Away Match Day Thread +++ Peterborough Utd v OUFC - match day thread +++

What is a little reinvestment?

1 Million for Cadden and 4 mil for Grigg?

Never put those figures and i've said a thousand times that Gregg was a non runner from the off but some appeared to live in hope until 11pm that he or a n other would be in the building despite the manager telling that was not the case 24 hours prior.

What i will say is that Tranmere had 3 Yes 3 strikers in talks in the building, are you telling me that from the 2 players sold and the cup runs money, there was nothing for re investing.

What is no reinvesting?

standing still not recognizing a decent prospect of promotion was staring you in the face ---mid table obscurity?

No best to s**t ourselves as we'll only come straight down again

At least we don't have to believe the Rhetoric come the summer and the push for season tickets, memberships etc as everyone can decide to invest their money knowing they are content to settle for also rans.

Never put those figures and i've said a thousand times that Gregg was a non runner from the off but some appeared to live in hope until 11pm that he or a n other would be in the building despite the manager telling that was not the case 24 hours prior.

What i will say is that Tranmere had 3 Yes 3 strikers in talks in the building, are you telling me that from the 2 players sold and the cup runs money, there was nothing for re investing.

What is no reinvesting?

standing still not recognizing a decent prospect of promotion was staring you in the face ---mid table obscurity?

No best to s**t ourselves as we'll only come straight down again

At least we don't have to believe the Rhetoric come the summer and the push for season tickets, memberships etc as everyone can decide to invest their money knowing they are content to settle for also rans.
Yeah I don’t understand it. We seem to have no trouble finding wingers and midfielders, but Karl really struggles with strikers, and we’ve had problems getting full backs since before his time.

It would be nice but we have to regroup after Saturdays performance, I hope KR will look at the formation personally I don’t think Taylor is ready yet so I would be inclined to start like we did against Newcastle with Browne in the centre forward role.

What do you think about a radical change, to give some of the regulars a rest?
Bringing in Holland, Kelly, Thorne, Agyei and possibly Hanson, into the starting line up.

What do you think about a radical change, to give some of the regulars a rest?
Bringing in Holland, Kelly, Thorne, Agyei and possibly Hanson, into the starting line up.
Possible definitely Holland for his pace if Kelly’s fit yes with Thorne it would depend on who to give a rest if he can do the DM role them Gorrin for a rest as regards Agyei I don’t know what he’s got to do for a chance and Hamson is an interesting one interesting in where Mid or Full back

12 months ago we went to Accrington and put in one of the worst defensive performances I can remember seeing as an Oxford fan. Players were playing badly and making awful basic mistakes, players were playing out of position, we had been in a terrible run of form since Christmas 2018, tactics were wrong and we were spiralling towards relegation. It took that beating to knock us into shape and realise we needed to pull our socks up and to the manager, coaches and players credit we went on a superb run from that dismal display to the end of the season.

We have now just suffered another beating conceding 4 like we did at Accrington. We are in a similar vein of poor results to last season. The circumstances of the Peterborough defeat are very different though and rather than trying to salvage a season and ward off relegation like last year the opportunity for a great season is still achievable. This is where the manager makes his money, there can be no sentiment with the players as he needs to be bold with his decisions to get us on a similar run to what we had last season and galvanise things again. Whether that is 5 at the back, and I find it difficult to understand how Moore is not in the team, or 2 up front, dropping the injured players until they are fully ready to come back, or something else, something needs to be done to change it and freshen it up. The one common theme all season is that we don't score anywhere near enough scruffy goals, even in September/October when we were scoring goals for fun a large proportion of those were worldies from outside the box. Tactics can change all of that. There is still a great chance to do something this season, and if we do make the play offs or better the manager will be rightly lauded a success.

This is a free hit to reach the play offs, the worst that can happen is we finish mid table which is probably where we were going to finish at the start of the season anyway and that at least would allow the board to give themselves a pat on the back with a job well done. It could be a good time to get some of the highly rated youngsters involved and try and find a gem amongst them which in turn gives them a sell on value and possibly changes what players we need to look for in the Summer.

there are no guarantees in life but selling 2 assets 24 hours before window shuts and failing to cover key areas when there is such a feel good factor within the club helps how/
As previously mentioned it helps balance the books.

I ask again; what do you think the club should have spent in the window?

3 million reinvested is not going to guarantee promotion.

No one asked for the club to reinvest 3 million. The whole point was robbo said all transfer window they were after another rb, lb and striker none of these happened where other clubs in are league were making signings left right and centre so we must of been offering peanuts. If we would have bailed out missing out on the play offs giving it a good go then fair enough, but the fact we didn't bring these players in says to me the board didn't want promotion and derailed the train by cashing in on 2 of are first 11. Now hopefully we do get in to the playoffs but if we end up mid table then the club have seriously got a big job in the summer of keeping players, recruiting new players and getting the fans back that have been topping are attendances this season.

Possible definitely Holland for his pace if Kelly’s fit yes with Thorne it would depend on who to give a rest if he can do the DM role them Gorrin for a rest as regards Agyei I don’t know what he’s got to do for a chance and Hamson is an interesting one interesting in where Mid or Full back

He can play full back, but seemed to play better in the midfield area, but can you really rest Long or a midfielder?
Agyei seems to have done something wrong. Taylor wasn't match fit yesterday. Brown was feeling the effects of Tuesday, and could do with a rest before Sunderland, possibly.

No one asked for the club to reinvest 3 million. The whole point was robbo said all transfer window they were after another rb, lb and striker none of these happened where other clubs in are league were making signings left right and centre so we must of been offering peanuts. If we would have bailed out missing out on the play offs giving it a good go then fair enough, but the fact we didn't bring these players in says to me the board didn't want promotion and derailed the train by cashing in on 2 of are first 11. Now hopefully we do get in to the playoffs but if we end up mid table then the club have seriously got a big job in the summer of keeping players, recruiting new players and getting the fans back that have been topping are attendances this season.

Until the summer, we go with what we've got, which could be enough. We didn't spend as some other clubs did, but that debate is for May. A once in a generation chance to go up, with a strong squad and a Division 1 where no team is dominant.

12 months ago we went to Accrington and put in one of the worst defensive performances I can remember seeing as an Oxford fan. Players were playing badly and making awful basic mistakes, players were playing out of position, we had been in a terrible run of form since Christmas 2018, tactics were wrong and we were spiralling towards relegation. It took that beating to knock us into shape and realise we needed to pull our socks up and to the manager, coaches and players credit we went on a superb run from that dismal display to the end of the season.

We have now just suffered another beating conceding 4 like we did at Accrington. We are in a similar vein of poor results to last season. The circumstances of the Peterborough defeat are very different though and rather than trying to salvage a season and ward off relegation like last year the opportunity for a great season is still achievable. This is where the manager makes his money, there can be no sentiment with the players as he needs to be bold with his decisions to get us on a similar run to what we had last season and galvanise things again. Whether that is 5 at the back, and I find it difficult to understand how Moore is not in the team, or 2 up front, dropping the injured players until they are fully ready to come back, or something else, something needs to be done to change it and freshen it up. The one common theme all season is that we don't score anywhere near enough scruffy goals, even in September/October when we were scoring goals for fun a large proportion of those were worldies from outside the box. Tactics can change all of that. There is still a great chance to do something this season, and if we do make the play offs or better the manager will be rightly lauded a success.

This is a free hit to reach the play offs, the worst that can happen is we finish mid table which is probably where we were going to finish at the start of the season anyway and that at least would allow the board to give themselves a pat on the back with a job well done. It could be a good time to get some of the highly rated youngsters involved and try and find a gem amongst them which in turn gives them a sell on value and possibly changes what players we need to look for in the Summer.

The youngsters are not ready, for the large part as many of the preseason games showed, hence they are out gaining experience. There may well be some gems in there, but they are still being polished.

I was responding to horseman who requested reinvestment from the sale of Baptiste and Fosu.

I think you are confusing what Robinson says with reality.
When he brought Holland and Browne in he thanked the board for stretching the budget.

I'm not sure our attendances this season are anything to shout about.

Don’t want to come across all rose tinted but a lot of this thread is a load of ill founded negative B*****s.

This team will come again.

Well beaten yesterday by a useful team who took advantage of our definite Tuesday night tiredness.

Have to say that the OUFC contingent actually at Peterborough kept supporting all game though and there was very little moaning.

The signs were there before yesterday’s game that we’re not the same team from 6 weeks ago or so.

I’ll stand by my original gut feeling, in that we needed to replace Cadden with a likewise player. I’d even go as far as saying I think Cadden was more influential to the team that Baptiste and Fosu. I think I might have said that earlier on here somewhere.

Personally, I think we’ll lose again Tuesday or draw at best, but after a poor January we need a win, but I think I’d take a draw now if you gave it to me.

Thought Eastwood’s comment or lack of after yesterday’s game said a lot about the feeling in the players camp. Reading between the lines I’d say they feel let down by the lack of ambition. They worked their socks off in the league to put us in a fighting chance of making the play-offs/automatic promotion, done really well in the cups to gain much needed additional un budgeted revenue, probably thinking that the board would strengthen the squad, but did the opposite.

I guess we see what February brings as I’m sure come the end of it, if we’re in or within touching distance of the play offs then it might just give us that spur to finish the season on a high.

If we had won yesterday we would have only been 2 points behind Peterborough with 2 games in hand, so it just shows what a few wins can do.

On the subject of Taylor, not meaning to bash him, but I was excited as anyone when we signed him. I was on holiday in Bulgaria when the announcement was made and it gave me a real kick and I couldnt wait to see him play in the yellow of Oxford. Now, getting on six months on and its difficult to say the move has been the success we all hoped and envisaged. If the loan was to end tomorrow Id be interested to see how people would rate the signing out of 10. Im struggling to give it more than five unfortunately. I’ll look back on his time here as ‘good player but hardly ever fit’.

... ‘good player but hardly ever fit’.
I think that is right. He is missing much service at the moment, and spending time as a lone and very isolated striker (which I don't think is really him) but he didn't look fit yesterday - along with several others - and obviously has some sort of ongoing problem. On that basis, unless they know what it is and can fix it, I wouldn't be busting a gut to sign him if I were the club...

He can play full back, but seemed to play better in the midfield area, but can you really rest Long or a midfielder?
Agyei seems to have done something wrong. Taylor wasn't match fit yesterday. Brown was feeling the effects of Tuesday, and could do with a rest before Sunderland, possibly.
Don’t think Brannagan is ready yet

Back
Top Bottom