Championship Points Deductions

andystroud

If the six-point deduction which Reading received doesn’t impact their relegation, will the deduction be applied next season?
The same question applies to Wigan, whose three point deduction makes no difference at all.
I vaguely remember a rule change to stop clubs taking a point’s deduction when it suited them.

I believe this rule was only for when clubs go into administration.

I think this is because the points deduction were triggered immediately once the club had declared themselves in administration and this could be done at a point which suited them. I don't think any other points deductions are automatic and can be applied when the Football League decides to.

I believe this rule was only for when clubs go into administration.

I think this is because the points deduction were triggered immediately once the club had declared themselves in administration and this could be done at a point which suited them. I don't think any other points deductions are automatic and can be applied when the Football League decides to.

I guess that makes sense with regard to Administration. A shame though 😁

If the six-point deduction which Reading received doesn’t impact their relegation, will the deduction be applied next season?
The same question applies to Wigan, whose three point deduction makes no difference at all.
I vaguely remember a rule change to stop clubs taking a point’s deduction when it suited them.

No. Both point deductions have been applied this season.

I thought there was a rule that before a certain stage of the season, points deductions apply for the current season. After that, depending on whether it affects the relegation places at the end of the season, it applies to the current or next season. Will check

I thought there was a rule that before a certain stage of the season, points deductions apply for the current season. After that, depending on whether it affects the relegation places at the end of the season, it applies to the current or next season. Will check
Yep, this is what I think as well, brought in because of Leeds United, I believe.

Yep, this is what I think as well, brought in because of Leeds United, I believe.
And didn't Steve Evans also try it at some point?

Seem to Remember someone trying to go into administration during the final game of the season to avoid getting the penalty the following season??

Didn't Derby somehow get their points deduction moved to the following season thus ending the single season as a Championship club for the plucky Non-League team...

There is a further suspended 4 point deduction in place as well. If they fail to pay their players' wages and/or fail to pay 125% of wage bill required in the holding account by June then this will automatically triggered. So hopefully the owner fails to do this and they start on -8 points.

Still not enough even if they get to -8.

The deadline to pay the 125% of the wage bill into the holding account is today, if they don't then it should be another 4 point deduction. Nothing so far announced that they have paid it in.

This is the 3rd time they have been told to pay that into the holding account. Also they have a pay day coming up in days as well.

They have 2 lots of wages to pay in June as well so more points deductions could be incoming unless the season ticket money will cover it. I think some have been withholding their purchase because of the situation. I can't see the FL liking being ignored for a 3rd time so they might not be so lenient if they don't pay or pay the wages late this summer.

It is farcical that whilst having trouble paying wages, they negotiated new contracts with 2 of their better paid players. And they have a sizable squad still including the likes James McClean, Will Keane, Josh Magennis etc who will be on good wages.

Sounds like that they have failed to provide the proof that was needed meaning -8points.

I usually have sympathy for the fans but not on this occasion. You were happy to see the club over spend yet again to get back in to the championship but then seem shocked when it comes back to bite you on the a**e.

They should be dealt with the biggest punishment possible IMO.

Any players not paid should just not be allowed to play for the club during the season for the amount of time those wages went unpaid for, on top of point’s deductions, you could have a bit of leeway for errors but if a club doesn’t pay its first team players wages for a couple of months then those players should have to sit it out for a couple of months, if the youth team players can’t fill in because they haven’t been paid then the club would have to forfeit the fixtures and take a 3-0 loss. If you don’t pay players over the summer then it should carry over to the season. Only if a new owner comes in and the debt is settled in full would I end the ban.

It’s ridiculous that clubs are essentially running that can’t even pay wages and are using it to play at a higher level, Wigan are just stealing a promotion spot by overpaying wages they will never be able to afford.

All the hand wringing "what about the fans" is what encourages the rule breaking.

If the powers that be keep giving clubs like this opportunity to take the mick then they will which, in turn, takes the mick out of clubs playing by the rules.

Hit them, hit them hard and send a message.

They have 2 lots of wages to pay in June as well so more points deductions could be incoming unless the season ticket money will cover it. I think some have been withholding their purchase because of the situation. I can't see the FL liking being ignored for a 3rd time so they might not be so lenient if they don't pay or pay the wages late this summer.

It is farcical that whilst having trouble paying wages, they negotiated new contracts with 2 of their better paid players. And they have a sizable squad still including the likes James McClean, Will Keane, Josh Magennis etc who will be on good wages.
Not just negotiated new contracts with them - they made sure those players were paid - not all weren't paid apparently, just the disposable ones.

They should go back to Springfield Park and Non Lge where they belong.

Back
Top Bottom