Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone had signed then it would have made more sense to announce today to help boost attendance against QPR. I'm not sure what would be gained by holding the announcement back for tomorrow.

Doubt a signing is going to boost the gate for a pre season friendly anyway

I think at least part of the 'issue' with Moore is both the fact that he has been around a long time and also, crucially, that he is our captain.

If he is a new 2nd fiddle, he gets a pass for his footballing shortcomings - and if he isn't captain he isn't under the same scrutiny.

There is a propensity for centre-backs to be made captain in English football - especially if they've been around a while. And whilst I quite like Moore, I'm not convinced he is a 'leader'. I mean no disrespect with that. I think he is an integral part of the team and would, if manager, make that clear to him.

Personally I'd make Cam Brannagan captain and let Elliott Moore concentrate purely on defending.

I reckon that, individually, both players would benefit.

As would the wider team.

As has been pointed out by other contributors to this discussion, Moore has been the glue that has enabled his centre back partners to flourish since he signed in 2019. Thus, your latest comment confirms for me that your criticism of him is unjustified and irrational.

As to Yanic, from my perspective he's achieved the square root of nothing since signing. The 'stick' may be unjustifiable, but I'm not surprised by it.
Your twisting this conversation around somewhat - I am suggesting that we’ve had better quality defenders in recent times and I personally don’t particularly rate him, maybe we were spoilt too much beforehand, with previous defenders, lots of mistakes were made defensively last season, not just by him either, anyway we obviously see a different game, clearly others agree with you some with me, hey ho guess that’s what forums are for.

I'd be very surprised if he wanted to go up there. He's a classy guy! I can't really think of any of our players who'd go to Fleetwood.
Very desirable location. Morecambe Bay, the Fylde Riviera and the home of the Fisherman’s Friend. Who doesn’t like to suck one of those?

Your twisting this conversation around somewhat - I am suggesting that we’ve had better quality defenders in recent times and I personally don’t particularly rate him, maybe we were spoilt too much beforehand, with previous defenders, lots of mistakes were made defensively last season, not just by him either, anyway we obviously see a different game, clearly others agree with you some with me, hey ho guess that’s what forums are for.
I don’t think it was twisting the conversation, just adding a bit more nuance. In football it’s a team game and not always about individual players. Having a player like Moore to partner Dickie, McNally or whoever has been beneficial for both the team and the centre backs he lines up alongside.

Each player we have is limited to a degree (which is why they’re in League One), and Moore’s limits were tested last year when he was playing alongside a similar type of defender in Findlay; neither of them could play it out with confidence to start attacks.

However if you get the balance of the team right, then Moore is a strong defender and an important name on the teamsheet.

Speaking of Dan agyei would be happy for him to come back. Was totally undermined by KR and never had a chance to impress

I think at least part of the 'issue' with Moore is both the fact that he has been around a long time and also, crucially, that he is our captain.

If he is a new 2nd fiddle, he gets a pass for his footballing shortcomings - and if he isn't captain he isn't under the same scrutiny.

There is a propensity for centre-backs to be made captain in English football - especially if they've been around a while. And whilst I quite like Moore, I'm not convinced he is a 'leader'. I mean no disrespect with that. I think he is an integral part of the team and would, if manager, make that clear to him.

Personally I'd make Cam Brannagan captain and let Elliott Moore concentrate purely on defending.

I reckon that, individually, both players would benefit.

As would the wider team.
I would have perhaps agreed with this under Robinson, but under Manning I think Moore might improve as a captain.

Manning will want more discipline from his players and I think Moore’s temperament will fit well with that. We’ve already heard Manning talk about the importance of keeping tactical shapes, pressing as a unit, maintaining an emotional balance.

That sounds more like Moore than Brannagan to me.

Speaking of Dan agyei would be happy for him to come back. Was totally undermined by KR and never had a chance to impress
Apart from the 66 times he did play (39 in one season)?

Agyei was ok but nothing more, nothing less. If we want to go up the leagues we need better than Agyei.

It won’t happen anyway as he signed for Orient this summer.

I realise we haven’t kicked a ball yet this season, but as far as I can see, pretty much everything that’s happening at the club right now, shouts out positivity. The transfer window has been a breath of fresh air compared to recent years, so hats off (so far) to everyone, especially Ed Waldron, who has had his unfair share of critics. LM’s update interviews are also very straight forward, clear and insightful, exactly what most fans would like to hear. So we should all be fully aware that big changes are happening.

In light of that, we all need to manage our expectations a little and give people a bit of a break, LM inherited an unbalanced squad of players, that had both physical/other issues, there is only so much he can do in such a short space of time, but so far, looking at the quality he has brought in, what’s not to like?, I for one am very excited about the coming season. I watch pretty much every game and read the forum every day, obviously I’m used to it by now but some of the comments on here are baffling (at times monotonous but also very entertaining)

Looking forward to watching the QPR game later.

Side note: Moore gets a big thumbs up from me. One of our best players in recent years. Trojan.

Apart from the 66 times he did play (39 in one season)?

Agyei was ok but nothing more, nothing less. If we want to go up the leagues we need better than Agyei.

It won’t happen anyway as he signed for Orient this summer.

I liked Agyei but have to agree with you. Some might argue he needed a longer run in the side but in football you have to seize the moment and I think he had plenty of opportunities to make more of an impact than he did. Anyone who gets the winner v Swindon will always be fondly remembered though so fair play to him for that.

I would have perhaps agreed with this under Robinson, but under Manning I think Moore might improve as a captain.

Manning will want more discipline from his players and I think Moore’s temperament will fit well with that. We’ve already heard Manning talk about the importance of keeping tactical shapes, pressing as a unit, maintaining an emotional balance.

That sounds more like Moore than Brannagan to me.
It's the emotional balance part that made me think it wouldn't be Cam. He's a bit prone to spitting his dummy out. I can see it being one of a few, to be fair, perhaps one of the new arrivals like McEachran or Thorniley.

Moore will be better this season and has never had less excuses. The more cohesive and organised structure to the team very evidently improved him at the end of last season and he now has a leader to his side, a leader in front who wants the ball under pressure and what looks like an extremely good goalkeeper. This is in stark contrast to the previous regime where defensively we were always too open in search of walloping everybody 5-0 home and away. He couldn't deal with that type of exposure. By the time Robinson left, the defensive part of the game had been completely neglected anyway so he wasn't the whole problem. He'll be fine, I think he has a good season ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom