Sunderland Away

Never quite understood Sunderland's nickname 'The Smoggies' - any ideas?

Toon Toon!

Never quite understood Sunderland's nickname 'The Smoggies' - any ideas?

Toon Toon!
No the smoggies are Middlesbrough due to the large Ici and other factories there. Sunderland are the macems due to their shipbuilding past.

The Sunderland Empire Theatre opened in 1907 on High Street West and is infamous for playing host to the final performance of British comic actor Sid James who died of a heart attack whilst on stage on April 26,1976.
Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens, on Borough Road, was the first municipally funded museum in the country outside London. It houses a comprehensive collection of the locally produced Sunderland Lustreware pottery.

Its a veritable hive of culture & education in comparison to Oxford & the Shire.

I note their forum has a pet scummer.......... very,very bitter at that. :D

Just got mine and brothers tickets. Think we might surprise them 3-2 win.

Whoever wins the midfield will win the game. I know we arent dab yet at defending, but we we are always likely to score. Hope Mags plays - can see him getting red carded. Frustrate them and nick it 1-0

Have a number of applications from Sunderland fans to join. Everybody is welcome but I refused 1 as his wished-for username was disrepectful to OUFC.

Name required SAFC 6 OUFC 0 not chance!

They seem to have taken against us as they think we are too posh and wealthy to support a football team. Both city's industry are based on car manufacturing- Nissan, BMW, so probably not so different. They do not appear to mind their club funded by what they would see as posh and wealthy Oxfordshire people

They seem to have taken against us as they think we are too posh and wealthy to support a football team. Both city's industry are based on car manufacturing- Nissan, BMW, so probably not so different. They do not appear to mind their club funded by what they would see as posh and wealthy Oxfordshire people

Too posh? Utter madness! Mind you, I'm still struggling to book a hotel. Can't find a Grovesnor or Dorchester at the moment. Tried the Malmaison in Poshcastle but that swine @Pete Burrett has only gone and booked the bloody penthouse suite!

Last edited:
I think its just because our girls tend to wear knickers more than theirs
Slumdogs

Have a number of applications from Sunderland fans to join. Everybody is welcome but I refused 1 as his wished-for username was disrepectful to OUFC.

Name required SAFC 6 OUFC 0 not chance!

Let him/her/it join, if we lose that many they can crow about it, if not we can insult it's intelligence

I'm posh and wealthy (and understand all the big words PC uses) if the smoggies don't like it, then let them revel in their uneducated shanty town penury.

could drop said Horse (and box) off nearby at the Bladon Races perhaps?....doubt the Mackems have anything to do with Bladon Races as their local rivals have a tendency to have a song (if not a dance too) about them! :sneaky:

Ummm blaydon races....we never had the races in bladon

Back
Top Bottom