Matches Suggestions on Matchday Atmosphere Improvements

I do think the football always plays a role in atmospheres. Even on Curva's in Italy that are non-stop you can see the energy pick up when their team is playing good football. We really didn't have a lot to get excited about last season and a lot of it was spent in-fighting and tearing our hair out of Karl Gobinson.

The purpose of this thread really was to see if we could do something proactive to improve things next season.

Could we try hanging more flags from the North Stand / SSU? Look at the quality of the banners and flags @ljs made, simply fantastic. Could the club allow them to be stored in a section of the North stand/SSU and a few volunteers hang them, or a few people commit to bringing their banners to the odd game?

Would the club even allow the odd banner to be displayed on the fence end rather than soulless adverts?

Could we have designated "bring your scarf" days like Crystal Palace do, held aloft as the teams walk out?

Could these young lads, who may, or may not, currently be annoying people, speak to a few older heads who get them into organising displays, surfers, telescopics and atmosphere rather than this odd "limbs" culture? Instead of demonising them maybe we could try and use their energy and get into something more positive.

The stadium is s***. Absolutely no question. Soulless and in a terrible location. But I do think it would be a shame just to wait until a new stadium comes and let the atmospheres be akin to funerals until the day comes.

I've spoken to some ex-pros (and a couple of current) who do claim the crowd can lift a performance. Also, as a young fan, it was more the culture of the support and hearing the chants and the atmosphere that got me into it (it wasn't the football in the mid 00's!)

If anyone has any ideas perhaps we could look to pass them on and do something to lift it from where it currently is. As some posters have pointed out, we have proved there can be good atmospheres at grenoble Road over the years..

You seem to have made some massive generalisations throughout this thread, not least of all ,'the harsh reality is younger fans don't care about the club as they used to'. What do you have to back that up, other than a gut feeling? On a personal level I have two sons, 18 & 19, who are at different universities in the north but are as passionate as the next supporter - they attend games when at home and visit a lot of northern and midlands based grounds. I have friends and acquaintances in a similar situation.

I would admit that where I sit you're more likely to see a flask and a packet of Werthers' than kids and teenagers but I can see younger people around the ground. When I attend away games I see a lot of young supporters and whilst we've had a shitty couple of seasons, there have still been some good days out.

Overall, our attendance levels have held up pretty well, certainly when you look at historical averages over the years - this can't old people returning to the fold and in this number there has to be a new generation of young fans.

I'd agree that something needs to be done about the atmosphere, which has been funereal at times, but watching a better team and a new ground are hopefully key steps forward. Don't confuse that with a lack of passion.

There's a lot of 'it was better in my day' type posts here, some from people who don't even attend games on a regular basis
I've attended most home and away games for a number of years now so have quite a long period of time and experience to base my opinion on. And yes, most of what people say on topics like this is of course a generalisation - you can't account for the personal motives of every single individual in question, you're just saying what you see as a general rule.

From what I've seen, this 'new generation' of younger fans attending are very different to the young fans when I first started attending regularly, and it certainly isn't for the better.

I think the issue is what used to unify us doesn't anymore.

The harsh reality is younger fans don't care as much about the club as they used to. You or I go to the games and follow the team because we're passionate about the club itself - we love and care about it. Many of them go because it's the nearest club playing at a decent level they can get tickets to and to create so called 'limbs'.

How can you create an environment where both those groups can enjoy the game in the way they want in the same place without compromising eithers experience? Well, you can't - they have to be separated, hence the reason for the existence of these panels.

Harsh reality here taking the meaning "my grumpy old fart opinion is..."

We get it. you hate young people. they don't enjoy things in the way you like and so you presume they don't care about the club. How completely dreadful for you.

So, people respond better to a better atmosphere where their inhibitions are much lower. Maybe we invest, with permission, in a better PA system and some high quality condenser mics that essentially amplify the crowd noise within the stand to the folks sat in it?
If a crowd can really influence performance and results then this should be discussed. It wouldn’t be cheap, but would be much cheaper than a new signing.

We get it. you hate young people. they don't enjoy things in the way you like and so you presume they don't care about the club. How completely dreadful for you.
I'm probably younger than you, to be honest.

And if you think invading women's personal space and jumping on pensioners is 'fun' then I suggest you re-evaluate your behaviour.

The problem with your young people nowadays is the wacky baccy. Between the wacky baccy and their new rap music ("smack my what up"!?) these kids have become animals.

Maybe if we could somehow get these kids into proper music, it would at least be a start. But until then I'm afraid we're on a one way path to yobsville.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need better songs.
Songs with a bloody tune for starters. Songs that are directed at the players to encourage and lift them.

Not shite about making noise everywhere we go, or kicking the doodah out of swindon fans, or an old market trader yelling out yellow submarine for people to repeat in a very slow and dull manner.

A simple repeating chorus of come on you yellows, or we love you oxford or something is better than that toss.

The problem with your young people nowadays is the wacky baccy. Between the wacky baccy and their new rap music ("smack my what up"!?) these kids have become animals.

Maybe if we could somehow get these kids into proper music, it would at least be a start. But until then I'm afraid we're on a one way path to yobsville.

It's bobbies on the beat. How can you expect kids to grow up decent without a bobby on the beat?

Good clip round the ear never did me any harm. Without a good clip round the ear I wouldn't be on the internet whining all day.

Apparently there has been a big rise in people taking Cocaine at football matches, maybe our youth are not taking enough? Maybe the quality isn’t good enough? Think OxVox and the supporters group need to look into this, we don’t want to get left behind.
Pre-season tour of Colombia is needed.

Independiente Medellin v Oxford United.

Apparently there has been a big rise in people taking Cocaine at football matches, maybe our youth are not taking enough? Maybe the quality isn’t good enough?

The quality is a key issue. Street cocaine is often cut with baking soda, soap powder, amphetamines and fentanyl.

The club needs to guarantee a clean supply to it's customers, widely available and free at the point of use - ie toilets in designated pubs for away supporters.

The quality is a key issue. Street cocaine is often cut with baking soda, soap powder, amphetamines and fentanyl.

The club needs to guarantee a clean supply to it's customers, widely available and free at the point of use - ie toilets in designated pubs for away supporters.

Could be a job for Sam Baldock?

I have learnt to speak Spanish from watching Narcos so will volunteer my services as a translator.
Maybe a cartel would be a useful link for the club. As we all know the League Cup was once sponsored by Milk, we could just have "cocaine" written on our shirts.

I'm in my 60s, & I still love a knees up Mother Brown..

Back
Top Bottom