Manager/Coach Robinson. Stay or go?

Should Robinson stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Should of asked Pep Guardiola on management skills. I’m sure he’d tell him you need to be flexible, and change formations and tactics accordingly.

I can’t remember who to quote it but someone said atleast Robinson is open to trying new things in training etc, which he deserves credit for.

The issue is his complete reluctance to try anything different on a match day......

Should of asked Pep Guardiola on management skills. I’m sure he’d tell him you need to be flexible, and change formations and tactics accordingly.
Er I am not sure that Pep is the most flexible of managers. He has his way of playing and in his view it is the right way to play.

You can't argue with what he has done and he is a great. But flexible with changing formations? I am not sure about that.

Surely we need to sigh some before he can work with them ?
We can't get a new striker in before January (except for OOC players).

So why not try things? Would you simply wait until January based on where we are now?

The warning signs were there from the beginning of the summer with Robinson. I've never witnessed a manager being so vocal in the press about potential transfer targets, which struck me as rather curious - at best passionate, at worst extremely foolish.

After having the tight-lipped, calculated Appleton as our manager for a number of years, I felt perhaps I should give Robinson the benefit of the doubt for his huge mouth, but I feel as though it is one of the many things costing us on the pitch. With results going against us, his motormouth doesn't help his image to us Oxford fans. It makes him look extremely amateurish to the fans, so I have no idea how the players see him.

Also, the idea that Nicky Maynard would have been the answer makes me feel like he was happy with our strikers at the end of the transfer window, but as soon as results went against us he began to scramble around looking for literally anyone to sign.

I've never really been one to actively want a manager to leave, but I feel as though he's currently thrashing about in the water whilst everyone watches on knowing he can't swim.

No harm in bringing in Wright to work with the players on finishing, it’s not likely to turn Obika into a goal machine but it’s not going to upset his rhythm either is it.

Can’t knock him for bringing in a shrink either, It’s Robinson’s job on the line in the (maximum) next three games so he is entitled to do what he can to keep his job.

Shame he is not willing to show the same innovation tactically and with formations, that and the decision to start the season with Obika/Smith/Mackie as the options up top will probably cost him his job and us our place in this division but I don’t think it’s a bad thing that he at least try’s something to stop the above.

It’s a massive evening for Robinson tomorrow. There should be a decent crowd in, a win and the pressure eases, at least for a while. A defeat and it all ratchets up another notch or two, maybe to breaking point.

Having said all that, every Oxford fan should put the KR sideshow to one side and support the team for this important game. The bigger picture of league 1 survival in the big scheme of things is far more important. Everything else will take care of itself one way or another. COYYs!!

He might have said "you need to sign the best players in the league, preferably enough to field 3 teams."

Credit when due. It's a good move by KR to bring in Ian Wright for a day - or two.

He's trying things and open to new ideas in training.

No suggestion anywhere that Wright is doing anything other than coming to banter with Robinson

It seems to be more of "dont you know who im mates with" rather than a training session. Could be wrong though.

This sounds like a criticism but Ive got nothing against it personally, I'd give voodoo a try at this point we are desperate.

The most interesting thing in the above...KR hinting he would bring in Robbie Fowler for a session or two. Where was this hinted?
Isnt Robbie Fowler still trying to land a manager gig somewhere?

No suggestion anywhere that Wright is doing anything other than coming to banter with Robinson

It seems to be more of "dont you know who im mates with" rather than a training session. Could be wrong though.

This sounds like a criticism but Ive got nothing against it personally, I'd give voodoo a try at this point we are desperate.

Deflection tactics for the press to take the heat away from him and the team which fair, he is up against now!
Just hope the lads keep a clean sheet and put a few past Luton or the guillotine will start to be raised....

NB : I hope KR keeps his head and doesn't throw Carruthers in to early and then goes on and screws himself up again..

The warning signs were there from the beginning of the summer with Robinson. I've never witnessed a manager being so vocal in the press about potential transfer targets, which struck me as rather curious - at best passionate, at worst extremely foolish.

After having the tight-lipped, calculated Appleton as our manager for a number of years, I felt perhaps I should give Robinson the benefit of the doubt for his huge mouth, but I feel as though it is one of the many things costing us on the pitch. With results going against us, his motormouth doesn't help his image to us Oxford fans. It makes him look extremely amateurish to the fans, so I have no idea how the players see him.

Also, the idea that Nicky Maynard would have been the answer makes me feel like he was happy with our strikers at the end of the transfer window, but as soon as results went against us he began to scramble around looking for literally anyone to sign.

I've never really been one to actively want a manager to leave, but I feel as though he's currently thrashing about in the water whilst everyone watches on knowing he can't swim.

Also somewhat embarrassing/foolhardy when you see where some of the names (that we know of) he bandied about ended up:

- Mulumbu > Celtic
- Hoolahan > West Brom
- Karacan > Millwall

None of which are playing much mind, but shows the degree of time/potential wage that was willing to be thrown around.

Meanwhile we let Doughty go, who has pulled up trees for Swindon so far this season.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Also somewhat embarrassing/foolhardy when you see where some of the names (that we know of) he bandied about ended up:

- Mulumbu > Celtic
- Hoolahan > West Brom
- Karacan > Millwall

None of which are playing much mind, but shows the degree of time/potential wage that was willing to be thrown around.

Meanwhile we let Doughty go, who has pulled up trees for Swindon so far this season.

Excellent point. I just feel as though he doesn't quite have the minerals at this stage of his managerial career to succeed. Hate to bring age into it, but you can tell he's a young manager from his reactivity in public.

Excellent point. I just feel as though he doesn't quite have the minerals at this stage of his managerial career to succeed. Hate to bring age into it, but you can tell he's a young manager from his reactivity in public.

I think the reason many fans are now fed up is the league position (obviously) combined with KR's general attitude.

With MAPP, who had a similarly tough start, there was always the impression he was tinkering and working behind the scenes to improve. His willingness to adapt and apply new strategies was an indication of his modesty and 'apprenticeship' view with which he held the post.

It's concerning that KR, on the other hand, is unwilling to adapt at all. Rather than trying new strategies he resolutely stick to plan A, because it was his plan and so must be the best. As a result he's backed into a corner, and we've heard a myriad of excuses:

- The players hate playing at the Kassam, it doesn't feel like home.
- We've missed out on big signings (recent indications that Tiger isn't backing him re Maynard)
- "“I think if you spoke to any of these players they would tell you they’re coached better than anyone in the league."
- "“If I walked away tonight and someone walked in tomorrow morning, what more would they do?"
- "“You’re in a predicament where everything’s right and you just don’t take your opportunities when they come along. "
- "“If people want to make that decision [to sack him] that’s their choice. Unless they can go and get Houdini in, maybe he might help.”
- "“How many times on a Saturday morning can I find out a player is not right, or not well?"
- “You’re just looking for something to fall in your favour – right now nothing’s falling for anybody."

Can you imagine MAPP saying any of the above?! How's this for an idea - change the shape, change the tempo we play, rotate players on the pitch, have a Plan B! Don't depend on untried or over-the-hill players. Don't play someone if they're injured/unfit (let's hope Carruthers isn't an example), don't sign (or re-sign) injury prone players. I also remain sceptical about the intensity of the pre-season schedule.

A manager who is both stubborn and inept is a dangerous combination.

I can’t remember who to quote it but someone said atleast Robinson is open to trying new things in training etc, which he deserves credit for.

The issue is his complete reluctance to try anything different on a match day......

And it’s for that reason that I haven’t totally slipped into the ‘Robinson out’ camp. He’s making it hard work but there are flashes and moments that show he understands coaching and management unlike some of the total no-hopers we’ve had in the past.

The management of Shandon Baptiste, blooding youngsters in the EFL Trophy (giving Spasov the penalty was extraordinary – no one has ever done that here), bringing in Gavin Whyte, an emotive passion to what he’s trying to achieve and he certainly cares, trying to play football in a free-flowing way – there is a method to our approach and you can’t deny we’re ever a long ball side under him. There are positives with his management.

However, and I made the point in another thread, I have a feeling that with 424 games under his belt, that the lustre of his early management days is starting to wear off. He was good at MK Dons, average at Charlton and is now in decline at Oxford. What worked elsewhere does not appear to work here and is looking old hat in the same way that certain players you’d expect to succeed end up having a stinker at a new club (Fernando Torres being awesome at Liverpool and then struggling at Chelsea for example).

I sense his own frustration at his ideas not working but I fear he lacks the flexibility to change it. Appleton was largely the same but he had the good fortune to have a chairman bail him out with his – ahem – fortune. Players who didn’t fit were paid off, including some of MApp’s own poor choices, and promotion contenders were recruited. A lot of this mess is KR’s own making which makes me think that Tiger et al aren’t going to be as sympathetic. Plus, will Tiger go the same route as Eales did in the past and back his beleaguered manager with the funds to fire and hire? The summer should have seen more of a clear out and better recruitment but we can't change that now.

I’m not sure and that leaves KR and more importantly us in a very, very sticky situation.

Back
Top Bottom