Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I admire the enthusiasm, I am still baffled we are talking about the playoffs being our target.

Last season we barely escaped relegation. We haven't been told we have some kind of massive budget for a total overhaul so it's fair to say a lot of those players will still be here this year. I really can only see this as a year for bedding in and achieving a top half finish rather than challenging for the top; we have so much rebalancing to do and so many players who are simply not at the level for promotion chasing who we can't simply jettison due to contracts and who we can't sell due to nobody wanting them.

I like the faith but I think it'll be 2 or 3 windows before we could see a team that pulls together and gels. Do hope I'm wrong though.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding regarding any budget talk. We have a playoff budget. The budget is decent in isolation. Not remotely hard up - the number at the bottom is good. No suggestion of otherwise.

The difference is that we now have a CEO with a CFO background, whose job is to manage asset columns and waste as part of managing the bottom line. The number at the bottom is merely one part of it.

Can we ‘afford’ to carry seven wingers, six central midfielders and a senior squad of 30? Yes. Would doing so comply with basic business principles and be seen as sound asset management on the part of the CEO? Almost certainly not.

It will be very intriguing to see the makeup of the squad on paper by the end of August.

Whilst I admire the enthusiasm, I am still baffled we are talking about the playoffs being our target.

Last season we barely escaped relegation. We haven't been told we have some kind of massive budget for a total overhaul so it's fair to say a lot of those players will still be here this year. I really can only see this as a year for bedding in and achieving a top half finish rather than challenging for the top; we have so much rebalancing to do and so many players who are simply not at the level for promotion chasing who we can't simply jettison due to contracts and who we can't sell due to nobody wanting them.

I like the faith but I think it'll be 2 or 3 windows before we could see a team that pulls together and gels. Do hope I'm wrong though.
Meh, things can change round pretty fast at this level, it’s only div three. As long as we get our strikers and full backs I don’t see why we won’t challenge for the playoffs, if the manager is actually any good.

It is certainly difficult to judge all the wingers on their output as most were injured for a huge chunk of the season

Meh, things can change round pretty fast at this level, it’s only div three. As long as we get our strikers and full backs I don’t see why we won’t challenge for the playoffs, if the manager is actually any good.
I think you’re right, some people are talking about it like it’s this big dynasty building process, taking a few years to complete but I totally disagree - you can actually turn a relegation team around in League One in a January window! New manager, couple of decent signings, we’ve seen teams shoot up the table. You can certainly build a new team in the summer, it happens all the time. Give me enough cash and a decent manager and you could build a League One promotion winning side from 0 players in the close season, all it takes is a few Scott Twine type signings who are actually really Championship level and a you’ll blow away a lot of the average dross you see kicking around mid table.

Getting rid of your dead wood is a different thing, and takes longer, but a new manager can also revitalise players. Almost no player at this level is incapable of ever having a good season, they wouldn’t be a professional otherwise. The right man manager, the right circumstances, the right luck with injuries and players who one season looked below average at best can start winning you games.

Obviously we might not do any of this, and we might indeed spend this season consolidating around mid table, but I don’t think that it’s somehow inevitable or part of a process we have to go through.

I don't think our budget will be hugely compromised as a result, and it will create strength in depth like we've not had for years.

Would you look at the wide players in that list :rolleyes:

The budget is already hugely compromised (unless it's been hugely increased). Wouldn't surprise me if some on here are disappointed come September. Hope they don't blame Manning.

The aim every season should be to finish as high as you possibly can.

Agreed, we should be talking about winning the Title. 😁

We aren't guaranteed to get a 20 goal a season striker, they're rare at this level, and that's why depth at this level is so important - you can't rely on one or two players.

This always seems to be an accepted myth.
We've literallly had one up until last season ourselves!

5 players hit 20 goals last season in League One. One of those played for Cheltenham (May) and is absolutely available and achievable. One was at Pompey (Bishop) and is exactly the sort of signing we should have made last summer. Both showed the previous season that they are that calibre.

Then you have those who scored 14+ (often in bottom half sides) and easily have the potential. Yes, Sam Nombe at Exeter could well hit 20 this season at this level in a promotion chasing side. Adeboyejo went from Burton to Bolton in January - expect him to get to that level too. Not to mention players like Hardie who were heavily rotated and would likely get 20 as a first choice No.9.

It's a competitive market but they're not mythical or unattainable. We could have had Bishop last summer. We could have had Adeboyejo in January and we could yet have May or Nombe this window.

We don't need to dismiss this as some pipe dream. We're not expecting a striker who is inexplicably still at this level despite banging 25 season after season - that won't happen.

We need to either spot them on the cusp and/or be one step ahead of the competition on those who have done the business at Accrington or Burton or Cheltenham.

With the signing of Rodrigues we've shown we're now more than capable of doing just that.

Cor, isn’t it nice to actually have a manager whose judgement you can trust?! I don’t really care who we sign or who we let go. Well, I do of course, but I’m not going to stress about it because I am already certain that we’ll have a broadly balanced squad, with plans to further strengthen in January and again next summer. After so many windows of chaos and bullshit from KR this already feels so much better.
Exactly where I am..
Management duo, recruitment team, board, money men all seemingly functioning properly and in harmony, so I'm just happy to relax and watch it all unfold (as opposed to unravel) over the next few weeks

I'm pretty relaxed about it all so far. We've made some decent signings, Manning managed to get more out of the players at the end of last season (and will have a pre-season to work with them), the PSFs seem sensible (none of that 3 games in 2 days nonsense) and they are looking to get more players in this week before they go off to Spain.

Yes, there are still gaps (gaping ones!) in the squad, and there's a bit of player selling/releasing we could do with doing, but unless we get to the end of the PSFs without addressing those issues it looks like it's all going OK to me. The proof of the pudding is in the eating of course, but I am hopeful of significant improvement over last season - whether that equates to 'safe', 'midtable', 'threatening the playoffs', 'in the playoffs' or 'promoted' I have no idea - and until the squad is complete, neither does anyone else!

Any players from Burnley that would be good loan signings?

In The Times interview with Manning he says he had a call with Kompany about players of interest.
I've missed this. Are you able to link to the piece in the Times?

I've missed this. Are you able to link to the piece in the Times?
A link is on the Manning thread. Because I'm in an unusually helpful mood this morning...

A link is on the Manning thread. Because I'm in an unusually helpful mood this morning...

Blimey - very out of character!

(Ta!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom