Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don’t feel we need another striker, I’d rather we spent the money securing McGuane down long term. With him in his last year I can definitely see someone bidding for him before the deadline, wouldn’t have to be crazy money due to this.

He was unplayable yesterday and can really see how Mannings coaching is benefitting him.
We definitely do need another Striker. If Harris gets injured for a significant period of time I’m not sure any of the others are up to filling in. Admittedly I don’t know a lot about the Leeds lad.

We are top of the league, and if we’re serious about promotion now is the time to strengthen and you definitely need at least two strikers capable of getting 12/13+ plus goals

We definitely do need another Striker. If Harris gets injured for a significant period of time I’m not sure any of the others are up to filling in. Admittedly I don’t know a lot about the Leeds lad.

We are top of the league, and if we’re serious about promotion now is the time to strengthen and you definitely need at least two strikers capable of getting 12/13+ plus goals
i would assume they think Perkins can be that player. He has no track record at league level but his goals in youth football show he has an eye for goal. I just can’t see how Leeds would loan a good prospect to us, if he’s going to be 3rd or 4th choice. Unless he can play in different positions, but from what I’ve read he’s a number 9?

i would assume they think Perkins can be that player. He has no track record at league level but his goals in youth football show he has an eye for goal. I just can’t see how Leeds would loan a good prospect to us, if he’s going to be 3rd or 4th choice. Unless he can play in different positions, but from what I’ve read he’s a number 9?
Hopefully he is that player. I just think it’s a big risk to go from now until January without another more proven striking option

Barnsley, Rotherham and Birmingham all linked. Hopefully he goes to the Championship.

And to think many on here were happy with KR playing him as the holding midfielder in a 433, an absolutely crazy misuse of a player
Plenty of people were delighted about the prospect of Marcus Browne playing as a number 10 as well. Almost negates his biggest strength of isolating a player and going past them, but at least it brought his poor decision making into play more often. Twas madness.

I would be concerned if we lost McGuane to injury for any period of time. I honestly think the improvement in results coincided with him coming in to the team. As good as McEachran is he doesn’t have the ability to drive past people in midfield in transition. We were a bit static at Cambridge. We need another box to box midfielder that can come in and play alongside either Cameron or Josh, if MM is absent, in my opinion

I would be concerned if we lost McGuane to injury for any period of time. I honestly think the improvement in results coincided with him coming in to the team. As good as McEachran is he doesn’t have the ability to drive past people in midfield in transition. We were a bit static at Cambridge. We need another box to box midfielder that can come in and play alongside either Cameron or Josh, if MM is absent, in my opinion
I’d be interested to see McEachran and McGuane together.

Thought Brannagan was iffy yesterday bar a decent run towards the box in the first half and we didn’t control things in midfield like we have been. His set pieces were decent, though. Difficult to drop Cam but something to explore, maybe.

An example of this was Plymouth, who kept building each window last season. Pleased with what I have seen of Harris, but is he a natural goalscorer, It is far too early to tell, I feel. Goodrham popped up again to make the difference, but we need three or four to do this regularly, and you only have to look at Alfie May to see the benefit of a natural goalscorer. I thought Stevens grew into the game yesterday and hopefully will strengthen and improve during the season, as Mills will too. All in all, promising, but I could not help but feel we are two or three signings away from being able to maintain our position. A winger would definitely be good I feel, as I can not see Murphy contributing much going forward, despite his obvious talent (please prove me wrong on this JM as you could breeze this league).

This this this! The amount of people saying we should have been out of sight by half time yesterday, then saying we don't need a striker!

That front line currently has a lot of unknowns in it. Could come good, could not.

Proven League 1 striker takes that risk away and, to be honest, makes us contenders.

This this this! The amount of people saying we should have been out of sight by half time yesterday, then saying we don't need a striker!

That front line currently has a lot of unknowns in it. Could come good, could not.

Proven League 1 striker takes that risk away and, to be honest, makes us contenders.
It was the final ball rather than the finishing that cost us for the most part though.

There are answers to this within the current squad. Both Bodin and Rodrigues look like they could score every game and the latter probably just needs the first one out the way to open the floodgates. We know Bodin will get his share.

With Perkins now in, a wiry false 9 type with a good goal scoring pedigree, I think we have enough variety and goals in our 3 strikers. We also don’t have a goal scoring problem, currently. Harris is one in every two so far, don’t forget. Keep that up he will score 20+. Another striker would be overkill and completely block O’Donkor. Unless he goes on loan, that seems daft as he has something to offer that’ll be difficult to replace.

I’d rather a LW now with an eye for goal. Someone that can cut inside with pace and end product and create space for Leigh. Something we don’t currently have.

If it is one more signing, then I think it needs to be a wide forward who can ideally play anywhere across the front three.

I suspect Mills is going to be a classic winger, blowing hot and cold - occasional spells where he's unplayable, other spells where he's invisible. We can't be certain of getting anything out of Murphy. Bodin is 31 and has had plenty of injury problems in the past. And Tyler is awesome, but has never played a full season where he's the guy at this level - it would not be surprising if he had a dip at some point as well.

An experienced battle-hardened pro to complement that lot would be helpful. Longman does seem to fit the bill.

Surely we’ve been serious about promotion for the last five years, haven’t we ? And haven’t we strengthened with ten new players ? It’s not like we’ve suddenly become all serious about promotion just because we‘ve gone top of a five game table ! Our needs now are no different to what they were the day the window opened - we’ve needed an experienced striker then and we still do now, whatever end of the table we are.

I’d be interested to see McEachran and McGuane together.

Thought Brannagan was iffy yesterday bar a decent run towards the box in the first half and we didn’t control things in midfield like we have been. His set pieces were decent, though. Difficult to drop Cam but something to explore, maybe.
Very generous calling Brannagan iffy yesterday, I think. He dallied on a clearance and got lucky that it bounced back to him, only to dally again and give it straight to May who should have scored. Got done really easily for the goal and lucky to avoid a red late on, on another day he does nothing different and comes away at fault for 2 goals and having been sent off. I also don't agree with set pieces, managed to work the keeper from a free kick once but it would have been a massive error had it gone in and while I guess he's been told to float corners in its not a hard ball to play, I'd rather see Bodin over a set piece than Cam. I saw @Peterdev voted for him as man of the match yesterday, different opinions etc but I can only assume this was an error or just trolling.

He does give us more drive/goal threat than the alternatives though. McGuane and McEachran, as good as they are, have next to no goal threat. I'd be interested if playing with McEachran encourages McGuane to take more attacking responsibility though, I'm pretty sure he only had his first shot of the season yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom