Transfer News Post transfer window

On another note, it does certainly sound like (as I thought) talk of huge bids for strikers etc was a myth given that a freebie is going to put us over budget. Something significantly changed in the last couple of weeks of the window that turned the tap off, and we should all be concerned by what that was.
Incorrect. We made two large bids for strikers and were still trying to sign several very good players on loan who wouldn’t have been cheap right up until the window closed. We spent six figures on Anderson and pissed a bunch of money up the wall getting him to Lazio and back to sort the permit issue, and he’s on very good wages, so nobody turned any taps off. If anything we were clumsy with what we had.

There is nothing in that quote that says we have no cash - he outright says we can sign free agents if we want. He merely says he doesn’t want to waste any money, and that will be because whatever is spent on a temporary patch-up now will impact what can be spent in January.

Money is not and has never been an issue.

Incorrect. We made two large bids for strikers and were still trying to sign several very good players on loan who wouldn’t have been cheap right up until the window closed. We spent six figures on Anderson and pissed a bunch of money up the wall getting him to Lazio and back to sort the permit issue, and he’s on very good wages, so nobody turned any taps off. If anything we were clumsy with what we had.

There is nothing in that quote that says we have no cash - he outright says we can sign free agents if we want. He merely says he doesn’t want to waste any money, and that will be because whatever is spent on a temporary patch-up now will impact what can be spent in January.

Ok, but Robinson does specifically say that bringing someone in will mean overspending the budget… maybe, as others have said, it’s best not to try and over analyse what he says in quotes in the OM 😁

Ok, but Robinson does specifically say that bringing someone in will mean overspending the budget… maybe, as others have said, it’s best not to try and over analyse what he says in quotes in the OM 😁
I can “overspend” on something in my own life that doesn’t mean my bank account is empty as a result. They aren’t the same thing. If he was talking about overspending to the point that the well was dry then there wouldn’t be anything to talk about.

There is and has always been money, and it’s still there now.

I just hope Anderson will be worth the wait and the money spent. This has always seemed a very high risk, high cost and strange deal to me. We had 4 months to get a decent League One ready to go full back/wing back over the line, but somehow got this done last minute with the risk/cost seemingly way out of proportion to what we might have had.

I still don’t get this one and think there was more to it, but I don’t know what?

I’m just hoping he’ll prove worth the risk, wait and cost. Given delays with visa and fitness, it’s actually costing us more and more with every game that he’s not ready to start. As I say, I just hope he’s very good and a cut above what we could otherwise have got for a similar or much lower outlay!

It feels like Robbo always needs to be "creative". And it's always a bloody mess. Maybe next window we could go for a "not creative" approach and see if it works out any better?

On another note, it does certainly sound like (as I thought) talk of huge bids for strikers etc was a myth given that a freebie is going to put us over budget. Something significantly changed in the last couple of weeks of the window that turned the tap off, and we should all be concerned by what that was.
As well as going for a non-creative approach, perhaps we could aim for a 'passive' window too? (as opposed to 'aggressive')

I just hope Anderson will be worth the wait and the money spent. This has always seemed a very high risk, high cost and strange deal to me. We had 4 months to get a decent League One ready to go full back/wing back over the line, but somehow got this done last minute with the risk/cost seemingly way out of proportion to what we might have had.

I still don’t get this one and think there was more to it, but I don’t know what?

I’m just hoping he’ll prove worth the risk, wait and cost. Given delays with visa and fitness, it’s actually costing us more and more with every game that he’s not ready to start. As I say, I just hope he’s very good and a cut above what we could otherwise have got for a similar or much lower outlay!
“I still don’t get this one and think there was more to it, but I don’t know what?”

This is one example of what’s wrong with this forum and social media.

People admit they don’t know what’s going on then think that gives them license to say “I think there’s more to it” as if some intuition or deep foreboding means anything at all.

It doesn’t.

Rather than a "We don't have any money left" statement, it's probably a bit of an expectation manager to those who look after any players we might consider - more of a "We're not paying that much, you'll have to drop your demands and then we'll talk".

Karl loves his mind games ...

I would have thought that match ready free agents are rare. I suppose that there is potential value in bringing in such a player or players, but it seems unlikely to me that they would have an immediate impact, more likely that they would help to provide backup in areas where we are short of numbers. It would be nice to be proved wrong, though!

“I still don’t get this one and think there was more to it, but I don’t know what?”

People admit they don’t know what’s going on then think that gives them license to say “I think there’s more to it” as if some intuition or deep foreboding means anything at all.

It doesn’t.
This forum is an open discussion, fans can express how they feel. That isn't "what's wrong with this forum", that IS a forum.

It doesn’t.
I think in terms of being 'more to it', in some cases it can be red tape-related like work permits, fitness and the player finding a residence. Things like this can take longer behind the scenes especially out of pre-season and when a player is bound to working restrictions.

Then you have the other 'more to it' angle with players like Jodie Jones where he spent two months with us, was awarded a contract and then two days later Robinson decided he wasn't in his plans. Unanswered questions and speculation is rife in this instance and people have a right to query.

As long as it doesn't devolve into nonsensical speculation that can spread and bring the club into disrepute in some way, I can live with the drama.

It doesn’t.
Maybe my wording wasn't the best, but I was merely making the point of OUFC spending a lot of money on a very late and risky transfer for a full back who no one knows much about and who wasn’t “ready to go”, when we had many months to have done things more simply and perhaps less costly.

That’s what I still struggle to understand, hardly the need to have a ”pop” about anything being wrong with the forum. Having a go at someone for giving an opinion is what’s wrong with social media, there’s nothing wrong with making a point or merely stating a view (whether that be positive or negative)!

As I’ve said I hope he’ll be a huge success for OUFC and prove worth the outlay.

To be honest i agree with another poster on this. Reading between KR’s slightly blurry lines this is much more to do with player demands than their fitness.

Looking at it simply, we’ve had weeks to sign those free agents. They’ve been available since June. And the longer teams leave them on the shelf, they’re only becoming less match fit. So the only way to stop that is to get them in and give them some minutes which, up until now, no club has been willing to do. Seems odd when you've got clubs struggling for form and changing managers. And… let’s address the elephant in the room, fitness has never stopped KR before, though I am relieved to hear him say it’s at the forefront of his mind, even if it’s not.

There are players there we could and should be interested in and could have here tomorrow. The young lad Max Haygarth is a good example of someone you could at least hand a trial to when we are desperately short up top and refusing to deploy Jones. But my guess is there are some agents around that believe biding their time is the way forward as sooner or later, a club will hit crisis and press the panic button on a massive contract for their client to plug a short term gap with an expensive, long term solution.

If this is as I suspect, the club are absolutely right to stay away and wait for the power to shift and the players to come knocking on our door desperate to play. But they are certainly not getting any fitter watching from home so it's counter productive to leave them there if you do genuinely want them and fitness is all that's stopping us.

Last edited:
The past is past, and oh how I wish it was different. So moving on, in a nutshell we need a left back, a defensive mid and a striker in the January transfer window and our injured players to make a full and seamless recovery by October?

In the mean time, we hang on in there.

Haven’t all of the better performers already moved?
Burns & Devoy to MK
Mandriou to Lincoln
Lyons to Blackpool
There's still plenty of good players in Ireland, many who may have held back in order to move out of contract and get a better pay deal. Certainly no harm in maintaining an interest in those coming through.

I cant see what else overspending the budget means other than going over a set amount.
So if that was the case he was left with little money to spend on deadline day.
Absolute mess hes made.

Many Irish players with contracts until November time. Still plenty out there that would be good additions
At what point are they free to discuss terms with other clubs? Is it in the final month of contract as per domestic rules here or is it still treated as an overseas deal and therefore longer?

What I’m getting at it is are we technically ‘tapping up’ at this point or can we officially tie things up now for contracts to start on 1st Nov?

It's not just our internal budget, it's the EFL expenditure rules as well so Robbo could be leaning towards that but if he means our very own then I can understand why we are probably at the threshold considering how many players we've brought in on what sounds to be big deals. We've probably wasted six-figures on Jones and Smyth too.

Back
Top Bottom