General Simon Eastwood wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, I think he probably has to relocate to be near his family. Quite understandable that he wants to spend his downtime with them. Will be sorry to see him go but he's done a great job while he's been here and has always put the club first.

Some people are becoming hypercritical about Eastwood. He hasn't been consistently at the top of his game, but he is still making match-salvaging saves and a slightly below par Simon Eastwood is better than most other L1 keepers. I hope he stays.
I'm not sure anybody is being hypocritical.
He set high standards and at times is not at those thus season.
The first goal at Accrington was very poor and even on Tuesdays highlights he looked nowhere near his best.
If the travelling is a reason. this is clearly a concern for the manager and club

I don't think it's unfair to say that Simon Eastwood has not been at his best, but it's difficult to attribute this entirely to being away from his family. He has always been a better shot stopper than one who commands his area, but his mobility has dropped a little over the last 12 months. He seems to struggle to get to the bottom corners and seems a little slower coming off his line. This could be down to him getting a little older and slower, a lack of confidence or just a natural dip in form. This was the same during the second half of last season when he was still relaxing on his sofa with Mrs Eastwood! But he still remains a very good keeper for our level and still produces more game saving performances than screwing up. I think he would have benefitted from a day off last night and having a few days back with his kids. He's a professional and knows that he has a job to do, but on this mental health day it can't be underestimated how important a little time out can be. I believe he is out of contract in the summer and I would guess that he'll look to move closer to home so I have no doubt that we're looking at replacements. But I would like to think that we will all support Simon in giving his all if this is his last year. That includes us giving him a break if he makes a couple of very rare mistakes. I'd like to think that we can show him how much we really value him on Saturday.

#England, England, number 1!
#ooooohhhh, you're God aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!

I don't think it's unfair to say that Simon Eastwood has not been at his best, but it's difficult to attribute this entirely to being away from his family. He has always been a better shot stopper than one who commands his area, but his mobility has dropped a little over the last 12 months. He seems to struggle to get to the bottom corners and seems a little slower coming off his line. This could be down to him getting a little older and slower, a lack of confidence or just a natural dip in form. This was the same during the second half of last season when he was still relaxing on his sofa with Mrs Eastwood! But he still remains a very good keeper for our level and still produces more game saving performances than screwing up. I think he would have benefitted from a day off last night and having a few days back with his kids. He's a professional and knows that he has a job to do, but on this mental health day it can't be underestimated how important a little time out can be. I believe he is out of contract in the summer and I would guess that he'll look to move closer to home so I have no doubt that we're looking at replacements. But I would like to think that we will all support Simon in giving his all if this is his last year. That includes us giving him a break if he makes a couple of very rare mistakes. I'd like to think that we can show him how much we really value him on Saturday.

#England, England, number 1!
#ooooohhhh, you're God aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!

He actually signed a new 3 year contract last summer. So if he does go, we should certainly get something for him.

He actually signed a new 3 year contract last summer. So if he does go, we should certainly get something for him.
I thought it was a 2 year deal with an extra year option, but looks like you're right. However, I'd still be surprised if he stays another year.

For the record, I didn't say anyone was being 'hypocritical' (self-righteous, sanctimonious etc) I said 'hypercritical' (excessively critical).
A tip of the bonnet to the Oxford United English Dictionary.....

Agreed.

5 clean sheets so far this season, and to my mind, Easty is still worth at least a goal saved a game..., his return from injury last season was key in our recovery. I think it's a case of what we are used to. I worry that we'll realise how good he is when he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom