Matches Suggestions on Matchday Atmosphere Improvements

As I said, Liverpool atmosphere isn't all that anymore but unfortunately that's the same for most 'big' clubs across the world - actual fans being priced out and replaced by tourists!

The passion is there, but not for the right demographic to create an atmosphere. As you say, most of the young lads that 'support' us now are also fans of Prem clubs - give them the choice between watching us or going to watch them and who do you think they chose? They care more about 'limbs' than the club or football match itself. There seems to have been an influx of young girls who have started coming too, which is obviously fine in itself, but my friends daughter who is one of these teenagers who have suddenly started coming has admitted to him she goes for the boys... I mean... really... :cautious:

Think back to some of the brilliant away games, even those of recent times... were you surrounded by groups of disrespectful teenage lads/teenage girls? I certainly wasn't. Away games used to be like a community all going somewhere together, as a unit, for the same purpose - it doesn't feel like that anymore. You and I aren't watching Oxford and going to games for the same reason these lads are.

If you want to create an atmosphere you first and foremost need enough people of the right demographic (we can't expect 70 year olds to be stood up singing all game lol) who care enough to take part. I just don't think we have that.
Are the new group of "lads" really all that bad? I was boycotting games under KR so perhaps I don't have the best insight on it.

I've never been stood near anyone at an Oxford game who isn't a sound and nice person. Unless I've accidentally stood near Big Ron and been unaware of it.

Are the new group of "lads" really all that bad? I was boycotting games under KR so perhaps I don't have the best insight on it.

I've never been stood near anyone at an Oxford game who isn't a sound and nice person. Unless I've accidentally stood near Big Ron and been unaware of it.

New group of lads are nothing different than previous. Maybe you get to a certain age and can't tolerate the youth?

Ive been in some cracking atmospheres at both the manor and Kassam plus away games, which have at times been verified by non OUFC visitors that went with me. We can get noisy alright, but we do need to wake up this coming season. I suppose that will go hand in hand with a team who put a shift in because we were largely woeful last term. Its bonkers that we had an 8500 average crowd. 30 yrs ago, crowds would have been half that!

At the kassam....
Luton at home 2009/2010 - crazy!
Rushden at home play offs - deafening at times.
The Swindon games - brilliant
The giant killings vs Newcastle and Swansea - electric
Wycombe at home to get promotion under MAPP - tension then riots!

A number of cracking ones under KR too...Charlton away, the obvious cup games at home vs Man City and Newcastle, the destruction of West Ham....

We have no problem when the players set the tone, but we do need to find a way of setting the tone for the players on occasions. I suggest stop being wet and take responsibility.

Ive been in some cracking atmospheres at both the manor and Kassam plus away games, which have at times been verified by non OUFC visitors that went with me. We can get noisy alright, but we do need to wake up this coming season. I suppose that will go hand in hand with a team who put a shift in because we were largely woeful last term. Its bonkers that we had an 8500 average crowd. 30 yrs ago, crowds would have been half that!

At the kassam....
Luton at home 2009/2010 - crazy!
Rushden at home play offs - deafening at times.
The Swindon games - brilliant
The giant killings vs Newcastle and Swansea - electric
Wycombe at home to get promotion under MAPP - tension then riots!

A number of cracking ones under KR too...Charlton away, the obvious cup games at home vs Man City and Newcastle, the destruction of West Ham....

We have no problem when the players set the tone, but we do need to find a way of setting the tone for the players on occasions. I suggest stop being wet and take responsibility.
Best Charlton away atmosphere was when KR was their manager , 2-1 down on 88mins and won 3-2, what scenes in the away end that day

Best Charlton away atmosphere was when KR was their manager , 2-1 down on 88mins and won 3-2, what scenes in the away end that day
Charlton Away (3-3 draw) night game, under Jim Smith one of the final games played in Old Division 2 ( now The Championship), in the run in to going up as champions into Old Division 1 ( now PL) was certainly memorable

My experience of them, and people I know who have stood near them, have all said the same - they're rude, disrespectful, and we're not quite sure why they're there. They force their way infront and inbetween other people (including children, women and the elderly in my experience) to get their desired seats to then just stand there looking moody and judgmental. We score and they just throw themselves about - I've seen two of them jump directly onto a man infront of them that must've been in his 70's who was very lucky he wasn't seriously hurt.

I mean... what's the point?

New group of lads are nothing different than previous. Maybe you get to a certain age and can't tolerate the youth?
They're completely different.

I've experienced both and they aren't even comparable.

My experience of them, and people I know who have stood near them, have all said the same - they're rude, disrespectful, and we're not quite sure why they're there. They force their way infront and inbetween other people (including children, women and the elderly in my experience) to get their desired seats to then just stand there looking moody and judgmental. We score and they just throw themselves about - I've seen two of them jump directly onto a man infront of them that must've been in his 70's who was very lucky he wasn't seriously hurt.

Sounds like people people imitating what they’ve seen on the Internet.

Anyway, there’s none of that in the SSL.

We were all young once............ its never "them & us" because we are all there for the same reason.

Unless they are two team w***ers............

Sounds like people people imitating what they’ve seen on the Internet.

Anyway, there’s none of that in the SSL.
I think you're right.

Social media has brought about this ridiculous 'limbs' culture.

Now, unless you elbow the people either side of you in the face, boot a child down the stands and jump onto a pensioners back you're not celebrating properly.

We were all young once............ its never "them & us" because we are all there for the same reason.

Unless they are two team w***ers............
I don't think we are all there for the same reason anymore.

As I've said in a previous reply, give most of these lads the choice between watching us or going to Old Trafford, Anfield, the Emirates etc then who do you think they'll choose? I don't think the passion or love for the club is there like it has been.

At MK Dons away last season I was near that bunch, complete knobheads who seemed to have little interest in either watching football or supporting Oxford.

Bloody kids, they are having fun wrong, should go back to the days of having a swastika flag and singing about the lack of a certain colour in the Union Jack.

Back
Top Bottom