Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
'If' and 'could be' are once again doing some heavy lifting for certain posters over the summer months.

I like the general calibre of signings we're making now because there is no 'if' or 'maybe' or 'perhaps' with Rodrigues or Thorniley - they're known trusted quantities ready and raring to go.

Always a red flag when the 'ifs' start filling the threads, whether it's players we've had for 12 months or completely new entities like Burey.

Last summer was littered with 'ifs' and how many came through?

"If we wait until later in the window"
"If we can get a tune out of Murphy"
"If Wildschut can get back to his Wigan form"
"If Gorrin can get fit"
"If we can get 20 games out of Baldock"
"If we sign a full-back"
"If McGuane can be made into a CDM"
"If Djavan Anderson can play RB"
"If Jodi Jones can rediscover his Cov form"
"If Jerome Sinclair gives up the chicken shop"

Out with the If's. In with the Sure Things.
100% Robinson's default was to gamble so he could bask in the glory of seeing something others missed if it paid off (but dodge responsibility if it didnt). We need a strong, dependable core and only then, if budget allows, consider some potential 'ifs'. Early signs are that this is how Manning, Hodge and the recruitment team see things too.

McEachran seems to be the DMF player.
I wouod be amazed if Gorrin stays- most definitely doesnt appear to be a Manning player
Yep, he’s just not good enough with the ball. I thought he was found lacking in that dept before his first injury.

Can't see Gorrin ever getting back to what he was, unfortunately.

We're still lacking athleticism and power in midfield. I really hope it's something that is addressed.

Are we passed the ‘low hanging fruit’ stage of the window? Feels like the whole thing (and not just for us) has slowed right down.

Players still hold a lot of cards at this stage. Guess that changes the closer we get to the start of the season.

By my reckoning he has played 88 games in the Championship going for £millions.
I am not sure that the only attribute is pace and that 'he is a pretty poor footballer'.
He has to have some attributes to play so many Championship games. If he is fit and can get some confidence, who knows?
I've just formed an opinion on him based on watching him play quite a lot of football back then, and again last season. If you want to judge a player by his past and former transfer fees then that's your call Karl. Sorry, Foley.

Yep, he’s just not good enough with the ball. I thought he was found lacking in that dept before his first injury.
To be fair I don't think his job was ever to be particularly good with the ball. I personally think when Gorrin was in that DM position breaking up play was when we played some of our best football under KR. Allowed everyone infront of him that bit more freedom.

I didn't say that the contracts were right, or the Robinson was right to give them. Believe it or not, not everything is about our previous manager!!

I'm talking about the here and now. And if Murphy produces the form that he did in the last few games of last season over the next year then his wages will be an absolute steal. Wildschut is harder to judge because he had an horrific injury and was never fully fit. If he stays and is fully match fit then he could still be a real asset.
Crazy season begins, in earnest...

100% Gorrin should not get a new deal and quite generous for the club to let him stay for rehab beyond his contract. Just is not worth giving a 1 year deal to someone who cannot keep fit. Hopefully that is something Manning gets away from which Robinson was very guilty of doing!

I didn't say that the contracts were right, or the Robinson was right to give them. Believe it or not, not everything is about our previous manager!!

I'm talking about the here and now. And if Murphy produces the form that he did in the last few games of last season over the next year then his wages will be an absolute steal. Wildschut is harder to judge because he had an horrific injury and was never fully fit. If he stays and is fully match fit then he could still be a real asset.

You can’t be serious about Murphy?
Bloke had one good half against Charlton around Christmas and one good half against Cheltenham.

The way he played a 5 yard pass to Joseph in the Cheltenham game and stood in front of the East stand like Mbappe, after ripping us off with his performances all year was a joke.

Wouldn’t want him anywhere near the side. Total liability.

Bloke had one good half against Charlton around Christmas and one good half against Cheltenham.

The way he played a 5 yard pass to Joseph in the Cheltenham game and stood in front of the East stand like Mbappe, after ripping us off with his performances all year was a joke.

Careers can turn on a single moment and Murphy, ultimately, played a major part in keeping us up. Forget the pass, it was the desire to charge down the defender in the Cheltenham game that I remember. From that moment on he was unplayable. I'm really looking forward to seeing him carry this momentum on and in to the new season.

Careers can turn on a single moment and Murphy, ultimately, played a major part in keeping us up. Forget the pass, it was the desire to charge down the defender in the Cheltenham game that I remember. From that moment on he was unplayable. I'm really looking forward to seeing him carry this momentum on and in to the new season.
He played a big part in winning that game, which kept us up, after contributing very little previously. We don’t know what went on so I dont see the point in people spouting their ill informed opinions about his psyche. Certainly his team mates seemed delighted for him

There are very few wingers that aren't liabilities these days. I was thinking about this just yesterday - take every winger in League One and you could probably count on one hand how many are consistent/consistently effective across a season.

Our old friend Lawrence 'Red Card' Vigouroux clearly didn't want to play against us again as he has completed his transfer from Leyton Orient to Burnley.

He was absolutely terrible for most of the season but call a spade a spade, he was unplayable in that half against Charlton and was excellent against Cheltenham. I wouldn't be bothered at all if he left tomorrow but let's not pretend we didn't see a glimpse of what could be. If he were to recreate those performances for even 50% of his time on the pitch then he'd be a great player to have in the squad.

Our old friend Lawrence 'Red Card' Vigouroux clearly didn't want to play against us again as he has completed his transfer from Leyton Orient to Burnley.

That's a hell of a move for him. Probably gone from about £1500 a week to about £15,000 a week. Mind you, he probably wont get a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom