Away Match Day Thread +++ Peterborough Utd v OUFC - match day thread +++

Can I remind you all that we as a club that since changing its name to Oxford United in 1960 has only had 6 promotions in all that time, 60 years of 6 promotions, I make that an average of 1 promotion per decade...
Yes we have started a new decade so that gives us hope for the next 10 years but again have we developed as a club and has the number of supporters in the last 60 years increased to make it easier to push in...
You have to say no, not really...
Our average attendance has only topped 9000 9 times since 1963 and 5 of the 9 years was in the 1970’s so unless we buy our way into the top two divisions like Reading, Bournemouth, Wigan and to a degree Blackburn did we need to own our own ground or potentially move to a bigger one to increase attendances which increase revenue which gives companies more of a reason to invest, which then can be spent on new better players, which the has a better chance of promotion which then brings in more TV coverage which brings in more TV money and more companies will want to advertise which brings in more money to strengthen again....
We are a relatively small to medium football club with dreams not necessarily ambitions, we have a tight group of fans who on the whole love what we are, what we do, where we have been and hope that we can go on further, reality is that the latter is probably where we are now, a club chasing the limelight and not being in it.....
LOVE FOOTBALL - LOVE OUFC......
Manchester United have only had 1 promotion over the same period.

It's very easy to spend someone else's money.

The fact is we lose 2 mil a year on average and this year we bought a very long lease for the training ground.

We have been playing well and had a very good cup campaign but let's not get ahead of ourselves... we would get torn to pieces in the Championship. Reading spent 50 million in the summer transfer window.

We need to be in a position where we are making money and able to expand our stadium before promotion.

Sorry but i don't subscribe to that train of thought as if you don't "try"to get there then you'll never know

would we say, so let's get relegated then as we'll walk League 2 ? no because it's no more a given than we'd just drop straight down from the Championship.

Perhaps all the "smaller" clubs should just lock the doors throw away the keys and pack up then and leave it the Elite around the Globe.

Whilst I don't disagree - one look at the current Championship table makes for pretty depressing reading.

Bottom four of Luton-Barnsley-Wigan-Charlton. So all three of last year's promoted sides, plus the Champions from the year before.
Rotherham, of course, came straight back down - so the only League One side to not struggle mightily in the Championship the last two years was Blackburn. And that's because they never stopped behaving like a mid-table Championship side, and have a wage-to-income ratio of 150% and lost 20 million quid in a year.

It's all very well talking about splashing the cash to get promoted into the Championship. But the amount of cash we'd have to splash to have a realistic chance of staying there, more than a couple of years at most, is absurd - and to do that before sorting out the club's infrastructure such that we could accommodate more fans and operate on a more sustainable footing, would be akin to just burning a big stack of cash.

I don't like the way that OUFC approached this past transfer window. But I do understand it.
What concerns me more for the medium term health of the club is the complete lack of any apparent movement on the stadium front.
Really good post

But no business attracts investment by standing still. No club attracts sponsors and advertisers by standing still.
And no club attracts new fans or makes existing fans regular attenders, or attracts good players by standing still.
There has to be ambition and there has to be hope.
Nobody wants to come and play for a club with no ambition .... except those young boys ((the Browns and Holland’s) who want to further their careers at their ‘home’ club. So that’s our future.

Yes, and that's a best case scenario.
If our only aim is to stand still and not get promoted we'll soon be by-passed by clubs with more ambition and oomph!

We'll be by-passed in both directions.
It's the nature of the current football world. There are Wolves and Bournemouths who 'have ambition', splash the cash, make good footballing decisions, and establish themselves at the top table. And then there are Portsmouths, Boltons and Burys who 'have ambition', splash the cash, make bad footballing decisions, and then either end up two divisions below their 'natural' spot in the pyramid - or worse.

I'm absolutely on board that it's been a really frustrating month. We were good enough going into January that keeping the squad together, and recruiting a couple more players, would have given us a great shot at promotion.

But unless and until the club owns its own stadium, where it can generate significant revenues and grow as needed, then any attempt to really compete in the Championship with our current infrastructure would mean throwing away ten of millions.

It's certainly not exciting - but attempting to run the club sustainably as and until we have things sorted off the field is the sensible play, assuming that our owners aren't willing to burn their money (and there's nothing we've seen so far in their actions to suggest that they're that kind of sugar daddy).

I'll say it again - my big worry is not the transfer window, but that nothing seems to be happening with regards buying the Kasstad or establishing an alternative.......

We'll be by-passed in both directions.
It's the nature of the current football world. There are Wolves and Bournemouths who 'have ambition', splash the cash, make good footballing decisions, and establish themselves at the top table. And then there are Portsmouths, Boltons and Burys who 'have ambition', splash the cash, make bad footballing decisions, and then either end up two divisions below their 'natural' spot in the pyramid - or worse.

I'm absolutely on board that it's been a really frustrating month. We were good enough going into January that keeping the squad together, and recruiting a couple more players, would have given us a great shot at promotion.

But unless and until the club owns its own stadium, where it can generate significant revenues and grow as needed, then any attempt to really compete in the Championship with our current infrastructure would mean throwing away ten of millions.

It's certainly not exciting - but attempting to run the club sustainably as and until we have things sorted off the field is the sensible play, assuming that our owners aren't willing to burn their money (and there's nothing we've seen so far in their actions to suggest that they're that kind of sugar daddy).

I'll say it again - my big worry is not the transfer window, but that nothing seems to be happening with regards buying the Kasstad or establishing an alternative.......

Problem being if as fans we try to take a more pragmatic view there is no evidence to suggest that on field matters would/will be taken care of once Brand Oxford is realized, or indeed that they would remain at the club.
Whilst today it's sustainability we are to believe, what's to say tomorrow (when new outlet) it wont be the ongoing costs of the new outlets that prevents building a team.
Nothing has been suggested that the playing side is only temporary on hold pending this Brand Oxford project or indeed any intent to invest in the playing side once it all comes to fruition. in fact we no nothing but recent events suggest a watchful eye is needed because let's not forget those currently at the helm are the one's who sign the agreements thus decide the clubs future

What's wrong in saying a player hasn't played well though, as KR did in his interview, as did emailers and texters. Are callers not allowed to?
As much praise for individuals is given when due, as criticism.
No player is immune from criticism. How are people mean to know who you are referring to though when you give your opinion?
Jerome seemed to agree with what was said in the call, and the call was similar to what KR said in his interview, so it couldn't have been that short of the mark.
Jerome agrees’ with every caller it’s the part of being a good journalist. But I haven’t picked faults with your posts on here whereas many other have don’t always agree with yours or kips posts and they can slag you off as much as they want they don’t know you from Adam or Eve for that matter, but I try certainly now to be diplomatic about posts, or are you Paul?

Maybe the whole financial structure of the game needs looking at to make it more competitive. Perhaps a more realistic redistribution of the wealth. It does nothing for the game for all the promoted teams to be immediately relegated after one season.

Maybe the whole financial structure of the game needs looking at to make it more competitive. Perhaps a more realistic redistribution of the wealth. It does nothing for the game for all the promoted teams to be immediately relegated after one season.

don't hold your breath as with most things in life there is a i'm alright jack mentality

Taking it to the next logical step from a board who are publicly saying that they cannot fund us in the championship, I refuse to believe for one instant that the players and the manager would consider it acceptable to P**s away all the achievements of this glittering season so far. Even if it were possible to apply the brakes and slink off into mid-table obscurity.
Surely they wouldn’t pull the plug on this season just because our chairman gets twitchy with finances? Would they? Really??? Nah! Not having that!!
I get that The board may not want promotion and all it entails financially, but what of the rest? Players? Manager?
What would it say about our club (and football as a whole) if we, as fans were somehow mugged off like this?

No. We have to believe that the riches of the Play-offs at least is a huge, huge incentive to push on to the end - only then, if we got there let the fates decide.

Taking it to the next logical step from a board who are publicly saying that they cannot fund us in the championship, I refuse to believe for one instant that the players and the manager would consider it acceptable to P**s away all the achievements of this glittering season so far. Even if it were possible to apply the brakes and slink off into mid-table obscurity.
Surely they wouldn’t pull the plug on this season just because our chairman gets twitchy with finances? Would they? Really??? Nah! Not having that!!
I get that The board may not want promotion and all it entails financially, but what of the rest? Players? Manager?
What would it say about our club (and football as a whole) if we, as fans were somehow mugged off like this?

No. We have to believe that the riches of the Play-offs at least is a huge, huge incentive to push on to the end - only then, if we got there let the fates decide.

There is an Argument that a little reinvestment would mean a chance of the auto's and not the lottery that is the play offs

Jerome agrees’ with every caller it’s the part of being a good journalist. But I haven’t picked faults with your posts on here whereas many other have don’t always agree with yours or kips posts and they can slag you off as much as they want they don’t know you from Adam or Eve for that matter, but I try certainly now to be diplomatic about posts, or are you Paul?

What an outrageous suggestion, I’m shocked I tell you, shocked!?

To be honest I haven't posted much that has led to the old fashioned personal abuse, that has largely dissipated on the board, in recent times. There will always be the old dinosaurs on here that seem to target a few. I haven't posted much to disagree with really, as I still think we are in a relatively good position to get into the play offs.

i would say constructive criticism is fine but it does feel sometimes that once fans decide to not like a player (for whatever reason) that person can never be recognized as having done ok or better.
a few from history off the top of my head...Matt Murphy Billy Jefferies David Smith Jemson and Moody 2nd time were often slaughtered Alex Mcdonald Matt Bound

Fully agree, but there are still one or two on here who either don't like the club to be criticised, or enjoy giving out abuse if a post in anyway questions the manager.
Some need to realise everyone's comments are valid, that's the point of a forum. Even when we were in the box seat for a promotion challenge for promotion in December, some were still dishing it out.

To be honest I haven't posted much that has led to the old fashioned personal abuse, that has largely dissipated on the board, in recent times. There will always be the old dinosaurs on here that seem to target a few. I haven't posted much to disagree with really, as I still think we are in a relatively good position to get into the play offs.
It would be nice but we have to regroup after Saturdays performance, I hope KR will look at the formation personally I don’t think Taylor is ready yet so I would be inclined to start like we did against Newcastle with Browne in the centre forward role.

It would be nice but we have to regroup after Saturdays performance, I hope KR will look at the formation personally I don’t think Taylor is ready yet so I would be inclined to start like we did against Newcastle with Browne in the centre forward role.
Provided Browne is fit and can get the ball to feet and then bring others in to play then yes!

Back
Top Bottom