Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge potential as a young player in the Bundesliga and BL2, and was an exciting prospect 10 years back. Not sure of what he's like now but potentially a great signing at this level (with a lot of ifs).
Must say I'd be mightily underwhlemed if he signed for us, but in mitigation, he's played 170 games in the Premier League, Championship and League One. That's a few managers who must see something in him.

That's a few times I've seen Goodrham mentioned as a "squad or backup" player. Believe me if Saturday was anything to go by the young man has continued to improve significantly. I would now think he is pushing to be a first choice wide attacking forward.
Yes sorry, Tyler has been very impressive through pre-season and deserves his spot. It was more of a comparison of Burey with some of our current wide forward players and the fact that we have very similar players already. But not really goal poachers like Marriott/Taylor.

Does anyone else automatically want to type Burley and not Burey? ...

And doesn't do much assisting either. This screams 'panic signing' and just trying to get the numbers up at Cambridge (who look a great bet for relegation this season).

These quotes from Bonner too... 😬

"He is a player of excellent pedigree who has played a lot of football at a higher level"

"We have received nothing but positive character references in our work to sign Elias and once we get him up to speed, I have no doubt he will play a big role in helping us achieve our objectives this season"

"If we get him fit he'll be one of the best strikers at this level"

I may have made the last one up, but there's some serious alarm bells in there if you're a Cambridge fan.

We're signing Rodrigues and Mills while they're signing Kachunga and Kaikai. Worth bearing in mind - especially if you're inclined to believe that a point would be a good result this weekend.
Now guaranteed to both score a brace (although not on that record you'd think)!

NB: Can't help but feel we are a little too confident, maybe not quite at the 24 points from our first 8 games of last season, but.......

That's a few times I've seen Goodrham mentioned as a "squad or backup" player. Believe me if Saturday was anything to go by the young man has continued to improve significantly. I would now think he is pushing to be a first choice wide attacking forward.
Big time. I had people disagreeing with me when I said he should be starting ahead of Murphy at the start of Manning's reign because he "didn't have the experience". I've not managed to see any pre season games but based on what I saw last season, Manning's comments and reports on here from people who have seen games it should be his short to lose.

Huge potential as a young player in the Bundesliga and BL2, and was an exciting prospect 10 years back. Not sure of what he's like now but potentially a great signing at this level (with a lot of ifs).

If you changed Bundesliga to Eredivisie you could be talking about Yanic.

Nothing against the lad but I expect his career to go a similar way.

Must say I'd be mightily underwhlemed if he signed for us, but in mitigation, he's played 170 games in the Premier League, Championship and League One. That's a few managers who must see something in him.

Or is that just the nature of the industry?

Bonner himself has cited the number of games played. Kachunga signs for Cambridge, plays 30 times next season without much impact and then next Summer it's the turn of the Sutton or Barnet manager (who is by this time citing 'over 200 appearances in the top 3 divisions').

Once you've caught a wave you can continue to ride it out - even if entirely ineffectual - until you're into the shallows. The bigger the wave and the earlier you catch it, the longer the ride.

Makes sense. A bit like me with my uncluttered second monitor image.

View attachment 14909

An ex footballer whose name now escapes me described Jim Smith as hung like a horse and John Wark as hung like a sea horse in a lads mag back in the day when they were a thing, made me quite proud if I am honest.

• Wow
Reactions: MJB
I think you're right. I still have one foot in the 'let's see' camp because he is still finding his way and we're looking for a different type of season this year so we'll learn a lot about his level - can he keep Mills, Murphy etc on the bench? Can he be as effective in games where teams just play to stop him? He was absolutely superb against QPR, not for the first time, but that was a particularly complete & blemish-free performance. What I really like is how he stands up to the physical side of the game and his tenacity completely offsets his small frame! He absolutely deserves to start on Saturday and set the bar for that position. Really excited for & about him this season. He's earned access to the platform to perform now.

I think you're right. I still have one foot in the 'let's see' camp because he is still finding his way and we're looking for a different type of season this year so we'll learn a lot about his level - can he keep Mills, Murphy etc on the bench? Can he be as effective in games where teams just play to stop him? He was absolutely superb against QPR, not for the first time, but that was a particularly complete & blemish-free performance. What I really like is how he stands up to the physical side of the game and his tenacity completely offsets his small frame! He absolutely deserves to start on Saturday and set the bar for that position. Really excited for & about him this season. He's earned access to the platform to perform now.
Completely agree. He's always worked hard but fitness seems to be on a different level in the PSFs too. His tracking back covering for Sam Long and allowing him to be more progressive was something i wasn't expecting but which made the whole team more effective. At this rate of development Tyler could conceivably be one of the best ever to come through our youth setup.

As LM has already alluded to, whoever is in the starting line up should have earned it over the last few weeks whoever they are.
I would like to think that he has given them all a chance to feature either in psf’s or behind closed doors.
Injuries and form will likely see opportunities for others going forward too. So far so good. The team looks strong, fit and confident.
Can’t wait to see how we start the league season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom