Fan's View Songs

Quite sad we've lost the Ultras and most don't attend now even as non Ultras. Stadium is hopeless for acoustics. Roof too high. And pitch too far from the East Stand. Surely we could rectify that in the few seasons we have left at our current rented home.

The stadium certainly doesn't help, but the biggest issue we have is that the vast majority of the fan base just don't seem to want to sing. Although it's generally better away from home, we never create noise like the a lot of teams do when they come to the Kassam.

Perhaps we just have an older fan base? The conference years definitely seem to have resulted in a bit of a 'lost generation'. There's not many groups of 20-something lads that attend home matches in big groups.

I agree it may be best to keep it simple, stupid. Come On You Yellows. Build a Bombfire. Swindon Town Is Falling Down. etc etc.

We also need to bring back some of the 'catchier' songs for players as well.

Just can't seem to get enough of...do do do... Gavin Whyte?

Sykes, Sykes will tear you apart again

There's only one Herbie Kane etc...Walking in a Herbie wonderland

Ryan Williams baby, Ryan Williams Ohhh

Oh Billy Bodin, you are the love of my life

To the tune of: Everybody Wants To Rule The World

His name's Gavin Whyte,
He plays in attack,
Makes defenders weep,
Oxford's winger,
Scoring goals and making assists,
Takes his kit off when he gets pissed,
Gavin Whyte is going to rule the world.

To the tune of: Nobody Does it Better

Nobody does it better,
Makes me feel sad for the rest,
Nobody does it half as good as you,
Herbie you're the best!

To the tune of: I'm On Fire (Springsteen)

Hey there (opposition) should have stayed at home,
Mark Sykes will beat you on his own,
Woah Woah, he's gonna take us higher,
Oooh ooooooh Sykes is on fire!

Quite sad we've lost the Ultras and most don't attend now even as non Ultras. Stadium is hopeless for acoustics. Roof too high. And pitch too far from the East Stand. Surely we could rectify that in the few seasons we have left at our current rented home.
So as I asked on the other thread but no one has replied, why don't the ultras support the club as fans anymore. This is my 61st year supporting the club, im still attending

So as I asked on the other thread but no one has replied, why don't the ultras support the club as fans anymore. This is my 61st year supporting the club, im still attending

Aside from the way some of them were treated by the club’s previous regime, many of them are probably doing other things with their lives, I’m sure.

I was a season ticket holder up the age of eighteen, then went to Uni and didn’t start watching us again for another ten years.

I lost interest, wanted to do other things and frankly didn’t have the money or interest in watching Oxford every other week.

I got the bug back when I was nearing my thirties and have had a season ticket every year since then.

I don’t think that makes me any less of a fan - my life just changed.

I also don’t think we should browbeat any of the Ultras or make them feel like they are less of a fan - particularly after all of the brilliant noise and colour they brought to the club during some of our less entertaining years on the pitch.

Many of them will probably be back again in the years to come I imagine, but might be less inclined if they feel other fans are judging them for living their lives how they wish.

We’re all fans, no matter how often we’re in the stadium.

Congratulations fella. I replied earlier on in the thread, feel free to take a look. Everyone still supports the club, but believe it or not, in your 20's there's a hell of a lot of things going on in your life that means that a lot of us aren't available in the same capacity.

Also, I assume when you were younger, the owners of the club never actively tried to push you out of the club, paint you in a negative light, and eventually leave because of you, just because you wanted to support the club in a particular way.

I used to start songs a lot. Sometimes I’d have to sing on my own for a while until people got pissed off and joined in out of fatigue with my persistence.

People need to drink more beer, be less embarrassed, be more emphatic about singing, and start taking accountability.

It’s pretty ridiculous that so many grown men can’t work out how to create an atmosphere. And for the love of god start standing more . The stigma around standing is gone and safe standing us coming back. Watching west ham v Seville they were standing through the entire stadium for most of the game.

You all need to get your s**t together

Our support recently has been very quiet. The only time we sing is to tell Swindon where to go.

I had free tickets to a Coventry City game last week. Non stop singing, songs about their players and a good atmosphere.

I'm not moaning, just want to try and understand why we don't really sing and have songs.
Regardless of which club, fans at home can become entitled.

I used to start songs a lot. Sometimes I’d have to sing on my own for a while until people got pissed off and joined in out of fatigue with my persistence.

People need to drink more beer, be less embarrassed, be more emphatic about singing, and start taking accountability.

It’s pretty ridiculous that so many grown men can’t work out how to create an atmosphere. And for the love of god start standing more . The stigma around standing is gone and safe standing us coming back. Watching west ham v Seville they were standing through the entire stadium for most of the game.

Expatriate old fart alert. 😉

1:1 Volodymir Zelensky:Norman Tebbit.

Clist reminds me of David Smith from the 90s. Did a very effective job, but I can’t recall a single specific thing he ever did on my mind!

You forgot this beauty?

Or the pass for the 1st goal:

A classy midfielder who glued the team together is what I remember.

You forgot this beauty?

Or the pass for the 1st goal:

A classy midfielder who glued the team together is what I remember.

I had indeed!

Always rated him, just couldn’t recall anything specific.

That possibly says more about the state of my brain than the quality of our players however!

I had indeed!

Always rated him, just couldn’t recall anything specific.

That possibly says more about the state of my brain than the quality of our players however!

He was even the first up the Wembley steps, an organiser's dream. :)

He was even the first up the Wembley steps, an organiser's dream. :)

I even have my own photographic evidence of this fact!

ae0b95558c4cbff87a09228bd4a57b8e.jpg

Aside from the way some of them were treated by the club’s previous regime, many of them are probably doing other things with their lives, I’m sure.

I was a season ticket holder up the age of eighteen, then went to Uni and didn’t start watching us again for another ten years.

I lost interest, wanted to do other things and frankly didn’t have the money or interest in watching Oxford every other week.

I got the bug back when I was nearing my thirties and have had a season ticket every year since then.

I don’t think that makes me any less of a fan - my life just changed.

I also don’t think we should browbeat any of the Ultras or make them feel like they are less of a fan - particularly after all of the brilliant noise and colour they brought to the club during some of our less entertaining years on the pitch.

Many of them will probably be back again in the years to come I imagine, but might be less inclined if they feel other fans are judging them for living their lives how they wish.

We’re all fans, no matter how often we’re in the stadium.

I'm sure this is a pretty common cycle - you start going when you're at school with your mates; then life happens and football stops becoming the top priority for a while; but then you get older and a bit more settled, you hopefully have a bit more money and going every week becomes an option again.

So for me, the question is not "What happened to the Ultras", because I completely get that they're probably at a different point in their lives now.
I still have a ton of respect for them because they were creating atmosphere at an all-seater with terrible acoustics watching crap football - it was so much easier for those of us that grew up at the Manor.

The question is "Where is the next generation"?
Is there a reason why OUFC has not been able to attract the current generation of Oxfordshire teens? Or are they there, but they just prefer to sit and watch the game quietly like the old gits in the SSU (not judging! If I hadn't moved to the US, I'd be a quiet old git in the SSU myself!)? Is it just that Generation Z are rubbish and would rather be influencing somebody on social media than singing their hearts out at an Oxford game??😈

Back
Top Bottom