Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This interested me so I had a look at Posh’s performance in the league in recent years.

Since getting relegated from the championship in 2012/13, they’ve been promoted only once - famously in ‘Operation Vengeance’ or whatever it was called. Further, in that time, they’ve also only been in the playoffs a further two times - both seasons the ones immediately following their relegation from the league above (ie 13/14 and 22/23). They otherwise finish around upper-ish mid table.

I suppose three top-6 finishes in their last nine seasons in this division isn’t too bad a hit rate, but it’s quite interesting I think how many (myself included) intuitively think of their recruitment policy as being something of the gold standard, the model by which we should all hope to live, when the actual efficacy on the pitch isn’t really that great.

Peterborough are, by any metric, a significantly smaller club than us. If someone said to you that in 10 years time Northampton (a better comparison with Posh) had achieved relative stability as a club regularly challenging for promotion from L1 and enjoying the odd year in The Championship you'd conclude that they're doing something right.

You're probably right that Peterborough have become an easy short-hand for a progressive transfer policy, and perhaps others have done it more successfully - but the general concept is that it allows clubs to consistently over-perform vs their size and historical status.

We're a bigger club and if we were to operate in this way I would expect us to exceed anything Peterborough have achieved in that time.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a loan deal for Scott Twine and perm deal for Kyle Joseph.

Twine did not play enough in the Championship to guarantee a championship loan move. I could see him ending up at one of the bigger spending div 1 teams, although having worked with Manning previously that may sway him out way if a Div 1 loan is a possibility.

I’m one of those that would like Joseph back on a perm deal. 11 goals last season, can play out wide (best position) or down the middle if needed. Seems to have a good attitude and I think will continue to improve, so if we’ve money to spend I think £300 - £500k on him could be decent business. He’s only 21, so decent future transfer fee value. He fits the player trading model we need to return to. Although a stumbling block may now be his ex manager taking over at Swansea, so perhaps he’ll get more of a look in there.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a loan deal for Scott Twine and perm deal for Kyle Joseph.

Twine did not play enough in the Championship to guarantee a championship loan move. I could see him ending up at one of the bigger spending div 1 teams, although having worked with Manning previously that may sway him out way if a Div 1 loan is a possibility.

I’m one of those that would like Joseph back on a perm deal. 11 goals last season, can play out wide (best position) or down the middle if needed. Seems to have a good attitude and I think will continue to improve, so if we’ve money to spend I think £300 - £500k on him could be decent business. He’s only 21, so decent future transfer fee value. He fits the player trading model we need to return to. Although a stumbling block may now be his ex manager taking over at Swansea, so perhaps he’ll get more of a look in there.
That wouldn’t solve our problem. Joseph isn’t a striker and neither is twine. Doubt twine would drop down to league 1. Both those players are better out wide or inverted. We need an out and out number 9

I’m a bit baffled as to why people think we could get Joseph for under 500k when we bit more than that in January and it was rejected, add to that now that Piroe is off to Leicester.

Twine is most definitely not dropping to L1.
I wouldn’t pay more than 400k for Joseph. He isn’t anything special works hard but hasn’t got that quality we need. We can go for a better player for the same price

The only evidence that we are getting Twine is someone having a “feeling” about it, in that case we should of signed Kelly Brook a lot over the last twenty years because I had plenty of feelings about her.

It will be two forwards who haven’t been mentioned on here coming in I reckon, can’t see us getting a bigger name in as other than local boy Taylor we have really struggled to attract forwards since returning to this level.

I'll just leave this here.
According to the debate on this week's Dub, we don't need an additional left back as we already have cover (Long, Stevens, Thorniley). The assumption of course is that Brown is the starting left back.

Last edited:
I’m a bit baffled as to why people think we could get Joseph for under 500k when we bid more than that in January and it was rejected, add to that now that Piroe is off to Leicester.

Twine is most definitely not dropping to L1.

I would guess that Twine will go to somewhere like Bristol City

According to the debate on this week's Dub, we don't need an additional left back as we already have cover (Long, Stevens, Thorniley). The assumption of course is that Brown is the obvious starting left back.
One of Long or Stevens will be playing at RB and, I hope, Thorniley is a starting CB, so it leaves just one of them as cover, meaning we go back to the bad old days of re-jigging the whole back line as we don't have adequate cover.

Hopefully Brown will be the back up to a new, better, LB.

According to the debate on this week's Dub, we don't need an additional left back as we already have cover (Long, Stevens, Thorniley). The assumption of course is that Brown is the starting left back.
Bringing the Ciaron Brown debate back after all of the weekend chat we've all had to endure, are we?

Twine would be on ok signing, maybe do a job in the pizza games?
I’d sign him for 100k and then loan him out to Oxford City for the season, personally.

Possibly let him play in the earlier rounds of the Oxfordshire Senior Cup for us, so we can see if he might make a squad player in 24/25.

Twine would be a good loan to bring in, he would provide some good cover for Bodin.
I’d sign him for 100k and then loan him out to Oxford City for the season, personally.

Possibly let him play in the earlier rounds of the Oxfordshire Senior Cup for us, so we can see if he might make a squad player in 24/25.
IMG_3877.jpeg

Seddon appeared to be in Spain? Or have I got that wrong ( pictures on twitter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom