Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Yanic I've definitly seen something in him that could be really good at Div 1 level. He clearly wasn't fit last year, and he looks in better shape from the recent photos. On occasions last season he seemed to have good body strength which he used to brush past full backs and pull the ball back. But I completely agree that we needed more from him last year, as we did from others etc.

However, posters that I respect like @RyanioBirdio and @ECYellow are on a completely different page! If he is with us at the start of the season then it will be iinteresting to see if he gets a chance to start and if he does how he performs. I don't think he is quite the write off that others are implying he is.

I didn't say that the contracts were right, or the Robinson was right to give them. Believe it or not, not everything is about our previous manager!!

I'm talking about the here and now. And if Murphy produces the form that he did in the last few games of last season over the next year then his wages will be an absolute steal. Wildschut is harder to judge because he had an horrific injury and was never fully fit. If he stays and is fully match fit then he could still be a real asset.
I wouldn’t say his wages would be a steel based upon him producing this season as we basically didn’t have his services for last season, so you could argue that to potentially get one good season out of him has cost us double.

Didn’t think we were replacing him, but seeing how his recovery goes, unless I’ve missed something?
I think we were helping Gorrin with his rehab as the first step. Being realistic we did that previously and in his brief cameo appearances last season he looked a shadow of his former self, that’s before he got a further serious injury again. He won’t be good enough or able to compete at League One level again I don’t think, not after what we saw last season.

If we can help him get fit and support him then we have done our bit, but I think his long term football career is probably at a lower level going forward, for which I wish him all the luck in the world as he was a decent player for us. However we can’t have any room for sentiment and have to be much more sensible and pragmatic with future contracts.

Didn’t think we were replacing him, but seeing how his recovery goes, unless I’ve missed something?
Maybe I have then, but my impression was that he has no chance of being able to slot into the first team come first game of the season (if at all) so having a new first choice for the position seems sensible

Maybe I have then, but my impression was that he has no chance of being able to slot into the first team come first game of the season (if at all) so having a new first choice for the position seems sensible
Yeah, agree with this totally

Last edited:
We are doing the same thing with Wildschut that we did with Seddon last summer.

Goes away for a bit and we start to convince ourselves that he'll be fine, he wasn't that bad, he can be a good back-up option, he showed good flashes etc.

If we want to move forward and be a competitive force at the top end of League One, which I think we do, Wildschut is not going to be anywhere near good enough.

And I am not seriously reading stuff about pay-per-play deals, am I? Please not this again.

'If' and 'could be' are once again doing some heavy lifting for certain posters over the summer months.

I like the general calibre of signings we're making now because there is no 'if' or 'maybe' or 'perhaps' with Rodrigues or Thorniley - they're known trusted quantities ready and raring to go.

Always a red flag when the 'ifs' start filling the threads, whether it's players we've had for 12 months or completely new entities like Burey.

Last summer was littered with 'ifs' and how many came through?

"If we wait until later in the window"
"If we can get a tune out of Murphy"
"If Wildschut can get back to his Wigan form"
"If Gorrin can get fit"
"If we can get 20 games out of Baldock"
"If we sign a full-back"
"If McGuane can be made into a CDM"
"If Djavan Anderson can play RB"
"If Jodi Jones can rediscover his Cov form"
"If Jerome Sinclair gives up the chicken shop"

Out with the If's. In with the Sure Things.

With Yanic I've definitly seen something in him that could be really good at Div 1 level. He clearly wasn't fit last year, and he looks in better shape from the recent photos. On occasions last season he seemed to have good body strength which he used to brush past full backs and pull the ball back. But I completely agree that we needed more from him last year, as we did from others etc.

However, posters that I respect like @RyanioBirdio and @ECYellow are on a completely different page! If he is with us at the start of the season then it will be iinteresting to see if he gets a chance to start and if he does how he performs. I don't think he is quite the write off that others are implying he is.
I saw him at Tesco a few months ago, parking somewhere he shouldn’t.

There’s no way back for the guy. Not after that.

Are you sure it wasn’t Baldock that you saw parking in a disabled bay?
Hey - he could’ve been parking in a parent and child space despite being unaccompanied for all you know. Or in the drop off / pick up zone by the cash machines. Or where the click and collect vans go. Or in the middle of the petrol station forecourt. He could’ve even driven inside the store and left it next to the deli counter.

We do need to firm up some more transfers before the training camp. If not then to some extent we are throwing money down the pan by going to Spain. A bonding, team building week with a good chunk of the starting 11 missing!

Surely anyone who watched a game last season that YW played in can’t honestly believe he is good enough for a team looking to get back to the top end of league 1. Let’s not allow a couple months break to cloud judgement, plenty of the squad last year were simply not good enough and don’t deserve a second chance, we should be clearing as much of the dead wood as we can & bringing in players who are on an upward trajectory, something Manning has done very well so far & long may it continue

'If' and 'could be' are once again doing some heavy lifting for certain posters over the summer months.

I like the general calibre of signings we're making now because there is no 'if' or 'maybe' or 'perhaps' with Rodrigues or Thorniley - they're known trusted quantities ready and raring to go.

Always a red flag when the 'ifs' start filling the threads, whether it's players we've had for 12 months or completely new entities like Burey.

Last summer was littered with 'ifs' and how many came through?

"If we wait until later in the window"
"If we can get a tune out of Murphy"
"If Wildschut can get back to his Wigan form"
"If Gorrin can get fit"
"If we can get 20 games out of Baldock"
"If we sign a full-back"
"If McGuane can be made into a CDM"
"If Djavan Anderson can play RB"
"If Jodi Jones can rediscover his Cov form"
"If Jerome Sinclair gives up the chicken shop"

Out with the If's. In with the Sure Things.
Rudyard Kipling's let himself go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom