Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the truth of it is only Murphy really knows. Is it really an injury? Is it a lack of passion for the game? Is it attitude? Is it ego? Does he dislike Manning? Home life? Mental health? Who knows. It’s nothing we haven’t seen a million times before at all levels and various clubs right up as high as Cristiano Ronaldo at Man Utd.

Whatever it is, Manning doesn’t even have enough sympathy to throw him on for a token few minutes. He’s made the bench once in the league despite being (publicly) declared unfit for just one. No matter what the match scenario he’s overlooked - the closing stages of Charlton were perfect for him but does anybody really think he would be where Goodrham and Mills were for the goal? Full sprint on the counter with 5 mins to go? If Manning believed he would be, he’d be playing.

No doubting his technical ability but look at McGuane who is technically as good or better and has played for far bigger clubs and still embracing it at this level. Has to start from within and it’s obviously not there with Murphy.
I don’t disagree with the sentiments here but it’s stretching things to say McGuane ‘played’ for far bigger clubs. He was at far bigger clubs but never actually played for Arsenal, Barcelona or Forest. On the other hand, Murphy has played over 200 Championship and 40 or so Premier League games,

……. and some on this forum saying “It doesn’t matter; we always start slowly with KR, but we’ll make it all up with a good patch near Christmas….”
The transfer window is open until the end of August and there's people on here panicking!!! If you get your business done too early you don't get all the best players available at the end!!! Some of the players I've heard us linked with on loan are incredibly exciting!!!

I think the truth of it is only Murphy really knows. Is it really an injury? Is it a lack of passion for the game? Is it attitude? Is it ego? Does he dislike Manning? Home life? Mental health? Who knows. It’s nothing we haven’t seen a million times before at all levels and various clubs right up as high as Cristiano Ronaldo at Man Utd.

Whatever it is, Manning doesn’t even have enough sympathy to throw him on for a token few minutes. He’s made the bench once in the league despite being (publicly) declared unfit for just one. No matter what the match scenario he’s overlooked - the closing stages of Charlton were perfect for him but does anybody really think he would be where Goodrham and Mills were for the goal? Full sprint on the counter with 5 mins to go? If Manning believed he would be, he’d be playing.

No doubting his technical ability but look at McGuane who is technically as good or better and has played for far bigger clubs and still embracing it at this level. Has to start from within and it’s obviously not there with Murphy.
I never saw a lack of effort from Murphy when he played. He presses, he tracks back and puts a shift in. It was a worrying lack of quality that was the main issue, especially in that game against Bolton where he could barely complete a pass.

Murphy is pretty popular at the club and is by all accounts one of the good guys. There are issues that make it unlikely he’s ever going to be a success, but I don’t think anyone close to the situation blames Murphy or believes he is willingly stringing the club along.

I never saw a lack of effort from Murphy when he played. He presses, he tracks back and puts a shift in. It was a worrying lack of quality that was the main issue, especially in that game against Bolton where he could barely complete a pass.

Murphy is pretty popular at the club and is by all accounts one of the good guys. There are issues that make it unlikely he’s ever going to be a success, but I don’t think anyone close to the situation blames Murphy or believes he is willingly stringing the club along.

Is it an injury problem?

However we’ve all seen him be brilliant, so it’s not a lack of quality- more lack of focus or consistency

It’s all perception, isn’t it. I’m trying not to be unfair on him as I don’t know him or anybody close, it’s purely what I observe.

Personally, what I observed was a lack of effort at times. Or rather a lack of focus with sloppy touches, being easily nudged off the ball by players that ought not be bullying him, careless passes and so on. Things that we know are second nature to him when he’s even slightly bothered.

Vs Cheltenham we saw it. And vs Charlton when he had his eyes on a TV game with arsenal. Direct, pace, strong powerful runs, end product. So when it’s not there, it can only be a lack of something mentally, whatever the reason is.

I’d like to think the best of him as a bloke. Just as with other players I don’t rate, it’s not personal, it’s just what I make of them when I pay my money to watch them play football.

That's the frustrating thing, I could absolutely imagine him doing that.
Somebody important in the dugout can’t, that’s what’s odd. It was all set up for him. Charlton overcommitting, right back on a yellow card, frustrated tackles flying in. a real chance to show he can be part of the team structure while abusing a full back at will with acres of space available. A winger of his ability should be licking his lips… Not fancied.

I don’t disagree with the sentiments here but it’s stretching things to say McGuane ‘played’ for far bigger clubs. He was at far bigger clubs but never actually played for Arsenal, Barcelona or Forest. On the other hand, Murphy has played over 200 Championship and 40 or so Premier League games,
Fair comment. Underlying message was that McGuane doesn’t feel league one is beneath him, or at least it isn’t obvious when he plays. You watch Murphy sometimes and it just looks like he can’t accept where he is.

Josh Coburn
Would be a great signing if we could get him on loan. I think Michael carrick has said, he could still go out on loan b4 the window shuts. He would give us something different to what we already have.

He would’ve spent the summer chasing Waghorn while the likes of Ally McCoist and Efan Ekoku played up front all pre-season. Then he would’ve blown his top because he spent three months thinking he could get Cole Palmer on loan, only for Chelsea to nip in and sign him on a permanent for £40million like a complete bunch of bastards.

Meanwhile, we would be on two points rather than 12 and people would be lining up to say that it doesn’t matter. You can’t expect to go to Derby and Barnsley and come back with anything, you idiots.

"We're not only looking at McCoist and Ekoku"

"I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss having Ekoku as a low wage option until the new signing and Baldock are up to speed"

"Cole Palmer is one we're looking at. Others have mentioned Martyn Waghorn"

"Evan Ferguson is highly rated and Brighton will also want him to go to a club where he'll be looked after and where they play decent football Absolutely no reason why it couldn't happen"

"We have 2 days to get 4/5 players in who are pretty much oven ready. Do that, get a bit of fight and belief back (on and off the pitch) and we could still have a big September that gets us back on track"

I’m going to be outrageous here and suggest that Cristiano Ronaldo and his five Champions Leagues didn’t share many common footballing problems with the bloke currently not getting a look-in at Oxford.

Don't let McGuane hear you say that his 20 minutes in the Supercopa de Catalunya final don't count.

Somebody important in the dugout can’t, that’s what’s odd. It was all set up for him. Charlton overcommitting, right back on a yellow card, frustrated tackles flying in. a real chance to show he can be part of the team structure while abusing a full back at will with acres of space available. A winger of his ability should be licking his lips… Not fancied.
Or Mills is just ahead of him in the pecking order and he didn’t want to take Goodrham off?

Murphy makes me excited and uneasy in the same measure.

He can certainly play and if he, for whatever reason, could force his way in, he would be great for us.

However, we nearly got relegated last season and he is said to be on a pretty decent L1 salary. It feels to me as if we are on the cusp of something, like we were under Mapp in 2015. If he can't get in the side then for 6k a week or whstever, he needs to leave...or have a dramatic impact in training that makes manning sit up.

2 more excellent signings and I feel we are genuinely capable of auto promotion this season, and for what it's worth, I hope Murphy is physically and mentally sound in the coming weeks... Whatever club he's at.

If he can't get in the side then for 6k a week or whstever, he needs to leave...
It certainly is appalling value for money.

I cannot wait until all of KRs stupidities have worked their way out of the club. I don't normally have any beef with ex-managers no matter how poorly they did or how messily it ended - but I will make an exception for KR who seemed to be intent on hobbling us for years to come once he knew his days were numbered.

"We're not only looking at McCoist and Ekoku"

"I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss having Ekoku as a low wage option until the new signing and Baldock are up to speed"

"Cole Palmer is one we're looking at. Others have mentioned Martyn Waghorn"

"Evan Ferguson is highly rated and Brighton will also want him to go to a club where he'll be looked after and where they play decent football Absolutely no reason why it couldn't happen"

"We have 2 days to get 4/5 players in who are pretty much oven ready. Do that, get a bit of fight and belief back (on and off the pitch) and we could still have a big September that gets us back on track"
...anyway. That's all from me, I'm off to watch the women's team, kick off is 7.30 so I won't be available till, ooh, about three in the morning."

The transfer window is open until the end of August and there's people on here panicking!!! If you get your business done too early you don't get all the best players available at the end!!! Some of the players I've heard us linked with on loan are incredibly exciting!!!
Brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom