Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me old fashioned but I'd just love the striking partnership of Yemi Odubade and Rob Duffy again. We've been lacking someone who can knock it 10 yards into the box and drop at the slightest contact to win us a penalty every game.

Then a striker who offers virtually nothing for 90 minutes but has that world class composure from the spot. Flawless combination play.
I remember him coming on as a sub and straight into the area for a corner and as soon as the corner was taken the ref blew and issued Duffy a red card……those were the days, best forgotten.

Last edited:
That was such a depressing away day and sign of worse things to come.

I remember going to a few away days at Watford but think I'm getting them mixed up in my ageing mind:

I recall the game when we had to wear their away shirts, another when the lights failed and were fixed by a sparky from the crowd and also a game that was called off between the warm up and the start of the game due to a frozen pitch.

I think for each of those games, we were in the Rookery (now their home end); but was that three separate games?

Sean Clare was his greatest experiment for a full back. Dear oh dear!
He'd start him as RB, take him off & Long would shift out to RB from CB. Also, Long would start as RB, Clare subbed in for another CB & Long would switch from RB to CB. We were winning matches with this what I thought at the time excellent 'tactics'. Now, I've learnt that Karl was experimenting / learning.

Loved it when our CB would just casually dribble up, have a 1-2 or 1-2-3-1 & shoot or slot in. It seemed to baff the opps, before they sussed it....

Last edited:
I remember going to a few away days at Watford but think I'm getting them mixed up in my ageing mind:

I recall the game when we had to wear their away shirts, another when the lights failed and were fixed by a sparky from the crowd and also a game that was called off between the warm up and the start of the game due to a frozen pitch.

I think for each of those games, we were in the Rookery (now their home end); but was that three separate games?
Yeah, they were 3 separate occasions. The one that was postponed was in the FA Cup, I think, and it was the rescheduled match that then looked like it might be called off due to the power failure. The match with the wrong shirts was in the league. All in the late 90s. (Though my memories too are vague, so I'm only 90% sure of all this!)

The first touch on the second goal almost makes it better than than the first. Also love the third - a typical Moody bullet finish. What a player he was.
His gymnastics left a lot to be desired though 😂

I remember him coming on as a sub and straight into the area for a corner and as soon as the corner was taken the ref blue and issued Duffy a red card……those were the days, best forgotten.
I met Jim Smith at the time (sponsorship event). He said Rob Duffy had the ability play L1, but lacked any application, and couldn't be bothered to train properly. Also said Andy Burgess was 'Championship ability, with a non-league mentality.'

Is that last season's Brown who won players player and fans player of the year?

I think we all know we need a more attacking left back to fully play the Manning way but let's not pretend it would be the end of the world to have Brown there for a few games!
Bang average he was. Wasn’t any good done a steady job. I would have him as cover but not a starter
I really think that argument you’ve come up with there is going to convince Jake. That’s the one that’s going to change his mind, make him start seeing things a little differently
Defo will not🤣 Brown wasnt any good last season he was ok out of a s**t bunch. Didn’t do anything spectacular for me

Bloody hell I hope we hear atleast a rumour of an incoming player today, this thread is becoming painful to read.
what I do is go to the most recent page and look at the last 4 posts, it saves trawling through all the bickering and pointless posts

It seems like people are firmly entrenched in the Brown debate, and whilst I see the point and the need for a new LB (both for squad depth and for wing back suitability), I don’t think Brown is as bad as some are making out. In fact, he’s not bad at all so I’m baffled with this debate in that regards.

Whether or not you think he’s a suitable LB would probably come down to personal preference of what you want your LB to be. Are you looking for a defensively-solid full-back who will occasionally support attacks, or are you looking for a dynamic wing-back that will look to attack more than defend?

In the former I think Brown is very good, and the latter Brown is decent. I probably think his best position would be the left side CB of a back three, or playing that full-back position.

If Seddon’s on his way out we do need another LB in the squad (we have 51+ games this season and can make 5 subs a game!) and it should be one who can play as a wing back. It’s why the debate is a bit of a moot point, whatever you think, we need a new one anyway.

Last edited:
It seems like people are firmly entrenched in the Brown debate, and whilst I see the point and the need for a new LB (both for squad depth and for wing back suitability), I don’t think Brown is as bad as some are making out. In fact, he’s not bad at all so I’m baffled with this debate in that regards.

Whether or not you think he’s a suitable LB would probably come down to personal preference of what you want your LB to be. Are you looking for a defensively-solid full-back who will occasionally support attacks, or are you looking for a dynamic wing-back that will look to attack more than defend?

In the former I think Brown is very good, and the latter Brown in decent. I probably think his best position would be the left side CB of a back three, or playing that full-back position.

If Seddon’s on his way out we do need another LB in the squad (we have 51+ games this season and can make 5 subs a game!) and it should be one who can play as a wing back.

What an eminently reasonable post, one which I'm sure is the view of the overwhelming majority on here.

In the former I think Brown is very good, and the latter Brown in decent. I probably think his best position would be the left side CB of a back three, or playing that full-back position.

If Seddon’s on his way out we do need another LB in the squad (we have 51+ games this season and can make 5 subs a game!) and it should be one who can play as a wing back. It’s why the debate is a bit of a moot point, whatever you think, we need a new one anyway.
Definitely more of a Centre back I’d have him starting in a back 3 100% but he’s not a starter in a back 4 he isn’t better than Thorniley and he isn’t a natural left back. Look at Leif Davis for Ipswich last season for Ipswich absolutely quality. We could with that type of player. That’s just my opinion I know people are gonna hate it.

I think we're all agreed Seddon isn't good enough to be honest. Would be a short conversation as he's the only left back currently at the club.
Yeah I’m not sure with Seddon I’d have him as wing back cover. Don’t forget he was great the first couple months when we signed him. Sorta got burnt out as he played every single game until the last month 2 of that season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom