations will have to pay what is reasonable and respect worker rights, rather than just employ cheap, often substandard despite a good work ethic, imported Labour!
You'll be demanding an increase in the minimum wage next. You guys. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
The day I start feeling sympathy for BP, of all companies for goodness sake (with their track record of greed, slave Labour and destroying the environment) is the day I’ll have to admit I’m not the man of my current peer group and rather a middle class snob.
But nobody is. Squirrel!!

If you can't get fuel to put it your car when you need it a fuel shortage for you!

You'll be demanding an increase in the minimum wage next. You guys. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

But nobody is. Squirrel!!
Well, we can get fuel so well done on answering your own point.

That is, we can currently. I’m in Bristol today and have driven past 3 petrol stations where they’re queuing onto the roads, panic buying. Supply won’t keep up with panic demand no matter what.

Typical behaviour we’ve come to expect in recent years. Sorry state.

Bit of a misrepresentation in truth. Whilst we were in the EU, we traded with America on WTO terms.

Outside of the EU, we are trading with America on WTO terms. Same as the EU. Nothing has changed.

Biden was always going to play hardball as we look to get the jump on the EU and try and achieve that they haven’t managed since 1992 and counting: a free trade deal. The fact is, he’s not going to be there in 4 years, Boris perhaps not either. We have established 90 independent trade deals anyway in less than 1 year; Taiwan, Vietnam and South Korea are the countries we should really be looking to target in my opinion, we need to break this lap dog attitude to whichever maniac is in charge in ‘Merica.

As for the US trade deal, nothing ventured and all that, even though it is note worthy that we’ve got them to drop the 30 year ban on British Lamb, which will be good for exports. Not that it’s received much coverage as it doesn’t fit the narrative.
Missing the point. Bojo and the Brexit gang said a trade deal with the US would be easy and beneficial once outside the EU and would open up major markets......they failed (probably because it wasn't a realistic prospect to begin with).

Biden is right to play hardball and the UK will get nothing out of the US until they resolve the mess they've created in Ireland and the threat it poses to the GFA.

And whoopee for British Lamb markets! - I am sure opening up the US will have a massive impact on the profitability of that sector........(as opposed to closer to home markets that we could be exploiting) Greta and Essex will be angry!

Some good points there but various ministers, pro-leavers and Boris himself assured the electorate that this would be relatively straightforward. Johnson lied, to add to the many other fabrications - my favourite one this week being his claim (in a Channel 4 interview) that 'we'd 'sorted the Boeing/Airbus dispute. Yes, the EU and the US did agree a resolution to that dispute.

Ah yes, the lifting of the lamb ban - can you point me to the exact terms of that agreement? What's the timescale? It's a broad agreement at the current time and no doubt once clarified will be reported generally. The Head of The National Sheep Association said 'we shouldn't expect to see any surge in volumes going to the US', he also added that Brexit had made it more difficult to sell to the EU, the largest market for British lamb.

As you imply, there is a balance to be reported.

Oh and the 90 plus trade deals established already.

Mostly either inconsequential or simply replacing what we already had/would've got as part of the EU anyway.

Anyway, well done us for making an industry out of trade deals! Once they actually have a positive impact on the economy which outweighs what we already had and lost, then maybe they will be noteworthy....

Some good points there but various ministers, pro-leavers and Boris himself assured the electorate that this would be relatively straightforward. Johnson lied, to add to the many other fabrications - my favourite one this week being his claim (in a Channel 4 interview) that 'we'd 'sorted the Boeing/Airbus dispute. Yes, the EU and the US did agree a resolution to that dispute.

Ah yes, the lifting of the lamb ban - can you point me to the exact terms of that agreement? What's the timescale? It's a broad agreement at the current time and no doubt once clarified will be reported generally. The Head of The National Sheep Association said 'we shouldn't expect to see any surge in volumes going to the US', he also added that Brexit had made it more difficult to sell to the EU, the largest market for British lamb.

As you imply, there is a balance to be reported.
I’m not a fan of Boris, nor have I ever or would I ever vote for him.

He did lie, it’s not straightforward, and he should be held accountable for those deliberate falsehoods.

All that being said, isn’t this true of every politician these days? Long gone are the Benns, Powells, Churchills, of the political world who had a bit of integrity. The thing I found the most bizarre about the whole referendum was the “you were lied to” line, said often with a straight face by those believing people like Blair and Campbell’s view on the matter.

Oh and the 90 plus trade deals established already.

Mostly either inconsequential or simply replacing what we already had/would've got as part of the EU anyway.

Anyway, well done us for making an industry out of trade deals! Once they actually have a positive impact on the economy which outweighs what we already had and lost, then maybe they will be noteworthy....
What have we lost, and how has that effected you?

Often those who voted leave are demanded to produce the unicorns of the impact of their decision. It’s only fair that we put the boot on the other foot and see the evidence of how measurable worse off you are because we’re no longer in the EU.

Well, we can get fuel so well done on answering your own point.

That is, we can currently. I’m in Bristol today and have driven past 3 petrol stations where they’re queuing onto the roads, panic buying. Supply won’t keep up with panic demand no matter what.

Typical behaviour we’ve come to expect in recent years. Sorry state.

A revealing question. Some people hold political views based on what's best for the general population and the country as a whole, not just what's best for me.

Not misrepresenting, just quoting people. They are the ones who said a free trade deal with the US would be straightforward.

"We have established 90 independent trade deals anyway in less than 1 year" - I thought it was actually 69 (including such states as Kosovo and the Palestinian Authority), and isn't it only three that isn't just a rollover deal?

We got them to drop a couple of post-BSE bans - which is good, but we also haven't said what the consequences are (given the US are such tough negotiators). All of this has been reported in every major news outlet I have seen, so not sure how much something that could benefit the economy by as much as £35million (around 10% of a lamb export market) could be covered,

Not misrepresenting, just quoting people. They are the ones who said a free trade deal with the US would be straightforward.

"We have established 90 independent trade deals anyway in less than 1 year" - I thought it was actually 69 (including such states as Kosovo and the Palestinian Authority), and isn't it only three that isn't just a rollover deal?

We got them to drop a couple of post-BSE bans - which is good, but we also haven't said what the consequences are (given the US are such tough negotiators). All of this has been reported in every major news outlet I have seen, so not sure how much something that could benefit the economy by as much as £35million (around 10% of a lamb export market) could be covered,
Within those 69 deals, we actually did the one with our biggest trading partner straight away - a detrimental deal with our cold friends the EU.

Often those who voted leave are demanded to produce the unicorns of the impact of their decision. It’s only fair that we put the boot on the other foot and see the evidence of how measurable worse off you are because we’re no longer in the EU.
Given how much money, work, and trouble it's caused, I think it's reasonable to ask for evidence of the strong benefits we're getting from leaving. The odd little thing isn't worth mentioning, and the 'feelgood factor' for older or more conservative people is again insignificant in the equation.

Re your earlier point, you're probably right that too many people now go to university, but it's odd to pick up on media studies and sports science as worthless or pointless degrees, as opposed to the career of lorry driving. Gyms, sport, and personal training are massive areas now, as is everything to do with online, and media awareness is more important than ever given the prevalence of fake news and conspiracy B*****s.

• React
Reactions: QR
Within those 69 deals, we actually did the one with our biggest trading partner straight away - a detrimental deal with our cold friends the EU.
cold? old? or both :unsure:

Fair to say things have somewhat cooled with our dear friends across the channel.

And it is rather cringeworthy watching Boris and the gang continue to poke the hornets nest. Some are even getting some perverse juvenile pleasure and practically cheering him on. . . . .for "sticking it to Frenchie" I guess 🤷‍♂️

A combination of both.

The common denominator is those who have enabled the situation. The Tory Government. They delivered this utter shitfest of a Brexit, they allowed bosses to exploit workers...they have brought us to this by looking after the rich and screwing the less well off in to the bargain.

You're reaping what you've sown.

And the rest of us who thought it was a terrible idea all along now also get to enjoy the fruits of that labour too - how lucky we all are!
I do remember years ago in the late 90’s I did some temping for 4 months whilst waiting for a contract to start and then a 2 week break before I started a new job I went back to the agency and got given 2 weeks work where I temped before but at £1.75 less when I asked it was for. It costs yet when I went there I was the only British temp out of around 20. So companies were exploiting the overseas workers.

Given how much money, work, and trouble it's caused, I think it's reasonable to ask for evidence of the strong benefits we're getting from leaving. The odd little thing isn't worth mentioning, and the 'feelgood factor' for older or more conservative people is again insignificant in the equation.

Re your earlier point, you're probably right that too many people now go to university, but it's odd to pick up on media studies and sports science as worthless or pointless degrees, as opposed to the career of lorry driving. Gyms, sport, and personal training are massive areas now, as is everything to do with online, and media awareness is more important than ever given the prevalence of fake news and conspiracy B*****s.
Specifically what trouble? How has it effected your life for the worse?

Sorry, didn’t mean you were misrepresenting, I meant the article.

Back
Top Bottom