Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only concern from what I’ve seen so far is that if teams come to play football we will match them or better them.
My worry is that when we play the route 1 sides and the big powerful sides we may have problems.That is where we may need an alternative sort of striker who can hold onto the ball and a no nonsense midfielder both who can get stuck in
We will see
If it becomes a fire fight and we abandon our style from pre season them it becomes a leveller. We do look pretty technical.
On our home pitch I hope to see us investing the first half in possession and testing their press as well as counter pressing them really hard. When the gaps appear I think we can exploit that.

If they are able to press us harder than we can manage and also beat our counter press whilst bullying us in our defensive 3rd, they are no doubt better than us and would be, I feel, a top top side.

Interesting that Marriott is being spoken of as ‘proven at this level’, when he scored only 12 goals in 40 League One games last season, and Peterborough were happy to let him go for £250k in the winter.

Don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble, but it’s interesting to see exactly who this forum gets excited about.

Interesting that Marriott is being spoken of as ‘proven at this level’, when he scored only 12 goals in 40 League One games last season, and Peterborough were happy to let him go for £250k in the winter.

Don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble, but it’s interesting to see exactly who this forum gets excited about.
He also wouldn’t appear to offer anywhere near as much off the ball as Harris, or Burey potentially.

Rather disingenuous, that.

He only started 25 of those 40 games (and 7 of those 15 sub appearances were for fewer than 10 minutes).

The reality is:
Posh - 4 goals from 9 starts + 12 sub apps.
Fleetwood - 8 goals from 16 starts + 3 sub apps.

Almost a goal every 2 games when he starts (or indeed is given at least 45 minutes). That's at two very different clubs with different styles in opposing halves of the league.

- 9 goals in 16 starts in The Championship the season prior.
- 27 goals in 44 starts in his previous full campaign at this level.

What further proof is required?

Interesting to see who this forum can't seem to get excited about.

Rather disingenuous, that.

He only started 25 of those 40 games (and 7 of those 15 sub appearances were for fewer than 10 minutes).

The reality is:
Posh - 4 goals from 9 starts + 12 sub apps.
Fleetwood - 8 goals from 16 starts + 3 sub apps.

Almost a goal every 2 games when he starts (or indeed is given at least 45 minutes). That's at two very different clubs with different styles in opposing halves of the league.

- 9 goals in 16 starts in The Championship the season prior.
- 27 goals in 44 starts in his previous full campaign at this level.

What further proof is required?

Interesting to see who this forum can't seem to get excited about.
So we’re paying £500k for a player that wasn’t starting regularly for a promotion-chasing side last season?

If someone has his minutes per goal from last season it’d be interesting to see, because that’d probably be a more accurate metric than appearances alone or start/sub appearances.

So we’re paying £500k for a player that wasn’t starting regularly for a promotion-chasing side last season?

If someone has his minutes per goal from last season it’d be interesting to see, because that’d probably be a more accurate metric than appearances alone or start/sub appearances.
To be fair Peterborough had the League's top scorer in JCH so would have difficult to be a starter!!!

It’s interesting that every forward the club bring in or show interest in, their goal numbers are brought up over and over again. Do you think our level of scouting and planning for what Liam Manning wants from his attackers stop at how many goals they have/haven’t scored at their previous clubs? We are clearly fronting up some cash for good reason so give the guy a chance and let yourselves be excited!

I believe Posh started the season with two up top and then reverted to just the one.

So despite starting the season with 4 goals in 8 games (7 starts) he was kept out of the team by the best all-round striker in the division (JCH).

Personally I don't think that's enough to write him off.

I don't have the figures you seek but would wager that his goals per minute last season (and throughout his time in L1) would be right up there.

Anyway, you started by saying the problem was his lack of goals last season (3 more than anyone at OUFC) and now it's the lack of starts (that show he can't be trusted), I'm sure you can come up with something else.

Personally, I'm quite happy with where we are but I still can't understand why some are going out of their way to talk down a potentially very good signing.

Believe he got 8 goals and 2 assists in 19 games for Fleetwood last season. Not a bad return at all

Anyway, you started by saying the problem was his lack of goals last season (3 more than anyone at OUFC) and now it's the lack of starts (that show he can't be trusted), I'm sure you can come up with something else.
I never stated anything was a ‘problem’ just an interesting point that a few people seemed to be speaking like he was this fabled 20+ goal a season striker.

With any transfer there’s a risk, and when we’re spending £500k on a player at least a little bit of scrutiny would be required, no?

No need for that sly dig at the end either, unless you’re taking my questions about Marriott personally?

I also think half a million quid on a 28yo striker who’s had serious injury issues is too much. I also think the reported bid was a while back and haven’t heard anything that suggests we are still interested.

Interestingly his 8 goals for Fleetwood last season were 3 v Accy , 2 v Exeter,2 v Ipswich last game of the season and 1 v Port Vale ...so only scored in four matches so might well be a 'streaky ' goalscorer.

Question I would have is - if Jack Marriott was only worth £250k in January, why is he worth £500k now? Especially when his club is presumably in some financial distress as a result of their bankroll now being behind bars. Yes, he had a good half-season for them, but not so good that it should have doubled his value.

Plus.....Alfie May. Reportedly he went for £250k to Charlton. Yes, he's a year or two older but he's not had the same injury issues as Marriott - and he's been more prolific the last two years than Marriott has in any season other than 2017-18.

Marriott would be a nice addition to our squad, and would definitely provide some proper competition for Harris up front.

But if we pay half a mill in the current market for a player with his profile, we're being ripped off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom