Matches Suggestions on Matchday Atmosphere Improvements

Bloody kids, they are having fun wrong, should go back to the days of having a swastika flag and singing about the lack of a certain colour in the Union Jack.
No one has an issue with them having fun, but when their 'fun' involves being disrespectful and negatively impacts other fans experience of the game then that obviously becomes an issue.

I don't know about you, but forcing their way into the personal space/infront of women and jumping on the elderly hardly seems like something you can put down to people just trying to have 'fun'.

No one has an issue with them having fun, but when their 'fun' involves being disrespectful and negatively impacts other fans experience of the game then that obviously becomes an issue.

I don't know about you, but forcing their way into the personal space/infront of women and jumping on the elderly hardly seems like something you can put down to people just trying to have 'fun'.

Still not particularly worse than what most of us did in our youth, having a bundle was considered part of a goal celebration when I was young.

I think the problem is that grounds have been designed purely for the older fans and families, what was fairly standard on the terraces now causes problems in all seater stadiums. Hopefully our new stadium is able to have an area of standing that will be for those of an age where limbs is appealing, probably the only way we will ever get much of an atmosphere back at our games.

I don't think we are all there for the same reason anymore.

As I've said in a previous reply, give most of these lads the choice between watching us or going to Old Trafford, Anfield, the Emirates etc then who do you think they'll choose? I don't think the passion or love for the club is there like it has been.

That is the outcome of "gentrification".

As a kid most of my OUFC supporting mates "kept an eye on" a big team. They would never choose to watch their other team live over Oxford.

Fast forward a few decades and youngsters are excluded from watching their big team live by price/cost or availability.

The level of passion, expression and levels of acceptability have changed, mostly for the better but not completely.

Now we have organised panels trying to further divide the supporter "experience" rather than focusing on the one thing that unifies us.

I think the problem is that grounds have been designed purely for the older fans and families, what was fairly standard on the terraces now causes problems in all seater stadiums. Hopefully our new stadium is able to have an area of standing that will be for those of an age where limbs is appealing, probably the only way we will ever get much of an atmosphere back at our games.
Spot on. I would hope a young group could push the Ultras style support in a standing area behind the goal at the new stadium. I want to see flags of all sizes being waved for 90 minutes without stewards storming in because someone can't see... It's an area for exactly that, atmosphere. You choose a ticket elsewhere if you want a perfect view of the game.

Dynamo Dresden, play in yellow and in a modern stadium, some of the best fans in Germany, this is what I want our standing section to look one day! Also note the space for banners along the front, not sacrificed for more advertising.

3.Spieltag-dynamo-vs.-verl-14-min.jpg

DSC_0091-min.jpg

Still not particularly worse than what most of us did in our youth, having a bundle was considered part of a goal celebration when I was young.

Maybe we just had different 'youths', then. I certainly don't recall finding enjoyment in intentionally disrespecting and potentially harming women and the elderly.

Standing at games is rarely enforced, so not sure that can be used as an excuse. They could go anywhere, yet they've suddenly turned up the last couple of years and decided they want the seats that ST holders have held for years. A friend of mine and his mate are regularly forced out of their ST seats they've had for nearly 10 years - never had this problem with the 'old ultras'.

The whole idea of 'limbs' is just so forced, and it really counts for nothing if for the rest of the game you stand there in silence.

That is the outcome of "gentrification".

As a kid most of my OUFC supporting mates "kept an eye on" a big team. They would never choose to watch their other team live over Oxford.

Fast forward a few decades and youngsters are excluded from watching their big team live by price/cost or availability.

The level of passion, expression and levels of acceptability have changed, mostly for the better but not completely.

Now we have organised panels trying to further divide the supporter "experience" rather than focusing on the one thing that unifies us.
I think the issue is what used to unify us doesn't anymore.

The harsh reality is younger fans don't care as much about the club as they used to. You or I go to the games and follow the team because we're passionate about the club itself - we love and care about it. Many of them go because it's the nearest club playing at a decent level they can get tickets to and to create so called 'limbs'.

How can you create an environment where both those groups can enjoy the game in the way they want in the same place without compromising eithers experience? Well, you can't - they have to be separated, hence the reason for the existence of these panels.

Spot on. I would hope a young group could push the Ultras style support in a standing area behind the goal at the new stadium. I want to see flags of all sizes being waved for 90 minutes without stewards storming in because someone can't see... It's an area for exactly that, atmosphere. You choose a ticket elsewhere if you want a perfect view of the game.

Dynamo Dresden, play in yellow and in a modern stadium, some of the best fans in Germany, this is what I want our standing section to look one day! Also note the space for banners along the front, not sacrificed for more advertising.

View attachment 13825

View attachment 13826

Definitely something to suggest to the club regarding the flags.

The harsh reality is younger fans don't care as much about the club as they used to. You or I go to the games and follow the team because we're passionate about the club itself - we love and care about it. Many of them go because it's the nearest club playing at a decent level they can get tickets to and to create so called 'limbs'.

How can you create an environment where both those groups can enjoy the game in the way they want in the same place without compromising eithers experience? Well, you can't - they have to be separated, hence the reason for the existence of these panels.
I always saw the East Stand as the stand for strong language, singing, drinking and younger lads.

If I had a problem with what was going on in the East Stand, I would simply move to a different stand where I'm not going to be bothered and can focus on the game.

I always saw the East Stand as the stand for strong language, singing, drinking and younger lads.

If I had a problem with what was going on in the East Stand, I would simply move to a different stand where I'm not going to be bothered and can focus on the game.
Never had a problem with strong language, singing drinking etc that's part of football and one that I (like most) partake in.

What does any of this have to do with the issue of teenagers taking liberties and being disrespectful to those around them, though? You can do all of the above without being a knob to the people next to you and taking ST holders seats - why are people trying to justify such behaviour?

None of the things I've mentioned I experienced with the old ultras.

It was pretty cr*p at the top of the East Stand as the old Ultras group grew. We basically filled that section but I made sure people would shuffle along or move if any ST holders showed up. Most games had 3/4 people stood in front of 1 seat, totally crammed. Despite trying to work on a section with the club for years they just couldn't / wouldn't help us which eventually just limited the Ultras from growing.

I knew at that point it was a now or never moment and I told the club this was the chance to revolutionise the atmosphere at OUFC forever or basically park it where it is until it peters out. They chose the latter and didn't want to take the gamble on contacting ST holders in any section of the ground to accommodate a section. We then tried it ourselves on the right side of the East Stand for a bit but it was a dreadful area.

There's a chance to get it right at the new ground, in my opinion the club HAVE to commit to an unreserved section behind the goal, which will hopefully be safe standing too. The unreserved seating is so important, they need to sell season tickets for the stand / section behind the goal without seat numbers. When they find out it involves capacity being reduced by 10% they may side with money over atmosphere, which would be a shame.

You seem to have made some massive generalisations throughout this thread, not least of all ,'the harsh reality is younger fans don't care about the club as they used to'. What do you have to back that up, other than a gut feeling? On a personal level I have two sons, 18 & 19, who are at different universities in the north but are as passionate as the next supporter - they attend games when at home and visit a lot of northern and midlands based grounds. I have friends and acquaintances in a similar situation.

I would admit that where I sit you're more likely to see a flask and a packet of Werthers' than kids and teenagers but I can see younger people around the ground. When I attend away games I see a lot of young supporters and whilst we've had a shitty couple of seasons, there have still been some good days out.

Overall, our attendance levels have held up pretty well, certainly when you look at historical averages over the years - this can't old people returning to the fold and in this number there has to be a new generation of young fans.

I'd agree that something needs to be done about the atmosphere, which has been funereal at times, but watching a better team and a new ground are hopefully key steps forward. Don't confuse that with a lack of passion.

There's a lot of 'it was better in my day' type posts here, some from people who don't even attend games on a regular basis.

I think bearing in mind how soulless our ground is, we have actually done well at times to generate some of the atmospheres we've seen. Our new ground should go a long way to solving some of the most obvious issues (a gaping f*cking hole at one end)

There's a lot of 'it was better in my day' type posts here, some from people who don't even attend games on a regular basis.

Feel sorry for the younger generation following Oxford……they will never have that feeling I got when walking up to the London Road end. Standing with my pals in a packed stand, that surge forward when we scored…..great days.

There`s one. :)

The game has changed over the many decades I`ve been going, but you still hold that hope, that passion, that desire.

Sadly affairs on/off the pitch seem to burst the bubble far too quickly!

Feel sorry for the younger generation following Oxford……they will never have that feeling I got when walking up to the London Road end. Standing with my pals in a packed stand, that surge forward when we scored…..great days.
And avoiding streams of pi….

Back
Top Bottom