Fan's View Songs

trickyricky

Our support recently has been very quiet. The only time we sing is to tell Swindon where to go.

I had free tickets to a Coventry City game last week. Non stop singing, songs about their players and a good atmosphere.

I'm not moaning, just want to try and understand why we don't really sing and have songs.

Our support recently has been very quiet. The only time we sing is to tell Swindon where to go.

I had free tickets to a Coventry City game last week. Non stop singing, songs about their players and a good atmosphere.

I'm not moaning, just want to try and understand why we don't really sing and have songs.

Well, you know how you could help rectify, don’t you?

Start some songs up in the second half and I’m sure lots of us will join in [emoji1303]

As Kinni said a while ago, if we want players to stay we do need to start singing their names - Mark Sykes etc.

We’ve got Super Matt, we’ve kind of got a Cam Bran and a Luke McNally one but we need everyone to know them and ideally, have some more songs

There were two of us from the old ultras there yesterday. There used to be 30/40 a game.

For the first 25 minutes we started every song. Between the two of us.

If other people bothered to start a song, and of course join in, it wouldn’t be an issue. Makes you think eh.
Do the others still go but just in different areas?

To be honest , away games are far better . Shrewsbury was non stop singing about players and all . And was a great atmosphere all game .

We have very few songs apart from yellows yellows yellows, most of the others are generic and can be heard elsewhere.

If you stopped most U's fans on the way to a game and asked them their favourite OUFC song, I doubt many could answer..

To be honest , away games are far better . Shrewsbury was non stop singing about players and all . And was a great atmosphere all game .
I think that’s probably the case with most club’s away crowds. The concentration of fans in a small area definitely helps. Also, as alluded to in a previous post, the Kassam is certainly no amphitheatre.

If we want everyone singing then keep it simple. "Yellows, yellows" might not win awards for song writing but it allows people to join in.

Same with ones like "left side/right side London Road" "Karl Robinsons Yellow Army" "Greatest team the world has ever seen" "EIEIO" etc. They are simple and repetitive but that allows others to join in and be part of the singing.

Some of the songs about players are great, but they can take a while for others to get, especially with the acoustics being so crap in the stadium. I'm getting to the age now where unless someone sings right next to be I can't hear a bloody word, its just noise!!! And even then, I've forgotten it 5 minutes later!!!!

We can do more to improve the atmosphere, but keeping things simple and building up is better than expecting to recreate an away terrace overnight.

As Kinni said a while ago, if we want players to stay we do need to start singing their names - Mark Sykes etc.

We’ve got Super Matt, we’ve kind of got a Cam Bran and a Luke McNally one but we need everyone to know them and ideally, have some more songs
Well there is 🎶 walking along, singing this song walking in a Winnall wonderland 🎶
Then there is 🎶 super super Sam, super super Sam, super super Sam, Super Sammy Winnall 🎶 no? Ah ok I will get my coat

Mixture of people that now work/have lost interest/ill/sit elsewhere, in general I’d say across the whole ground there were 7/8 of the old 30/40 there Saturday.
I miss the heydey of the ultras. Was never part of it as I'm from London but always used to be near you guys when I went with my London-team-supporting mates and they were always surprised by our noise and colour.

Revive the Billy Turly classic (no not that one - the one to the chorus of "I love you baby") for Luke McNally?

Having ventured into the gods of the SSU it is very, very noticeable that the "volume" of the away support is "caught" by the fact that it hits an opposing stand, unlike the East who, try as they might, are casting their voice into an empty space.

As a short term fix can we just build a really, really tall fence, the same height as the stands, and fill the corners in a bit? :)

If we want everyone singing then keep it simple. "Yellows, yellows" might not win awards for song writing but it allows people to join in.

Same with ones like "left side/right side London Road" "Karl Robinsons Yellow Army" "Greatest team the world has ever seen" "EIEIO" etc. They are simple and repetitive but that allows others to join in and be part of the singing.

Some of the songs about players are great, but they can take a while for others to get, especially with the acoustics being so crap in the stadium. I'm getting to the age now where unless someone sings right next to be I can't hear a bloody word, its just noise!!! And even then, I've forgotten it 5 minutes later!!!!

We can do more to improve the atmosphere, but keeping things simple and building up is better than expecting to recreate an away terrace overnight.
exactly that ..... the easier to remember, the simpler the 'lyrics' , the more inclusive it is ... therefore it follows the more people (voices) join in

....... Sykes , (or Whyte*), will tear you apart, again' ain't original , ....but gives another player song

* for Whyte, a song referencing windmills perhaps?

maybe revive old London Road end faves that are easy to remember ?

Such as ....

When You're Smiling

Those Were the days

perhaps ...

You are my sunshine/ Oxford

without being stood on a terrace, , reviving Knees up mother Brown might not be too clever !

Back
Top Bottom