Home Match Day Thread +++ 13/8/2019 EFL Cup 1st Rnd: OUFC v Peterborough FC +++

Tbh mate I would have taken Hall of and replaced him with Cadden I think that would have been an improvement. Hall is a good player but he is far from what we know he is capable of doing.

But Hall is only going to get there by playing games so 70 odd minutes towards that achieved yesterday.

Tbh mate I would have taken Hall of and replaced him with Cadden I think that would have been an improvement. Hall is a good player but he is far from what we know he is capable of doing.
Cadden wasn't on the bench so our only real option was Henry as happened or Gorrin to tighten up the middle. We all know what Hall was capable of, and that can increase the frustration when he doesn't deliver. But he is still getting back to match sharpness, and also we have to remember that last night was a battle. I'm sure we'll see much more from Hall as the season goes on.

Cadden wasn't on the bench so our only real option was Henry as happened or Gorrin to tighten up the middle. We all know what Hall was capable of, and that can increase the frustration when he doesn't deliver. But he is still getting back to match sharpness, and also we have to remember that last night was a battle. I'm sure we'll see much more from Hall as the season goes on.
I appreciate Hall needs game time to try and return to what we know he is capable of, but it would have to be in games like this and thenpiss pot trophy. I’m afraid he is far from ready for first team action.

Just watched the ifollow highlights of the game. Commentary back on - quite honestly wish they hadn't bothered. Apparently we were "second best all evening"
No mention or video of the tackle that left Nappa with a suspected broken leg but extra slow-motion of Longs tackle for a card. And did you know, they are called "throw-ons" not throw ins?
Appalling video quality as well. This really has got to change. Amateur stuff. What happened to the HD quality that was coming?

True, but as he be just wrote he is still a long way off from first team football.
I agree, sort of, but last night was a first team game and it was a perfect time to play him. I'd hope he would get time in the Millwall game and in the Doesn't Matter Cup as well.

For me the big difference between the teams was that we played for each other and Peterborough, despite having some very good players up front, played as individuals, each for themselves. Fergie jnr. has a lot of work to do if he wants to keep his job. I don't think he'll make Christmas.

I don't think it's any surprise that after the game on Saturday Robbo was talking about not having stars but having a team. Sunderland and Peterborough both have star players but no cohesiveness that brings them together. Yesterday was a difficult game, but everyone battled and when the tackles started flying in no one went missing. It's this 'culture' along with some genuinely exciting talent that should hopefully bring us success.

It's important to keep a little momentum so there's no point putting out an entire reserve side, but Sam Long, Elliott Moore, Jamie Hanson, Mark Sykes and Robbie Hall can all come in and play their part and it will give them a chance to stake a claim for coming games.

I'd love to see Ben Woodburn get a run as striker or in a free role, and to get a goal or two. He is some player and a little confidence could see him blow this league apart!

Too close to the mark there @Scotchegg !
Proof you are KR ?????

Confirmed Napa has a broken leg, but why the hell didn’t Naismith get at least a yellow card as the initial challenge was a free kick but for the t**t to follow up like he did was inexcusable. Imagine all the furore if by some chance Eisa was tackled and his leg broke, we wouldn’t have heard the end of it.

For me the big difference between the teams was that we played for each other and Peterborough, despite having some very good players up front, played as individuals, each for themselves. Fergie jnr. has a lot of work to do if he wants to keep his job. I don't think he'll make Christmas.
I was thinking the exact same thing. If they do get going the game at theirs will be a different story tho.
The only thing I would add is that defensively we look so solid. And I don’t just mean the actual defence. Under pressure they way the whole team defended in the last few games was excellent. Getting back behind the ball quickly.
Perhaps we’re just very good and they’ll pick up points when they come up against lesser teams.

Last edited:
Henry was also shaping up to put the ball over the wall. If you watch him he is constantly glancing to that corner and positioning himself to take the free kick. Ge then took a couple of steps towards the ball which the keeper bought, moving to his left and being wrong footed for the goal. Just goes to show that free kicks are much more than just the guy who kicks it - not taking anything away from CamBran of course!

This may be controversial but it’s my opinion. I don’t think Robbie Hall will be anywhere near back to his best as we used to see him, I reckon his speed and confidence has gone, ok he might play more games but I don’t think he will be here at the end of the season. Forde looked to come on into the game as did Moore, Sykes needs more time, Long Sam was solid and dependable, Hanson, Brannigan, Dickie, Ruffles, are the mainstays with Gorrin (or Rodriquez) the find of the season.

We’re doing well, long may it continue as it’s a great feeling.

Back
Top Bottom