Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, the last few pages of this thread. Scott Twine back to L1 when the leagues already long behind him. Brown not good enough for L1 where he’s just been our most consistent and committed player all season.

Anyway, I like this recruitment strategy of getting as much as you can done, then focusing in on the hardest and most expensive bit - forwards - knowing most of the building blocks are there and having clarified the remaining budget.

We’re two players away from a strong starting eleven for this division.

Is Nombe out of contract? I'd imagine he'd set us back a decent sized fee?

No still contracted and yes he'll cost a decent fee. They've just received £750k for the player who went to Peterborough with compensation due as well for another who is looking to go elsewhere.

I actually get the feeling from Manning's interview that we will be a bit more "bargain basement" and taking punts than splashing the cash. If it's Eisa or Nombe you whack in a bid, not go hunting in France.
We have plenty of cash to splash, and will use it to bid on a striker if they deem it necessary. We can do that whilst also scouting talent in non-league and overseas that can be had for cheaper. Money doesn't equal talent, look at the likes of Mahrez and Kante for Leicester and Mitoma for Brighton, they'd be seen as "bargain basement" to you whereas it was actually hugely impressive scouting and recruitment.

I don't necessarily see bargain basement as a bad thing. There is value to be had. I just don't get the impression we will be whacking lots of money on the table. We are working more intelligently.

I don't necessarily see bargain basement as a bad thing. There is value to be had. I just don't get the impression we will be whacking lots of money on the table. We are working more intelligently.

I don’t know what others have heard but I think there has been money on the table for strikers.

Depends if the club feel they can get value elsewhere. Manning obviously has the ability to develop players, it where brighton etc have excelled. We need to recruit the right profile, but also have a clear development strategy and pathway for the player (unlike Smyth!).

Working intelligently and whacking serious money on the table are not mutually exclusive.

It's the Peterborough model of spending £500k-750k on a striker who is on the cusp of turning prolific at this level - with all the right attributes to suggest he will.
It often pays off both in terms of what they contribute to the team now (promotion) and also financially in being sold for a much higher figure down the line.

Some people (not you specifically) seem to equate spending money with being wasteful (perhaps last summer is still too fresh for some).

I'd argue that most successful mid-sized clubs at this level do splash decent levels of cash - but they do so with a clear strategy and with a clear idea of where it is needed (clue, it's not a journeyman winger in his 30s).

I would suggest that is the point we are now at.

Good strikers are hard to come by and we're not going to overpay or jump at the first one that comes along and also willing to look in places that others aren't for a hidden gem using Ed Waldron's knowledge/contacts in France.

That's all I got from the Manning quotes and nothing at all I disagree with.

Pompey have signed a striker from the A-league where they have been looking around to boost their options

Wouldn’t have Henry outwide as has no pace. I think he’s back up to Rodrigues and Bodin in the 10. That squad shows we still need a starting LB as brown is awful there. 2 Strikers and a Winger. But all depends on formation too
Henry is a different sort of wide player. He never was the Gavin W "knock it 10 yards past the full back and have a foot race" type winger. Much more the "move the ball a yard and put in a cross to find Matty T in the box' style. Both are useful.

I just have a gut feeling that Scott Twine is on his way here. I'm not ITK or have any insider info. Just a hunch. Hope I'm not stringing anyone along with this.....
Sorry wishful thinking, more chance of Kevin Keegan coming out of retirement

Henry is a different sort of wide player. He never was the Gavin W "knock it 10 yards past the full back and have a foot race" type winger. Much more the "move the ball a yard and put in a cross to find Matty T in the box' style. Both are useful.
I think Henry is back up back up. Someone I would move on but may be hard doing so

Working intelligently and whacking serious money on the table are not mutually exclusive.

It's the Peterborough model of spending £500k-750k on a striker who is on the cusp of turning prolific at this level - with all the right attributes to suggest he will.
It often pays off both in terms of what they contribute to the team now (promotion) and also financially in being sold for a much higher figure down the line.

Some people (not you specifically) seem to equate spending money with being wasteful (perhaps last summer is still too fresh for some).

I'd argue that most successful mid-sized clubs at this level do splash decent levels of cash - but they do so with a clear strategy and with a clear idea of where it is needed (clue, it's not a journeyman winger in his 30s).

I would suggest that is the point we are now at.
This interested me so I had a look at Posh’s performance in the league in recent years.

Since getting relegated from the championship in 2012/13, they’ve been promoted only once - famously in ‘Operation Vengeance’ or whatever it was called. Further, in that time, they’ve also only been in the playoffs a further two times - both seasons the ones immediately following their relegation from the league above (ie 13/14 and 22/23). They otherwise finish around upper-ish mid table.

I suppose three top-6 finishes in their last nine seasons in this division isn’t too bad a hit rate, but it’s quite interesting I think how many (myself included) intuitively think of their recruitment policy as being something of the gold standard, the model by which we should all hope to live, when the actual efficacy on the pitch isn’t really that great.

This interested me so I had a look at Posh’s performance in the league in recent years.

Since getting relegated from the championship in 2012/13, they’ve been promoted only once - famously in ‘Operation Vengeance’ or whatever it was called. Further, in that time, they’ve also only been in the playoffs a further two times - both seasons the ones immediately following their relegation from the league above (ie 13/14 and 22/23). They otherwise finish around upper-ish mid table.

I suppose three top-6 finishes in their last nine seasons in this division isn’t too bad a hit rate, but it’s quite interesting I think how many (myself included) intuitively think of their recruitment policy as being something of the gold standard, the model by which we should all hope to live, when the actual efficacy on the pitch isn’t really that great.
Would be interesting to know what their balance sheet is like too over that period. It’s less sexy data than league positions, but if they are living sustainably with their finances via a player trading model then that is impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom