Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Where I’ve been particularly impressed with Manning is the way he’s tightened us up. When you think of his free flowing MK side and his West Ham connection there’s an obvious thought process that he‘s going to produce easy on the eye teams who might lack a bit of robustness. Not a chance though, we’ve looked very solid for a team in the bottom six.

Moore has been a colossus since Manning arrived, Findlay in his best form since joining the club and with Long, Brown and Eastwood all performing well we’ve had a really settled defence and that has been key in giving us a base for putting the icing on the cake with these last two performances.
I've seen a few people say similar to this both recently and when he joined and I'm not entirely sure why. Only Rotherham conceded fewer goals in League 1 last season than MK Dons, it seems almost as if people bought into the argument of "yeah Karl's team concedes goals but we also score them, would you rather we had Ainsworth here lumping it long??".

It's entirely possible to score goals and also not concede too many if you're well coached. Ipswich are top scorers and have the best defence this year and we did the same under Appleton in League 2. This isn't to diminish what he's done at all considering what he inherited but I hope fans expectations are higher next season in general, over the last couple of years especially it's been noticeable how willing plenty are to accept mediocrity or poor performance because we sometimes play great stuff.

I was thinking the same. KR’s pre seasons were shambolic, a bit like his transfer dealings. No coincidence we always started a season so badly under him and therefore playing catch up straight away. I’m so excited for what LM can do.

MK Dons won only two of their first eight league games this season under Manning.
That said I'm hopeful of an exciting summer and a fast start.

If Manning wants him then offer him a contract on reduced terms. The same can be said on Anderson and Jones who we both have the option of another year.

Players are contracted until June 30th and I would of thought Manning would bring them back to the club and decide their future before anyone goes on holiday.

Jones will be involved with Notts County's play off campaign but that will be all decided by the 13th of May.

He’s up against some stiff competition but nominated for Manager of the month none the less, congrats Liam Manning

He’s pulled off the Great escape. We were nose diving in to Lge 2. He’s done a marvellous job, and got tunes out of players that the previous manager couldn’t do. He’s given them belief, and you can see that on the football pitch, as well as making us more compact, and conceding less, and actually scoring at the other end.

LM yellow army will do well next season.

Hope this link works. Great article about Liam Manning in The Times.

Unfortunately behind Firewall but seems to be readable on Twitter from James Roberts below.

@JamesR_95 on Twitter

Last edited:
Very good article. Pretty in-depth. LM comes across as a very decent bloke, but definitely no pushover. Explains that he dropped Murphy and then ignored him deliberately, waiting for him (Murphy) to come and knock on his door . All designed to provoke Murphy. Have to say, it seemed to work. You can tell the journalist liked LM.

I was talking to someone this evening who has recently left the club to move into a different field of sports. He worked with both Robinson and Manning so I asked, what was the difference?
He gushed about Manning, said he’s a really nice guy who when he was introduced was asking questions, sounded interested, remembered his name and came over as a 100% person. He said the club is a completely different place, the players love him as he is thoroughly supportive.

He wasn’t a fan of Robinson and that on more than one occasion, Robinson was walking towards him, so he said Hello, but the ignorant clown just blanked him as he was so up his own a**e. He said the guy was despised by quite a number of players and staff.

Happier days now.

I think Maloney will win it, getting the sympathy vote for the points deduction.
Has a manager who lost a game 7-0 ever won?

If he gets it can we claim that Port Vale was the jinx game?! :O

As we were top on 31 August he really should get the award if solely based on our league playing record in August.

If he gets it can we claim that Port Vale was the jinx game?! :O

As we were top on 31 August he really should get the award if solely based on our league playing record in August.
2-0 away defeat to Cambridge (and League cup first round away battering by Bristol City 5-1, not the league, but it was the league cup! ) excepted?

2-0 away defeat to Cambridge (and League cup first round away battering by Bristol City 5-1, not the league, but it was the league cup! ) excepted?
Sorry Sarge, badly worded. I meant that, assuming that Manager of Month normally being based on league matches, we had the best League 1 record of August on the basis of being top of the league at the end of the month, so assume he'll be favourite, unless they do take in to account League Cup matches.

Back
Top Bottom