Ex Player Ryan Williams

Not the end of the world, but I'm a little surprised that a few are dismissing him quite so easily.

For me, he was one of the big plusses from last season.
The very definition of a good squad player (although that in itself can sound derogatory), able to cover multiple positions, always full of energy, reliable and dependable - but still with quality (as opposed to what some seem to think is a squad player - a below-par performer who occasionally does something good when they feel like it, flits in and out of games and can't be relied upon for consistency).

Not gutted, but surprised and a little disappointed.

World Cup on the horizon perhaps, good luck to him , going back home at this time in his career makes sense, perhaps he can do a bit of scouting for us

More money in the pot for reinforcements.

I don’t see Williams as a huge loss. He didn’t do enough to cement a first Xl spot throughout last season. That said, his versatility was useful.

Better players are available.
Not sure I agree with this, he looked like one of our better players even when he was played out of position. He was signed as a right winger but Karl barely played him there, instead he had as many games at left wing back.

I reckon he was signed before we knew Whyte was available, and was sidelined as a result. Shame because he's a solid player and we could've used him to good effect this season.

Not sure I agree with this, he looked like one of our better players even when he was played out of position. He was signed as a right winger but Karl barely played him there, instead he had as many games at left wing back.

I reckon he was signed before we knew Whyte was available, and was sidelined as a result. Shame because he's a solid player and we could've used him to good effect this season.

Would you have played him in front of Whyte, Sykes, Bodin etc?

He was a victim of Seddon's catastrophic drop off in form and as result was played out of position on a few occasions but i'm not convinced he is quite to the level of a player that will see us get out of League 1.

Can't blame him at all, must have been even tougher for him over COVID times with family in Australia of all places. Credit to him for giving his all whenever he played.

Wouldn't imagine this move came out of the blue, so hopefully we have some replacements lined up.

He’s not irreplaceable but is still a loss, quick, athletic, physical and had some some aggression to him, versatile and a good attitude he added a lot to the squad. Hopefully we sign some players with the above qualities not just floaty wingers who have moments to replace him.
The next month or two and the 6 players we bring in are really going to define the season now.

Sad to see him go as i loved his attitude, the one issue i had with him as a player was that his final ball was just too
inconsistent, good squad player but not the end of the world he has left.

This is a loss, no doubt about it and I'm surprised at some of the underwhelming comments about him. There's a stack of players I'd rather see go before him and two - Long and Forde - vie for the same position as him. Seems like a very good pro and a more than decent footballer. Had a tenacity and aggressiveness about him and could up the tempo of a performance if the team were dwindling a little bit - similar to Alex Macdonald. Yes, he had indifferent performances here and there but show me a L1 player who doesn't.

A big loss to the squad if not quite so much to the starting eleven.

Fair play to him for following his heart and playing for his hometown club whilst he still has a few good years left in him. It's like he first joined us as a boy, and left as a man.

The hardest thing about Ryan Williams for me is …
Ryan’s from Perth and both his brothers are back in Oz.
I know one of the Perth Glory scouts quite well, and you have no idea how hard it is not to tell him to keep an eye on Willo because he’s playing well.
Hmm. Sorry lads I may have been at fault here.

Having seen the state of the A league final, and also glory’s performances this season, he is just what they need. A bit of urgency - he’ll rip em all a new one.

Good luck Ryan. Thank you for the committed performances and I hope your move to Perth is a success.

Back
Top Bottom