Home Match Day Thread +++ 29/02/20 OUFC V Southend Utd +++

In Kieran Maguire’s book The Price of Football, he makes an interesting point about free transfers. Although a club might think of transfer fees and wages as total cost of a player, it might upset the changing room if one player is on a bigger wage because they arrived on a free.
Been meaning to buy this, is it decent? He's a great twitter follow

Just watched the highlights to see what happened for the pen (as you couldn't see it from the Jim Smith Stand). What on earth was their keeper doing? Taylor had his back to goal, and really wasn't in much of a scoring position. Not only that but how do some of their players then have the cheek to throw up their hands as if they can't believe the ref's decision! :)

Anyone else think that could have been a red card? He didn't even get a booking and there was no attempt to play the ball.
Fortunately we won, so it doesn't really matter, other than we could have made it more comfortable.

Last edited:
I asked that during the game and someone pointed out that there was defensive cover so it was just unsportsmanlike behaviour which is a yellow. Definitely should have been a yellow.

I don’t hate him, just don’t think he’s not fit or has much mobility, so think we have wasted a player.

You don’t think he’s not fit? So you think he is fit?

Anyone else think that could have been a red card? He didn't even get a booking and there was no attempt to play the ball.
Fortunately we won, so it doesn't really matter, other than we could have made it more comfortavle.

Think the penalty was enough, plus us robbing them of 3 points!

There’s been a rule change where the penalty given means it’s not a red unless it’s serious foul play or dangerous - hasn’t there?

• React
Reactions: MJB
There’s been a rule change where the penalty given means it’s not a red unless it’s serious foul play or dangerous - hasn’t there?

For it not to be a red when a penalty is given for a clear goalscoring opportunity, the challenge has to be a genuine attempt at the ball. Just tripping somebody up without a proper attempt at the ball can still be a red card and a penalty.

For it not to be a red when a penalty is given for a clear goalscoring opportunity, the challenge has to be a genuine attempt at the ball. Just tripping somebody up without a proper attempt at the ball can still be a red card and a penalty.

Indeed. Although this was an interesting case as he was clearly not attempting to win the ball. It would have been a very harsh red (and particularly when you have the certainty of Henry taking your penalty!) but perhaps one of our resident refs on here can advise.

Indeed. Although this was an interesting case as he was clearly not attempting to win the ball. It would have been a very harsh red (and particularly when you have the certainty of Henry taking your penalty!) but perhaps one of our resident refs on here can advise.

It wouldn't be classed as a clear goalscoring opportunity would be my take on it as said earlier by somebody else, as they had 2 players on the line and Taylor was going away from goal. Definitely a yellow though.

It wouldn't be classed as a clear goalscoring opportunity would be my take on it as said earlier by somebody else, as they had 2 players on the line and Taylor was going away from goal. Definitely a yellow though.

Only two players on the line for Taylor? Pah!

Been meaning to buy this, is it decent? He's a great twitter follow
Well I am enjoying reading it. It might be a bit technical for the first few chapters explaining profit and loss, balance sheet and cashflow statements, but it has lots of real-life examples which you can relate to, such as Leicester winning the Premier League and then playing in Europe. Further chapters are about for instance TV money, financial fair play rules.

He Taylor has his back to goal so not a clear goal scoring attempt so no red but yes a yellow, last season it would have been a red.

Back
Top Bottom