Transfer News Summer Transfer Window 23/24 Build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well what we're seeing now is a very real outcome of what happens when you don't sell your best players. Instead you have to pay them Championship wages to get them to stay, you miss out on a decent chunk of cash to help feed it back into the playing staff
To be fair, I don't think this is the reason we looked more likely to score in a nunnery, we just pissed all the money we had available up the wall instead. Thankfully this transfer window we don't have one of the major contributing factors to those decisions running the show.

Hmm have to be honest I’m not sure I agree but who am I to value a footballer. This is partly why I don’t normally bother getting involved with it because I think football is shot of any perspective - players go for silly prices on silly wages by the day while others who look useful go for peanuts. Who knows what good value looks like anymore but a reliable well rounded midfielder with an almost guaranteed 5-10 goals a season is not an easy thing to find so I’d be asking for more than the going rate.

Most importantly, the club has to be above individuals now and if he’s in doubt, move on. If he goes, I’ll understand. If he’s in, and the overall budget doesn’t require his sale, I wouldn’t be crowbarring the exit door open. But for gods sake play him further forward next season, please. If we’re not going to do that then sell him. Don’t need to pay someone £10k a week to shuffle the ball around the defensive third.

I think it’s £12k a week…

All the people commenting on brannagans wages ect, saying lacks ambition keeping him, where was all this when he signed the contract? Im pretty sure we was all delighted and celebrating.... You cant now claim it was a bad decision because we had a poor season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

All the people commenting on brannagans wages ect, saying lacks ambition keeping him, where was all this when he signed the contract? Im pretty sure we was all delighted and celebrating.... You cant now claim it was a bad decision because we had a poor season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Things are much clearer in hindsight…

Exeter have offered new deals to academy graduates Josh Key and Archie Collins but say that the two players have received offers from league 1 and Championship clubs.

Anyone know anything about them and would they be players we would be interested in? If we are going back to our previous trusted model I guess they would possibly fit the profile?

Exeter have offered new deals to academy graduates Josh Key and Archie Collins but say that the two players have received offers from league 1 and Championship clubs.

Anyone know anything about them and would they be players we would be interested in? If we are going back to our previous trusted model I guess they would possibly fit the profile?
I know there are people among us who may know more detail but certainly everything you read about them is extremely positive and they’d be great additions for us in two problem areas.

I’m curious to see what pulling power we have now. Can we attract these players after last season’s wobble? Are we still viewed as a top end L1 club in the eyes of players? Hope so.

Regarding Brannagan, the other thing to consider is the club completely failed him. You can imagine the bullshit that he was promised last summer to get him to sign. Carrying the team on his back all season was not what he he had in mind I am sure.
Sell him if you wish but then try to replace him remembering that we are a bottom six league 1 club.

Regarding Brannagan, the other thing to consider is the club completely failed him. You can imagine the bullshit that he was promised last summer to get him to sign. Carrying the team on his back all season was not what he he had in mind I am sure.
Sell him if you wish but then try to replace him remembering that we are a bottom six league 1 club.

We don’t have the budget of a bottom six L1 club, which matters a hell of a lot more than where you finished the year before. If we could get £1m for CB, we should back ourselves to bring in 2/3 with that and the wages saved, and that’s if anything is left after Uncle Firoz is paid

Last edited:
We should try and build the team around Brannagan who is one of the last quality players we have. If he goes we will have a mountain to climb

We should try and build the team around Brannagan who is one of the last quality players we have. If he goes we will have a mountain to climb

What does build a team around Brannagan mean? What have we been doing for the last 3 seasons?

What does build a team around Brannagan mean? What have we been doing for the last 3 seasons?

Failing to........... Brannagan?

I spect the Clown told him last year he'd be leading a promotion campaign. Which may be why he spent last season with a face like a smacked arse.

Oxford have always been criticised for selling their best players, but the season that they show some intent by paying their best player big money they get criticised for that as well. People say that CB didn’t play that well this season are a bit deluded I think because the whole f*****g team were rubbish and without his goals we would have been relegated. Instead of talk of letting him go they should build a team around him and show some real ambition.

Feels different to me with Brannagan's new contract though. Previously we let players go because of 'the model' which was dependent on bringing new players in to replace them. With Brannagan's new contract, it was as much about the disastrous planning by Robinson as it was about the ambition of keeping Cam. We simply didn't have anyone ready to replace him. Yes, we all enjoyed it at the time, partly because it was fun to see Blackpool fans implode but also because a lot of us thought it may have been alongside some other ambitious recruitment, but that bit never happened. It wasn't like we added a load of quality round Brannagan, more that we just chucked everything at him because we didn't know what else to do.

With Brannagan's new contract, it was as much about the disastrous planning by Robinson as it was about the ambition of keeping Cam. We simply didn't have anyone ready to replace him. Yes, we all enjoyed it at the time, partly because it was fun to see Blackpool fans implode but also because a lot of us thought it may have been alongside some other ambitious recruitment, but that bit never happened. It wasn't like we added a load of quality round Brannagan, more that we just chucked everything at him because we didn't know what else to do.
This is exactly what happened, but I don’t think the player himself even realised until after he’d signed it, hence spending basically all of last season with a face like a smacked a**e. The only club that ever properly came in for him when he was ripping it up over the last couple of years was Blackpool, and they offered him less than we’re paying him. He looked to me like a man who realised this is good as it’s ever going to get financially, but that in return he will be playing in a poor team who are going to struggle to have a proper tilt at promotion. Partially because he himself is taking up such a massive chunk of the budget.

For context, his weekly wage is the same as Marcus Browne, Marcus McGuane and Ciaron Brown’s salaries combined. He’s on three times what we signed Matty Taylor for, back when he was scoring 20 goals a season year after year. It’s an incredible amount of money for someone who has now ended up popping the ball around with the centre backs.

Roofe left when it was right to leave; Brannagan probably didn’t. It’s not a criticism of anybody, just an observation that it probably hasn’t worked out for anybody in the end.

I would be disappointed if we sold Cam, but it wouldn’t be disastrous, and like @tatabanya says, we should back ourselves to bring in 2/3 players with his sale. We still have a very competitive budget for this league, and it’s all about identifying your targets, and bringing them in.

Where you finished the previous season, will not matter a jot. I for one am looking forward to what the recruitment team and LM are bringing in this summer. One thing I’m certain of, is that it will not be a kamikaze summer like last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom