Home Match Day Thread +++ 13/8/2019 EFL Cup 1st Rnd: OUFC v Peterborough FC +++

This may be controversial but it’s my opinion. I don’t think Robbie Hall will be anywhere near back to his best as we used to see him, I reckon his speed and confidence has gone, ok he might play more games but I don’t think he will be here at the end of the season. Forde looked to come on into the game as did Moore, Sykes needs more time, Long Sam was solid and dependable, Hanson, Brannigan, Dickie, Ruffles, are the mainstays with Gorrin (or Rodriquez) the find of the season.

We’re doing well, long may it continue as it’s a great feeling.
Errm, didn't come off the bench yesterday.

Poor game but interesting to see understudies, very satisfying result.
Brannagan has all-round quality rarely seen in my 35 years following club. Glorious performance.
Posh were absolute filth (esp in first half), Napa legbreaker was malicious and a disgrace.
Really worry for Hall. Miles off. Hope it's just match fitness, fear his agility and acceleration is shot - team mates were having to adjust their game around him and so ineffective Posh didn't really bother covering him in second half. Henry coming on improved our right flank greatly.
Think KR was expecting more from some players based on his RadOx interview.
Hanson worked hard and got his foot in well from time to time. Passing erratic though (verging on dangerous at times) and often ponderous, slowing us down at just the wrong moment. Pushing forward near the end won us the winning FK.
Sykes full of energy and some nice touches - tried a tad too hard and ended up in deadends. Several times he was our only man in the box, not sure if that was planned. Looking forward to seeing more of him.
Moore was everything you'd want in a third division CB, impressive debut against tricky adversaries and has the look of a bloke who just loves the basics of defending. Dickie great again with a simpler brief than Saturday to just stay back and win everything. Which he did.
Long was fine and worked bloody hard all game. Few chances to overlap safely with Hall struggling.
Woodburn looks quality but clearly not a No.9. He was often a bit ahead of the pace of his teammates but stayed positive and seems up for the dirty side too. Good signing. Potential to be a stellar one, time will tell.
Eastwood, Ruffels solid. Forde improved as game went on and looks like he knows what he's doing, confident first start.
Most important defensive header was Mo Eisa denying Toney at the end - those two screwing up each other's game all night was a highlight ;)
Absolutely loved the way we exploited Posh nerves around the hour mark by slowing things down and just keeping possession - it really did their heads in and was something other teams did to us far too often last season
The defending that lead to FK for the goal was as bad we'll see all season.
Have a feeling the new wall infraction rule played a part in our goal. Ref was faffing for ages keeping our players away from their wall, their defenders all over the shop trying to decide whether to make a second bank of three, keeper looked lost and out of control. Credit to henry and Brannagan for their choreography.
Posh have some decent players but were painfully predictable and seemed totally devoid of imagination. Darren Ferguson is on thin ice.

Last edited:
So a bad challenge breaking a leg gets as much mention as the previous game being a bit windy and wrongly accusing the Ref of not knowing the new substitution law.
And it still shows how substandard the referees are that was a booking all day long and I don’t think Naismith went over to make his apologies either.

This made me laugh (from the posh forum)

"And I, for one, am glad we shan’t be going to that smelly venue again for a while".

"Did you notice that the 'smell' put in an appearance about ten minutes before the end of the game? It was during 'smell time' that we conceded again!
:shock:
"

"And I, for one, am glad we shan’t be going to that smelly venue again for a while".

"Did you notice that the 'smell' put in an appearance about ten minutes before the end of the game? It was during 'smell time' that we conceded again!
"

The we’re right in saying they were the better side last night but they didn’t mention what that t**t Naismith did makes me wonder what if that was the other way round and Tony was taken out how would they have reacted.
But we all agree on one thing the, rather standard of refereeing, although the comment they made about sneaking one in but for the lino’s flag......Tony was at least a yard off side.

And it still shows how substandard the referees are that was a booking all day long and I don’t think Naismith went over to make his apologies either.
This is the worst part for me, I haven't seen the tackle so can't judge it, but think it's appalling that there's been no public apology from Naismith, either immediately after the game or since

Best part about last night for me was the fact that our CB combo (average age 22.5) were up against an attacking duo valued at 5.5m (Eisa cost 1.5, and apparently Posh turned down 4m for Toney), and they not only kept a clean sheet but also gave up very few goalscoring opportunities.

Yes, Eisa & Toney are clearly still working out how to play together (and in that respect, it's probably a good thing for us to be playing them so early in the season. Twice!) but still, they've both got the talent to play in a higher league.

With Moore and Dickie still contracted for 2 and 3 years more, we could have a great CB partnership for years to come and/or a couple of very valuable assets on our hands...….

You know though it would mean so much less now, being prompted to come out and say some belated (unmeant) apology.
You would expect more from professional players though wouldn’t you?
Napa is only a young lad learning his trade. He isn’t some snidey streetwise pro, busy shithousing their defence.
What goes around comes around!

Frustrated with Ben Woodburn tonight. Just felt he showed his immaturity at times giving away petty fouls here and there.

Really hoping he comes good soon as it’s fairly obvious that he has the capability, but just needs to do the simple things first and hold up the ball if and when he can.

What I like about Woodburn is that he isn't afraid to shoot, I think we lacked that last year (apart from Henry). Definitely is confident but as you said hopefully that doesn't shine through in cockiness or immaturity.

"

I smelt that too! (For the first time ever) what was that?!

Back
Top Bottom