Matches Suggestions on Matchday Atmosphere Improvements

I'm in my 60s, & I still love a knees up Mother Brown..
I'm in my sixties and I still miss the atmosphere and shenanigans in the Greyhound on Gloucester Green before an away match as this was an absolute shoe in for any Oxford away fan. However, as an aside I've been a veggie for nearly 40 years but still remember buying a meat hotdog from a Gloucester Green vendor in a mini pope mobile from a geezer/geezer-rette who resembled 'Joyce'? Am I dreaming this one up or am I'm in heaven?

COYY'S

I'm in my sixties and I still miss the atmosphere and shenanigans in the Greyhound on Gloucester Green before an away match as this was an absolute shoe in for any Oxford away fan. However, as an aside I've been a veggie for nearly 40 years but still remember buying a meat hotdog from a Gloucester Green vendor in a mini pope mobile from a geezer/geezer-rette who resembled 'Joyce'? Am I dreaming this one up or am I'm in heaven?

COYY'S
Yes the greyhound brilliant pub ,the hotdog vans was Foley's, they had one in Gloucester green ,the High street & Cowley Centre. Yes Joyce did work in the hot dog mobile. He reminded me of Dick Emery's character.OOH YOU ARE AWFUL, BUT I LIKE YOU ...

Apparently there has been a big rise in people taking Cocaine at football matches, maybe our youth are not taking enough? Maybe the quality isn’t good enough? Think OxVox and the supporters group need to look into this, we don’t want to get left behind.
And if they’re sniffing it off the toilet seat in the East Stand they’ll need some pretty potent stuff to survive that.

COYY'S
Bloody hell, that brings back some memories mate!

The Greyhound was like the party, before the party, when we went away. Most of us were half pissed before we even got on a coach or train.

Yes, Joyce did work on those weird hotdog vans that were like a popemobile. They were red and white and were a converted Mini or Hillman Imp I think. But it was Fitzi's not Foley's wasn't it?

Funny story about Joyce. He was actually a bit of a hard case, behind all the drag act and overt gayness, and one day I was walking down Queen Street (how apt!!!) and Joyce came strutting down the middle of the road in hot pants, stilletoes, a chiffon scarf and full make up. He was chuntering away to anybody and nobody at the top of his voice, and it appeared he'd been in a fight. Some old dear asked him if he was alright (the old dears loved Joyce) and his reply was "Oh yes, don't worry about me, I scratched his f*****g eyes out!" And then he paused, for dramatic effect, and said "Ooh, but I think I've lost a nail!" It was pure Dick Emery/Kenny Everett camp at its best.

* For those who don't know Joyce was a middle aged camp gay man who was one of the Oxford characters of the 1970s. To give it perspective, they were very different times to today, and in retrospect he was actually way ahead of his time and very brave. I wouldn't have wanted to get in an argument with him, but I also never felt the desire to buy one of his hot dogs either!!!

This talk of cocaine fuelled football fans is just what the nimbys want to hear, best to keep it quiet.

I wonder if Joyce was the transvestite who was refused entry by a morally outranged conductress of the the bus I was on in Oxford City Centre in the late 60's? That memory has always stuck with me. I would have been about 8 or 9. I thought it was a bit strange but could not understand why a man wearing women's clothes would make another person so angry. He was arguing very loudly and I had always assumed he was an Oxford student.

This talk of cocaine fuelled football fans is just what the nimbys want to hear, best to keep it quiet.

Find a pub in Kidlington on a Saturday night that doesn’t look like an episode of Narcos then I will worry.

It’s not football’s fault that the youth of today need cocaine every weekend, more likely the problems caused by groups like FOSB and the damage they have done to the economy.

Thomas John Joyce was a bus conductor in the late 60`s.
He spent his final years in the Cyrenian hostel in Jericho and died of a heart attack on Walton Well Road in August 1994.

More here https://www.bbc.co.uk/oxford/content/articles/2006/08/21/joyce.shtml

A genuine, honest Oxford character alongside the likes of Peanut and others who would probably be called "influencers" these days.

60`s, 70`s & 80`s were a great time to be living in Gods City.

Find a pub in Kidlington on a Saturday night that doesn’t look like an episode of Narcos then I will worry.

It’s not football’s fault that the youth of today need cocaine every weekend, more likely the problems caused by groups like FOSB and the damage they have done to the economy.
London consumes more cocaine than most European cities combined. Most people would be very surprised at the people they know who are bang at it.

For lots of people it can easily get out of control.

London consumes more cocaine than most European cities combined. Most people would be very surprised at the people they know who are bang at it.

For lots of people it can easily get out of control.

Given some of the posts by the residents of Kidlington and Tackley on that next door site I would say London has a rival.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any ideas for how we could improve the home atmosphere for next season? I feel like some of us (including me) have almost given up trying to create a positive atmosphere in the wind tunnel, but is there anything the club/ supporters could do to improve things?

Some very attractive season ticket prices for 16-24s, who are crucial to the atmosphere, could the club create a large "standing tolerated" or unreserved seating area in the East Stand? Could flags be allowed to be stored somewhere in the East Stand?

The days of full stand displays by the ultras may be unachievable now, but if anyone on here has any suggestions it would be interesting to hear.
Surely the Ultras have to be an obvious part of the answer. I remember the day they were teeated shockingly by on lead steward and everything got taken dow, but surely not every single one of those lads stopped going did thet?
Are the banners stored somewhere?

play the banana split song as the teams come out, bring back the manorettes and get fans to rip up yellow pages to throw as the players run out.

COYY'S
Remember The Greyhound 83-85 and I remember 'Joyce' don't remember him selling hot dogs though!

Back
Top Bottom