Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyle Joseph has 2 years left on his contract and there's absolutely no way we would get him for half a million pound less than we bid for him 5 months ago!

Other than that, it sounds like a great rumour!
My mistake, thought I’d seen somewhere he was out of contract next year. I however have no reason to disbelieve what I’ve been told.

I didn't say that the contracts were right, or the Robinson was right to give them. Believe it or not, not everything is about our previous manager!!

I'm talking about the here and now. And if Murphy produces the form that he did in the last few games of last season over the next year then his wages will be an absolute steal. Wildschut is harder to judge because he had an horrific injury and was never fully fit. If he stays and is fully match fit then he could still be a real asset.

Given the amount we're paying him, 25-30 involvements in goals (i.e. goals + assists) should be the absolute minimum expectation. He's paid like one of the best players in the division - the expectation should be that he's playing like one.

As it was, his season's contribution was three assists - one against Charlton, two against Cheltenham. He doesn't offer you anything defensively, so his only contribution is making or scoring goals.

Now he's so far in arrears, the only way his wage becomes an "absolute steal" is if he tears up the division like noone has done before. I'm thinking 20 goals + 20 assists sort of territory, leading us to promotion. I won't be holding my breath.

I'll be cheering him on next season as long as he's putting the effort in. But even if he has a decent-to-good season next year, he's still been a massive waste of money for the club.

So when was the last time a full squad was assembled before the start of pre-season (bearing in mind they are back now and and most contracts aren't up until 1st July)?

Maybe if you could give an example of a time when a manager "got it right" and how that translated to successful campaign, following such early recruitment, we would at least have an idea of what you consider to be the standard Manning needs to achieve, in your opinion.

Otherwise it just sounds like pointless, negative whining with no real idea what successful recruitment looks like 🤷‍♂️

I guess you could argue, simplistically, that the last time a manager really got it right was MApp in 2015/16.

Then he had almost all the key pieces in place by July 1st.
BUT we didn't sign Lundstram until August 13th, and we didn't sign Maguire until November 26th (which couldn't happen nowadays).
(we also brought in Buchel on September 4th.....but given that he was mediocre-if-I'm-being-generous, his signing was not transformative!)

That feels about right to me - get most of your business done early, in time for a full pre-season. But leave a couple of squad spots open for those last minute opportunistic deals, or those quality players that are just taking their time to pick a club.....

Judging by the latest behind the scenes pre season YW seems to have lost about a stone to me

I however have no reason to disbelieve what I’ve been told.

Despite one key aspect being evidently wrong?

At 250-300k Swansea would laugh in the face of any bids. They have no need to sell and could get similar money on loan fees alone for the next two years with the chance of him having a great season and his valuation going up.

But happy for you to believe what you've been told.

Careers can turn on a single moment and Murphy, ultimately, played a major part in keeping us up. Forget the pass, it was the desire to charge down the defender in the Cheltenham game that I remember. From that moment on he was unplayable. I'm really looking forward to seeing him carry this momentum on and in to the new season.

Just to clarify Dick, when you say ‘from that moment he was unplayable’ - do you mean in the game or the season?

He was very good second half against Cheltenham. Brilliant cross for Browne’s header too. Not denying that. He was also excellent for the half against Charlton.

But this fella has been on massive money and totally underperformed. Some games it genuinely felt like he wasn’t trying. Even after his good half against Cheltenham, he had a non existent hour against FGR.

I don’t think Manning trusts him and rightly so.

There can’t be a load of stick at YW door and then we say Murphy might turn up. That’s just giving Murphy a free pass.

I’ve heard from a friend, who’s heard it from a couple of different people, who have got a few other things right. Not the type to just say it for no reason put it that way.
Aren't these the lyrics to REO Speedwagon's "Take It On The Run"? (Not that I'm a fan!)

(Edit - ah I see someone else got there first :) )

Possible spot the player game on the new training video. 3.04 mins in. the only current player i could think he might be is mcguane but with blonde hair!
New player?

Despite one key aspect being evidently wrong?

At 250-300k Swansea would laugh in the face of any bids. They have no need to sell and could get similar money on loan fees alone for the next two years with the chance of him having a great season and his valuation going up.

But happy for you to believe what you've been told.
How do you know? If they see him as surplus to requirements then maybe they will accept 250-350k plus add ons dependant on success and performance, which is normal in most deals. I have to say I find your self righteousness tiring sometimes scotch as nobody can be right apart from yourself.

I’m happy to believe what I’ve been told yes. If it doesn’t come to fruition it doesn’t mean what I was told at the time was incorrect.

I can't tell, but last time someone mentioned a mystery player with blond hair, it was Brearey, I think.

Can you post a list of clubs that have already completed their transfer business?
Mellowyellow said:
Is that why we still have so many places to fill again, with preseason already under way.

If you are to rejoin the forum as an OUFC fan, please actually take the time to read the post.
Where on earth do I say the club shoud have all their business done? I cant see any correlation. Just trying to gain favour
Please put me on ignore,
and wait until your messiah gets his next job, so you can move on.
I see after all clown did to destroy the club your defence of him, you are still looking to pull some of the blame away from him, as Leysboy pointed out.

Mellowyellow said:
Is that why we still have so many places to fill again, with preseason already under way.

If you are to rejoin the forum as an OUFC fan, please actually take the time to read the post.
Where on earth do I say the club shoud have all their business done? I cant see any correlation. Just trying to gain favour
Please put me on ignore,
and wait until your messiah gets his next job, so you can move on.
I see after all clown did to destroy the club your defence of him, you are still looking to pull some of the blame away from him, as Leysboy pointed out.

Congratulations on reaching your 100th post about Karl since he left, but do you think you might be a little obsessed?

And thanks for asking if I'm rejoining the forum as an Oxford fan, I would just like to point out a couple of facts.

1. I started watching Oxford in 1983.
2. I have supported Oxford through 32 different managers (include caretaker roles)
3. Nothing you say makes any sense
4. Mention the poll again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom