Championship Points Deductions

Any players not paid should just not be allowed to play for the club during the season for the amount of time those wages went unpaid for, on top of point’s deductions, you could have a bit of leeway for errors but if a club doesn’t pay its first team players wages for a couple of months then those players should have to sit it out for a couple of months.

Surely then you're punishing the players twice? They're first not getting paid their due, and then they're not getting to do their job and put themselves in the shop window.

I would've thought a fairer response would be to just say that if a player is paid late three times in a single season, he has the right to terminate his contract and move anywhere he wants for free.

Anyways, looks like we're getting another 19/20 Bolton in League One for next season. It's not impossible Reading could be as well. Meanwhile three good clubs are going up, and none of the League Two promoted sides look ready to do much more than consolidate. 23/24 looks like an opportunity!

Surely then you're punishing the players twice? They're first not getting paid their due, and then they're not getting to do their job and put themselves in the shop window.

I would've thought a fairer response would be to just say that if a player is paid late three times in a single season, he has the right to terminate his contract and move anywhere he wants for free.

Anyways, looks like we're getting another 19/20 Bolton in League One for next season. It's not impossible Reading could be as well. Meanwhile three good clubs are going up, and none of the League Two promoted sides look ready to do much more than consolidate. 23/24 looks like an opportunity!

I think that rule might actually already be in place, but players hang about to make sure they get paid, at least if they can’t play it might encourage them to move.

It’s unfair that clubs who sign on a load of players they can’t afford prosper, that’s unfair on players at other clubs as well as their careers are hampered by cheating so I suppose someone is getting an end of the shitty stick somewhere, would rather it was the clubs who actually cheated even if it’s harsh on the players there. Plus players must have a bit of a clue when they sign on for the likes of Wigan that the wages they get are a bit fantastical.

Deducted the additional 4 points:

Wigan laughably threatening legal action when they agreed to this deadline with the sanction for not meeting it.

The owner is using the "cheque is in the post" defence.

Also if they are looking to cut the wage bill by so much, why have they offered a new contract to Max Power?!

something along those lines Id be in favour of .... if only EFL admin as well as the FA had some backbone, and some B*****s, shame theyre too busy appeasing payers of filthy lucre to, mainly, PL clubs and asking them how high to jump than actually doing the job they ought to be doing.

Deducted the additional 4 points:

Wigan laughably threatening legal action when they agreed to this deadline with the sanction for not meeting it.

The owner is using the "cheque is in the post" defence.

Also if they are looking to cut the wage bill by so much, why have they offered a new contract to Max Power?!
There was something very wrong about the whole Wigan situation last time around and yet they suddenly had money to spend on fees and wages- god knows what the owner spent (or at least promised!) but a 65% wage reduction would suggest it was entirely unrealistic. Once again, this situation stinks.

There was something very wrong about the whole Wigan situation last time around and yet they suddenly had money to spend on fees and wages- god knows what the owner spent (or at least promised!) but a 65% wage reduction would suggest it was entirely unrealistic. Once again, this situation stinks.

They are going to have to hope other clubs want their contracted players as it is pie in the sky to cut it by that much otherwise. Suggestions from a Wigan forum's claimed 'itk's is that apparently those who signed new contracts last summer and mid season don't have a pay cut clauses for relegation as well.

All the hand wringing "what about the fans" is what encourages the rule breaking.

If the powers that be keep giving clubs like this opportunity to take the mick then they will which, in turn, takes the mick out of clubs playing by the rules.

Hit them, hit them hard and send a message.
Yep, always annoys me too.

Because no one ever asks the question - what about the other fans? In 21-22 in League One, MK came third, finishing three points behind Wigan. MK have now, of course, been relegated a year later. It’s not unreasonable to think that, without the players that Wigan were able to pay by cheating, they would have finished at least three points worse off, and MK would have spent the last year in the Championship, rather than in a relegation dogfight. I know it’s not exactly the easiest club to empathise with, but what the MK fans? Are the sentiments of those fans not worthy of some respect?

Similarly, while what happened to Bury is obviously awful, the year they came up (2018-19), Mansfield finished fourth in League Two, three points behind Bury in second. Mansfield lost in the playoffs and have been in that league ever since. Mansfield lost out on a promotion because one team was cheating. Do those fans not deserve some consideration?

As you say, the powers that be need to stop hiding behind an obviously empathetic group of stakeholders in a football club to avoid making hard decisions.

Haven’t fully read all this about the points deduction, correct if I’m wrong but the 2nd 4 point deduction is for still not paying wages, how long before they’re hauled up again for further punishment?

Haven’t fully read all this about the points deduction, correct if I’m wrong but the 2nd 4 point deduction is for still not paying wages, how long before they’re hauled up again for further punishment?

The 2nd 4 point deduction is for failing to pay the 125% of the monthly wage bill into a specific holding account by the deadline. This is on top of the monthly wage bill and I assume this account is to protect the players should they not be paid for a month.

Wigan have shifted 4,000 season tickets which is impressive given the club’s problems.

Wigan have shifted 4,000 season tickets which is impressive given the club’s problems.

Hopefully they've done it using credit card just in case.

Edit: they should have had the money to pay in the 125% and at least the next couple of wage bills as well.

Last edited:
A contract between a player and club is made on the understanding that the player is paid monthly. If the payment is not made, then the contract has been broken by the club. Surely the player can walk?

A contract between a player and club is made on the understanding that the player is paid monthly. If the payment is not made, then the contract has been broken by the club. Surely the player can walk?
On that basis a club could just stop paying anyone they want to get rid of, who is under contract? I don’t think it’s that simple and would have massive repercussions

So if the club doesn't pay the player, the player walks?

We've kind of subverted that with Sam Baldock - he can't walk, but we continue to pay him.

Anyone else hoping for Wigan at home first game, so we can smash em 5-0

One of Wigan's long standing local sponsors, who sponsor the Academy, have cancelled their deal with immediate effect because of the off field financial shenanigans.

All the hand wringing "what about the fans" is what encourages the rule breaking.

If the powers that be keep giving clubs like this opportunity to take the mick then they will which, in turn, takes the mick out of clubs playing by the rules.

I'm so sick of Wigan coming down here and spending their way out. Dock them 40 points as far as I'm concerned. Makes a mockery of the league.

Genuinely laughed at their fans* on their forum who were saying they/the club were being harshly punished rather than the owners, and how the FL were targeting them.

They seem to have amnesia where the promotion they benefitted from which a significant chunk of the wage bill came from that they couldn't afford to pay on time 5 out of 8 months. Likewise there has only been a short while between this and their previous administration.

To counter balance, many were saying they were talking rubbish, and if anything the FL had been lenient considering this was the 3rd deadline they'd failed to meet, for something the club had agreed with.

Back
Top Bottom